View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Indie Brawl + Gameplay Vid 

Post Re: Indie Brawl
Hi there. I'm Brian Soulliard, Indie Brawl's project lead. I stumbled across this thread, and felt I had to clear a few things up.

First of all, I like you, Contrary. And I think your sprites are pretty darn good, especially for someone without a whole lot of experience. The Golden Idol and Crystal Skull sprites, in particular, turned out beautifully.

What I tried to point out in my earlier posts (perhaps a bit too bluntly) is that everything that goes into Indie Brawl is there for a reason. Everything needs a fun and useful gameplay niche, as well as a pretty sprite. So while Dafred and the Damsel both look pretty good, I have no clue how they would translate into game mechanics. The Drop Pod and Pottery are both cool, but they're a bit redundant with the Yellow Cube, which already functions as an item container. If you can give me a better idea of how they would function in-game, I might be able to include them.

In the future, if you have an idea for something we could include that we haven't thought of, it's usually better to post the suggestion before working on the sprite. I just don't want you to spend hours working on a sprite, hoping we'll use it, and then we can't think of a good way for it to function in-game.

Of course, if you're just making the sprites for fun and practice, then keep at it. It's the only way you'll get better (and you're off to a great start). When you posted them in IB's forums I just assumed that you wanted them to be included somehow.

Sorry if I scared you away. We'd love to have you back. :)

Secondly, I've tried the Cortex Command demo briefly, but I never really got into it. I'm just not usually a fan of physics-based games. It's personal preference (I never got into Gish or Trine either). But I can certainly see why it's so popular.

I'd love to include more from Cortex Command, but since I'm pretty unfamiliar with the game, I wouldn't know what to include. We'd like to include the rocket-propelled chainsaw as an item, but haven't gotten any farther than that. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'd like to work in more CC references than a single item, since it's certainly a notable game. I just don't know where to start.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:37 am

Well, for items you could make a throwable robot 1 head or something, or maybe a digger, to chew through enemies. Crap, that reminds me, I need to finish some stuff I'm making.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:16 pm
Profile WWW

If you're going to add characters, crab or Coalition light.

Last edited by Kallemort on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:17 pm

Add the blue clone.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:17 pm
Loose Canon

Have a crab be an item that just scuttles along and hurts anyone it hits.

oh hei, i have over 400 posts. I didn't even notice that I had crossed that mark.

Last edited by TorrentHKU on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

SMG is pretty well known. That, and shotgun.
Green/blue clone + SMG, grenade, and shotgun.
Maybe short range attach in the form of a digger.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:21 pm

actually i think that a brain bot or dummy would be more recognizable, possibly with a gun or 2. maybe even the ability to call down a dropship to do bombing runs! or spawn some ai driven clones that shoot enemy players!

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

A Coalition Heavy Trooper (http://www.datarealms.com/images/footer.jpg, guy on the left) would probably be most representative of Cortex Command at its current stage, given that the Coalition is pretty much who you're going to be playing as in the campaign. You could also do the Green Clone, which is basically the original incarnation of the aforementioned trooper from early builds. A general description for either of these would be a fairly slow heavy weapons unit.

Double jump could be a jetpack that actually hovers, or if you'd prefer to keep jumps the same, a quick jetpack burst.

Standard attack while moving would probably be the Pistol. Assuming you're doing the Heavy Trooper, that would more or less be a green Desert Eagle. Assuming you're doing the classic Green Clone, it would be a Glock pistol.

Standard attack while still would probably be best suited to the shotgun. Doing the Heavy Trooper, it would look like this: Image. Doing the Green Clone, it would be your standard pump-action shotgun.

A good special attack while moving would be a digger. Basically, the clone would take the device out and keep it running while slowly walking forward to balance it out a bit. It would work like this (without the enemy violently exploding of course): Image
This attack would have to be limited in some way, though, considering how powerful it is.
Special attack at a standstill for the Heavy Trooper would probably be a rocket launcher (

Image). As for the Green Clone, the Flak Cannon would be the closest thing (Image). The Flak cannon fires out a shell that explodes into shrapnel after about half a second.

As an item, the Crab could work a lot like Mr. Saturn from Smash Brothers, although you do already have thrown items that just bounce off of people. Maybe it could scurry frantically around the platform it's on like the Hothead from Mario games with a little exclamation mark over its head like it does in CC (not hurting the player who threw it of course).

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 pm
Profile WWW

FFFFFUUUUU Guys he found us. *Runs away and cries* Ok... I think I understand. But you know that's the problem with politeness, it strangles communication.

