View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Red Faction: Guerrilla 

Post Red Faction: Guerrilla
Red Faction: Guerrilla.
For those of you who don't know it, look it up.
For those of you who do, discuss.

I love this game. It's like, the perfect game in my book. You roam around everywhere like GTA, literally have the ability to destroy everything, and you shoot people.
I don't have XBL at the moment, so I can't say anything about the multiplayer.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:41 am

Post Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla
It's a great game, but you die way to easly due to the random, unpredictable nature of building materials. Like when your in a intense fire fight and out of no-where you get a brick to the face #DEAD#. Or when you accidentally hit something to make whole building go boom with you inside. I think those moments make the game great ;3

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:08 am

I absolutely LOVED the first one.
It was like, the best FPS for the PC back then.

The 2nd one was crap though, but this, this is going to be epic.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:25 pm

I frown at no indestructable terrain.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:14 pm

Scope0 wrote:

Destructible terrain in a 3D game like that is probably really ♥♥♥♥ hard to make.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Scope0 wrote:

I frown at your double negatives.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:15 pm

I played the demo. Destructible terrain would be kind of uh.. game breaking. Like destroying all the roads and stuff. Unless it re spawned.
Destruction without creation leads to nothing

Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:28 am

amazing game i love just wandering about killing edf
Also if you want destructible terrain then try and get the first one it is a fps made just before halo:combat evolved so it was overlooked big time
it is just Red Faction its is very good for its age :) it uses geomod 1.00
were Red Faction: Guerrilla uses geomod 2.00

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:15 pm

I love the game, though the only thing that was particularily awesome was the Geomod 2.0 technology. The rest of the game was kind of ♥♥♥♥.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:15 am

Herm...I wish they didn't f--king delay the PC version. First it was June 2nd, then June 9th, then 'some time in July', then 'August 25th is, for certain, when it will be released', and FINALLY, September 15 as of now. They've already confirmed that the PC version will have no modding tools and no extras (and they better not mean 'no DLC' by that!). Plus Volition doesn't exactly have the best track record for PC ports, like with Saints Row 2. I just hope the reason the PC version was delayed 3 months is because they worked hard on it to make it be un-terrible.

In the mean-time, to sate my destructive needs, I would have thrown Koreans into peoples' houses in Crysis on Very High, appreciating every moment, but then one day lines kept on popping up randomly, so I thought, 'oh, well, I'll just reinstall it!' but it turned out that after uninstalling it, I needed the CD Key to REinstall it. I didn't have the sticker with it on it nor the manual...

So, instead, I just downloaded Phys House for G-Mod and played it on Half-Life 2 and broke stuff. It isn't as good as RFG is supposed to be, though...

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:50 pm

I got it and it's ♥♥♥♥ GREAT. My only gripes are that the building stress system can be really late at times, and the enemies can be a bit annoying after awhile. I have Xbox Live and I'll be happy to play with anyone.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:41 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Played this a bit more.

Two main gripes:
1. the HYPER DUPER REALISTIC STRESS SYSTEM just pretty much has everything fall down on top of itself. Including towers that are several stories high. I have yet to be able to get anything to fall down sideways to any significant degree. Also, bridge spans can be ridiculously long (footbridges) without support at one end.

2. Certain objects seem to be capable of getting "stuck" in midair, which also locks surrounding building materials in midair. Which, while entertaining, is not very good for the "realism" thing.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:52 am

Grif wrote:
Played this a bit more.

Two main gripes:
1. the HYPER DUPER REALISTIC STRESS SYSTEM just pretty much has everything fall down on top of itself. Including towers that are several stories high. I have yet to be able to get anything to fall down sideways to any significant degree. Also, bridge spans can be ridiculously long (footbridges) without support at one end.

2. Certain objects seem to be capable of getting "stuck" in midair, which also locks surrounding building materials in midair. Which, while entertaining, is not very good for the "realism" thing.

Yeah, the stress system basically doesn't exist. Doesn't stop it from being fun though.

My biggest complain is probably the buildings sinking when they crumble. There's not nearly enough rubble.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:07 am

Once I made a building fall sideways into another building, destroying them both.

But only once.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:47 pm

Okay, dissenting opinion here:

my biggest complaint is how completely f*cking awful the story is, and how laughably poor the voice acting is (not to mention the A.I.). In these departments, it's among the worst games i have ever played. I'd start walking into the upgrade room, then i'd hear people try to stream-of-consciousness at me about what they thought of the revolution or whatever, and then i'd start running to the upgrade point just to get them to shut the hell up. I'd turn on the subtitles and just hook my ipod up to my speakers in the last few days of playing. I skipped every conversation in the entire game if i could. It was that bad.

There were times when this almost made it more fun, especially in the mission where the goal is to drive and dodge the artillery fire in the blindspot or whatever. Just seeing the ridiculous antics of the other drivers as they crash into eachother and explode while spouting totally worthless "alarm dialogue" was, for some reason, intensely pleasurable to me. I felt the game was onto itself there, it really knew what it was and it was having a laugh at its own expense. I can't be sure if that was intentional.

Also, visually, nothing looked interesting. The design for the weapons and other props was lazy. The environments were boring, it didn't show me anything i hadn't already seen a thousand times.

Gameplay-wise the gun-fights are lacking and one-dimensional. Killing the enemy is not really very fun or challenging.

The only thing they did well (i'm convinced it's the only thing they really gave more than a few minutes thought to) was the destructible buildings, and i say that instead of "physics" because the physics weren't even that impressive outside of blowing sh*t up. I had a lot of fun just bouncing on my fellow red-factioneers and doing semi-controlled demolitions on my own time. When i had destroyed everything there was to destroy i found myself completely bored with everything else the game had to offer. Before long, even bringing down a huge military complex or roadside-bombing an EDF convoy got stale.

It was a game i played for a week and then, one day, just didn't feel the urge to play anymore. It didn't have any momentum. It's sad that a game that's built around the concept of "infinite possibility" for destruction ended up being so boring and narrow in my mind. There was no force behind it, i didn't care why i wanted to oust the oppressors. i guess they killed my brother (who i knew for maybe two minutes and, honestly, wasn't that impressed by), but, Jesus.

The thing that could have saved this game was writing. And writing is a hell of a lot cheaper for a development team than a robust physics engine. Writing is probably the cheapest part of the whole development process, and overlooking that crucial part was this game's downfall. It could have just called itself a simulator and dodged the annoying "story" element of the thing, but when it called itself a game and attempted so pathetically to get any kind of emotional response from the player it didn't have the strength to stand up.

I am convinced that this is a game that was written only by programmers. They did a decent job on the code but they shouldn't be writing stories.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next