View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 A good gamepad. 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post A good gamepad.
So, I'm going to buy a new gamepad. Can anybody here recommend some? Layout should be either the playstation layout or the XBox layout.

Preferably less that 30 euros.

Sat May 01, 2010 9:30 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: A good gamepad.
Do you have an xbox or playstation controller?
If you do, you can just use that.

Sat May 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Ok: I don't really like playing on the Xbox, I prefer the Playstation, but one thing I can say is that the Xbox controllers are very nice.

Sat May 01, 2010 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I don't have any controllers besides the Wiimote.

Sat May 01, 2010 6:47 pm

I disagree. Among most gamers the Xbox is inferior to the Playstation. Particularly among people who play Fighting Games many find the Xbox controller unbearable bad. Many would have decided buy Playstation over Xbox solely for this reason, even if the Playstations numerous other advantages were not a factor.

I got two PS2->PC adapters at RadioShack for 98 cents each. You can get PS2 controllers for hella cheap everywhere now, too. 20 dollars at most brand new.

Logitech will do in a pinch, as well.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Well, I like Playstation controller set-ups, but the handle is sort of small, so in my opinion the Xbox controllers are more comfortable to hold.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Also, I mainly use it for playing games like Assassin's Creed and Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:38 pm

Contrary wrote:
I disagree. Among most gamers the Xbox is inferior to the Playstation. Particularly among people who play Fighting Games many find the Xbox controller unbearable bad. Many would have decided buy Playstation over Xbox solely for this reason, even if the Playstations numerous other advantages were not a factor.

But for gamers who play FPS's the xbox's controller is superior.
For racing game's I'm not sure....
for RPG's it doesn't mater
for most puzzles it doesn't mater

Considering this is for the PC, I seriously doubt its for a fighting game. in fact the only PC games I know of that have any reason for a controller are either racing games or, more than likely, FPS's. to which point I just have to say you had better have good controller support. Steam's current controller support in their games suck ass, and I haven't tried any others since. I recommend either XPadder for FPSers. some things you can get away with using joy2key, but if you set it up right xpadder is superior. better analog/axis support.

but seriously, what do you actually need the controller for, that really helps narrow down a controller... If your looking to play mechwarrior or something your not gonna get away with a $30 controller.

-EDIT-
Natti wrote:
Also, I mainly use it for playing games like Assassin's Creed and Need for Speed Most Wanted.

uh... well assassin's creed is what, an action/platformer, and need for speed is racing, so... it doesn't really matter.

360 USB is already USB, PS2/3 controllers would require an adapter and therefor more purchaces. also the 6axis is more expensive anyway. if your going for price or how easy it is to get, go with the 360, unless you find the controller to be unbearable, then go with a PS2 controller as contrary suggests. Oh the irony of the names.

Last edited by Miles_T3hR4t on Sat May 01, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Read my previous post. Mainly for Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:48 pm

I am not saying the PS3 controller is ONLY better for fighters, I am simply using that as an example because fighters have the greatest need for quality interface. The xbox controller is famous for its awful pieces and quality. In comes from the makers of a console that needs replacing before my disposable razor does. Many people have to conduct surgery on theirs to make it usable (for fighting games).

But if you prefer unnecessary bulk and you aren't doing anything requiring precision, AND you don't mind forking out that extra 10 dollars, by all means.

Edit: I am using PS3 and PS3 interchangeably because they are basically the same except for different triggers and sixaxis. If you are not going to get a Sony controller, you could go with Xbox for the simplicity of purchase, or go with a Logitech gamepad if you want to be really cheap.

Last edited by Contrary on Sat May 01, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Actually, Miles, you are misinformed, PS3 controllers come with usb charger cables, which also work for plugging it into your PC.
You wont need an adapter or anything, though you will need to get drivers.

I'm not sure if you need to get drivers for Xbox controllers as well.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:57 pm
Profile WWW

Lol serious? I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I thought you needed a bluetooth dongle.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:58 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
-EDIT-
Natti wrote:

uh... well assassin's creed is what, an action/platformer, and need for speed is racing, so... it doesn't really matter.