I thought Dared would be an equally good character, though he is less iconic he is actually a character, instead of a generic grunt (Though Dafred is also a disposable trooper, he has a name and whatnot). And he could use his shovel for melee.
Edit: I take that back... I think that readability is more important the style- But I'm heavily biased for Ronin.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Post Re: Indie Brawl + Gameplay Vid
Quote:
Permission Granted
Naija/Sun Temple/Sea Loaf/Sea Cake/Spicy Roll/Hot Soup/Bomb/Cactus Seed/Mia/Nautilus/Spelunker (Bit Blot/Derek)
The Golden Knight/Bonesaw Stage (Xerus)
Turner (Wolfire Games)
Iji/Asha (Ultimortal)
Xoda Rap/Noitu Love/Omega Darn/Chalk/Rilo (konjak)
Gish/Meatboy (Edmund/Cryptic Sea)
Sexy Hiker/Crayon (jazzuo)
Lyle/Blue Cube/Green Cube/Yellow Cube/Red Cube (Nic Destefano)**
Dwarf (Bay 12 Games)
Charles Barkley/Hell B-Ball/Cyberdwarf (Tales of Games)
Trilby/Cabadath/John Defoe (Yahtzee)
Liero/Health Pack/Chiquita Bomb (Joosa Riekkinen)
Nikujin (Ikiki)
Ip/Invincible Burger/Life Toast (Podunkian)
Gomez (Phil Fish)
Gunlimb (Radnom)
Asia/Mondo Medicals/Shotgun Ninja (cactus)
Death Worm Desert/Electro Mine (JTR)
Fantastic Blood Boy (Gustav Kilman)
Juni/Knytt Garden/Umbrella/Hologram/Ball (Nifflas)*
Pathspace/Ortho Point/Cut Point (RPGCreations)
Akuji (E. Hashimoto)
Samorost (Amanita Design)
Crayon Physics (Kloonigames)
The Tower (Auntie Pixelante)
Potion of Inversion (John Haas)
Karoshi (2DCube)
Imp (TeeGee)
Seiklus (Cly5m)
Armadillo (Peter Stock)
Beethro (Caravel Games)
Rescue the Beagles/Owl (16x16)
Goo Ball/Regurgitation Pumping Station (2D Boy)
Kaltos (Mark Pay)
Rope Burner (Kian Bashiri)
Bird Statue/Golden Arrow (Matt Makes Games)

Permission Pending
Blue Knight/Alien Hominid (The Behemoth)
I Wanna be the Guy Stage (Kayin)
Banana Nababa Axe (Lazrael)
Allergic Pig (Matt Hammill)
Kittey (Bernie)
Reimu/Marisa (ZUN)
Madotsuki (Kikiyama)
Tim (Jon Blow)
Rocket Propelled Chainsaw (Data Realms)
Shmup Storm- Tumiki Fighter (Kenta Cho)
Shmup Storm- Warning Forever Ship (Hikware)
Shmup Storm- Fraxy Ship (Mon)

Permission Denied
Lameza/Lamp of Time (GR3/Nigoro)
Quote/Curly/Balrog/Outer Wall/Heart Capsule/Red Flower (Pixel)

Lol.
RPC wants in.

Anyhow....
Dafred
Green/Blue Clone
Dummy
Coalition Heavy.......

At least one of them should get in.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:29 am

Definitely the dummy. It's the character I think of first, when I think CC.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:48 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Dafred/Blue Clone are both modeled after Data, if you want to go down that road. Somehow I think Indie Brawl is generally reserved for indie characters, not developers :P

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:01 am
Profile WWW

He said no to CC characters, because "We have no iconic characters".
They have a Dwarf from Dwarf fortress though, who is the height of non-iconicalness.
>:C
Let's raid his house, spritesheets and movelists in hand. I figure if we present a finished character, he'll have to consider it.

http://yfrog.com/4adafredp

I'm not really a good spriter yet, but if one of you guys makes a good sheet, I'd be glad to help

Quote:
Dafred/Blue Clone are both modeled after Data, if you want to go down that road. Somehow I think Indie Brawl is generally reserved for indie characters, not muscly rippling gods

Fix'd. And I dunno. I'd like to see Derek Yu as a character. :P.
And so what I Dafred is modeled after Data? They look nothing alike., and I think Dafred has gained his own reputation by now.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:04 am

I still say a dummy would be perfect

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:21 am

I still say a Coalition trooper / Green Clone would be perfect. Green clone has been in for ages, dummies just got in.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next