View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Metal Gear Solid: Rising 

Post Re: Metal Gear Solid: Rising
From my experience, games just don't work that well with Wiimotes and such. The only one that I really liked was Twilight Princess, but that games 'cutting' was really simplified. If the combat with Raiden is gonna be complex, its prolly not gonna work very well with any kind of motion controller. I will stick with my Xbox and PS3 gamepad for it.
Mouse and Keyboard still beats everything.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:26 pm

matty406 wrote:
...what?
Well i wouldn't know, would I? I don't Follow MGS.

Ah, I'll explain; in the previous installment (MGS4), Raiden aka the main guy from Rising holds back an enormous battleship (one about the size of a football stadium) using nothing but his body for a good half minute; on the off-chance that you're curious enough to see that, here are the cutscenes leading up to his feat: if you don't feel like watching the whole thing, and I doubt you do, the part I'm referring to is from 6:40 to about 7:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... MM3jDoN5Vo

Also, I imagine that they've revamped the system, but in MGS2, Raiden got a katana at the end of the game courtesy of Olga, and it was controlled by the right analog stick. Up made an up slice, down made a down, left/right did the same respectively, pushing R3 made a stab, rotating it quickly made a spin attack, etc. They might be doing something similar here.

But I imagine there are more weapons than just the katana; Konami's not stupid enough to assume that they can get away with such repetitive gameplay. I don't think they're showing much of the game in it's current state, and they probably have much more planned, so be patient guise.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa50U7eR ... re=related
Watch it.

The playstation move is way more accurate than the wiimote, and they work differently.
http://www.thanklessgrind.com/news/hey- ... -move/114/
Quote:
The technology seems to be like the Wii Remote but backwards. While the Wiimote has a camera in it that sees the UV lights on the censor bar then transmits positional information back to the wii using the wireless signal, the Move does it the other way round. It uses a PlayStation Eye camera to work out where the Move is by looking for a positional tracker on the Move (cleverly disguised as a massive glowing ball), and also uses a bluetooth connection to transmit button presses, etc. The thing this seems to do better than the wiimote is being able to detect how far the Move is away. You can see this in action in the demonstrations where they take a image of you as seen from the camera and superimpose a different object such a sword or frying pan into your hand over the top of the Move. This seems to work far better and faster than anything the Wii has ever done.

The system has a couple of other notable features. The Eye has some Natal style head tracking in it which means that developers can finally make the nodding/shaking head based conversation systems I've been waiting for. The games can also control the colour and brightness of the glowing ball thing, which I can see being used in a future hacking mini-game.

(Also, minor correction, it uses Infrared light, not Ultraviolet lights. Still.)

EDIT:
More videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCYKL1_y ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0puP8nr ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kScdcYixxM

Last edited by CrazyMLC on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:13 am
Profile WWW

Sony always does it better.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:17 am

No matter what I am going to get this game. My only problem with it, is that some of the game might have gay Raiden in it. Just like in 2. So annoying. I count these towards my DVD and game collection.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:18 am

I hope he'll be a good balance between himself in 2 and 4. 2 was annoying, true, he had a squeaky voice and complained about everything and constantly talked with his pregnant girlfriend about how he had no soul because he was a child soldier (A WHITE CHILD SOLDIER AT THAT) But in 4 he felt like the cliche action hero to me. A monotne deep-throat voice, does bad-ass feats without breaking a sweat, doesnt afraid of anything, etc. I hope they make him more realistic in this game. Most of the series' protagonists and antagonists have been beautifully constructed to seem like human beings, with emotions, but Raiden has always felt hollow to me.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:48 am

I dunno. In 4 he seemed in alot more pain, which kinda led him to the whole action hero badassness. His whole child soldier thing, Sonny, his wife. It all comes together more in 4 and really gets to him. I personally think he is one of the coolest characters after the scene with him and his no armed sword play...
Personal preference I guess.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:54 am

How would you know its Raiden? It could be Gray fox, or maybe even Raiden's son?

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:45 am

That the game is about him? Well, his face on the preview was a bit of a giveaway. And most of the other stuff I have read about it seem to point in that direction. Edumicated guessery

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:51 am

Coops9753 wrote:
How would you know its Raiden? It could be Gray fox, or maybe even Raiden's son?

It's a prequel depicting Raiden before the events of MGS4, so it's sometime between 2009 and 2014. This has been officially confirmed by Konami.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:05 am

Oh ok, your right... It is Raiden...

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:57 am

If I remember correctly, we get to see him go from annoying, gay Raiden to badass Raiden. I can't wait...

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:22 am

Am I really the only one who will enjoy the game but still isn't at all happy about this? I mean, okay, the first MGS games were pretty much ENTIRELY stealth; you get caught, you're ♥♥♥♥' dead. Then you had MGS: Substinence and MGS:4 and you ended up with about a 60/40 blend of stealth and full-on combat. A pretty good blend, only a little bit away from the original formula. You could feasibly run-and-gun your way through, but it would be more fun and in a way easier to attempt to avoid face-to-face confrontations. But this, MGS: Rising, it looks like it's taking the series in a new, non-stealthy direction. What the ♥♥♥♥, man? Where's the stealth in that trailer? You see it a bit in the cinematic in the beginning...like, you spend a second or two in the shadows followed by cutting the cyborg thing in thirds. Then, the rest of the trailer is CUT CUT CUT COLLAPSE BUILDING SLICE SLICE CUT LADDER AND PEOPLE SLICE SLICE SLO-MO DICE THE GUY IN MID-AIR INTO THREE OR FOUR SEGMENTS!!!11!!!!111oneone!!!one111!
Uh, that isn't MGS. That's a game about some ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ who is either a whiny ♥♥♥♥♥ (2) or a way-overpowered cheapo (4). Oh and he gets a special sword too.

TL;DR: Game will be fun, but it's not MGS, as so far no stealth gameplay has been shown at all. It'll be a cool game, but it won't be a true MGS game. Hell, the MGS games prior were taglined with 'Tactical Espionage Action'; this is tagged with 'Lightning Bolt Action'. That in itself is a sign that they're taking the game in a new, and for me, unwanted direction.

Last edited by Ociamarru on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:12 am

I'll miss the stealth. I always liked it... I haven't found many other games with gameplay like that.
(Although I was horrible at the games...)

Still, it does look entertaining.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:41 am
Profile WWW

Well, series progress. I am fairly sure, that they wanna continue making money off of the series. And with 4 pretty much being the end of Snake, it would make sense to start into Raiden with the games.
While yes the games are going to probably progress away from the stealth mechanic, I am sure they will make it fun, whatever it becomes.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next