360 USB is already USB, PS2/3 controllers would require an adapter and therefor more purchaces. also the 6axis is more expensive anyway. if your going for price or how easy it is to get, go with the 360, unless you find the controller to be unbearable, then go with a PS2 controller as contrary suggests. Oh the irony of the names.
Assassin's Creed is pretty much a fighting game. As much as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:59 pm

Not if you have a charger cable. It plugs in like any other USB device.

Sat May 01, 2010 8:59 pm
Profile WWW

CrazyMLC wrote:
Actually, Miles, you are misinformed, PS3 controllers come with usb charger cables, which also work for plugging it into your PC.
You wont need an adapter or anything, though you will need to get drivers.

I'm not sure if you need to get drivers for Xbox controllers as well.

O RLY? I did not know this.

Contrary wrote:
I am not saying the PS3 controller is ONLY better for fighters, I am simply using that as an example because fighters have the greatest need for quality interface. The xbox controller is famous for its awful pieces and quality. In comes from the makers of a console that needs replacing before my disposable razor does. Many people have to conduct surgery on theirs to make it usable (for fighting games).

But if you prefer unnecessary bulk and you aren't doing anything requiring precision, AND you don't mind forking out that extra 10 dollars, by all means.

Edit: I am using PS3 and PS3 interchangeably because they are basically the same except for different triggers and sixaxis. If you are not going to get a Sony controller, you could go with Xbox for the simplicity of purchase, or go with a Logitech gamepad if you want to be really cheap.

your apparently a bit misinformed about the 360. my system only red-ringed ONCE and that was because my power-supply got fried, and i needed a new one (got it free lol). as for the controllers, I've had the same 3 xbox controllers since the 360 first came out, and the only 'quality problems' i've had are that the rubber bits on the thumbsticks eventually wore off, and 2 of the 6 total triggers occasionally stick, and thats 'cause someone spilled pop on them.

in terms of 360 vs PS3 it's personal preference. the only real differences are.

1. The 360 does NOT have 6axis, the PS3 does
2. the PS1/2/3 controllers have both analogs on the bottom and the DPad on top
while the 360's switch where the DPad and left analog stick are.
3. PS2 analog sensitivity is lower than the 360 but the 6axis is most likely better still. (i'm assuming this based on the times that they came out, technology has undoubtably improved since the PS2)
4. the sony controllers have a FLAT surface for the buttons, while the 360 has more of a curve
5. the 360 controller is *probably* heavier. I do not know, I have never compared. this is because...
6. the 360 controller is bigger. If you have smaller hands, go with sony, seriously.

The only other differences are just a meaningless spat between sony and microsoft. people hate microsoft because it's not perfect, but I hate sony because they're pretentious. and considering you already said the only controllers you have are wii-motes, I assume you have a Wii, and thus don't give a damn. that or your a nintendo fanboy, which is fine too.

My suggestion, Go to a best-buy, go to the game section and find some demos of 360 and PS3 games, and get a feel for the controllers and figure out which you like. Personally *I* prefer the 360, because it's what I'm accustomed to. If I ever get a PS3, which is more and more likely... I want MGS and heavy rain....

Keep in mind, this is me. Gamer who's played since the sega genesis when it was new. I've known the NES, SNES, Genesis, Genesis 6-button, SNES Arcade controller, N64, PS1, PS2, XBox, 360, Wii mote, Wii Classic controller, Game boy, GBA, DS, DSi, Game Gear, Nomad, GP32, NeoGeoPocket, arcade games, and flight-sim joysticks. been there, Done that.

For fighting games, Nothing beats the SNES, up until you NEED more buttons, which AC does. short of a custom controller, it's ALL personal preference because in this day and age the only problems are if your controller BREAKS (read: take care of it) or if there's LAG, which in this day and age, the difference in lag for controller inputs is in single digit milliseconds.

TL:DR
Go to a game store, and compare the controllers in your hands, and get whatever you like better. Don't throw them across the room and they'll last forever, they're worth it. Price wise PS2<360<6axis quality, bias aside they're *about* the same. I say this because I've never had a PS2 controller OR 360 controller break that wasn't horribly abused, though the PS2 controllers always wind up rattling which worries me.

Sun May 02, 2010 12:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next