View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Attention anyone who uses Steam 

Post Re: Attention anyone who uses Steam
Not really a question at all, more of a statement.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:34 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

LordVonKain wrote:
i find it amusing how sceptical i was of steam when i first got it.

I still remain sceptical of steam. I much prefer Impulse, which has recently became part of the Gamestop Network.

I've never heard of Gamestop before...

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

well my sceptism of the idea was more of a scam/money grabbing way, but it does has it's flaws (regarding the internet to play game unless you predict that you will have internet shortage and decide to go Offline mode)

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:08 am

caekdaemon wrote:

Really?
Gamestop is where I've bought (almost) all my games, for like, my entire life.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:12 am

Jack Trades wrote:
almost forgotten Metroidvania genre.

What no. What? No! NO WHAT NOOOOO!!!

Fives indie games describing themselves as "Metroidvania" are released every minute. Look at how many indie games are Cave Story clones alone...

Quote:
And walking past the same corridor with constantly respawning monsters for 1001st time in Castlevania is not grinding? :grin:
There's exactly the same gear progression mechanics in Terraria, the gear you get allows you to travel further and further down under ground, beat tougher monsters, get better gear, repeat. Grand finale, with a massive boss fight.

Exactly like in Castlevania but without story.

Uh maybe newer Castlevanias but traditionally when you say a game is "like Castlevania" you mean the original and ones like the original. You don't need to grind in the original. In fact you can't really grind for anything and you progress to get closer to beating the game.

Terraria as far as I can tell has no purpose or goal whatsoever you grind to get better gear so you can... Grind better.

Not to mention the fact that Terraria looks- I don't even know how to describe it. Like if a 12 year old's first Game Maker game accidentally ran through the set of 2 Girls 1 Cup.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:30 am
Loose Canon

I understand all you pixel artists shitting on it for being colorful and having a palette that's all over the place and banding and whatever the hell else you freak out about, but seriously. Terraria doesn't look that bad.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:35 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

unwoundpath wrote:
caekdaemon wrote:

Really?

Really.

Britain does not appear to have Gamestop stores.

The closest we have is GAME and Gamestation.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:22 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
I understand all you pixel artists shitting on it for being colorful and having a palette that's all over the place and banding and whatever the hell else you freak out about, but seriously. Terraria doesn't look that bad.

Honestly i never cared about how terraria looks, it works fine so what else should there be said,

Then again i just viewpoint graphics at the point if it look and does what it should do it good.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:30 am

caekdaemon wrote:
unwoundpath wrote:
caekdaemon wrote:

Really?

Really.

Well, I've never heard of those so were even :P

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:55 am

Whenever I play roguelikes like DF or Nethack i never use tilesets. Yet I puke whenever I see Terraria screenshots (which is good because then the puke often covers my screen). Terraria's graphics aren't just an insult to pixel art, they are an insult to quality.

Anyone anywhere who believes in anything relating to the concept of quality should be offended that they have the audacity to put such putrid little pixels shits in a paid product. It is a dire insult to anyone who has ever tried to do a good job on anything.

In other news Killing Floor looks alright.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:17 am

unwoundpath wrote:
caekdaemon wrote:
unwoundpath wrote:
caekdaemon wrote:

Really?

Really.

Well, I've never heard of those so were even :P

Funny thing is, it the same company.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:25 am

¡ Don't seem to understand the fuss about Terraria's graphics. Really, it isn't bad, but It could be improved.
& if you hate it so much, why don't you get a Zelda texturepack? That's what they were made for.
¡ Hate. Hate. Hate graphics fanboys. Games are about Gameplay. Its honestly somewhere in the name.

Also, ¡ know ¡ can switch updates off. But honestly, who throws a buggy update. On the bright side, uncapped is coming soon.
Woop.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:03 am
Profile YIM WWW

trystanr wrote:
¡ Don't seem to understand the fuss about Terraria's graphics. Really, it isn't bad, but It could be improved.
& if you hate it so much, why don't you get a Zelda texturepack? That's what they were made for.
¡ Hate. Hate. Hate graphics fanboys. Games are about Gameplay. Its honestly somewhere in the name.

Also, ¡ know ¡ can switch updates off. But honestly, who throws a buggy update. On the bright side, uncapped is coming soon.
Woop.

Yeah, i can agree with that because you if you try and introduce someone to a more classic game they just look at it and started to mock it. Terraira the only Reason i hate that is because When that was released it had all the features of minecraft from the period that i would rather forget and was basicly an extended minecraft in my eyes.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:29 am

The appearance of the game also effect your decision to play it Not just the graphic's or the design they chose and to be honest this kinda applies to everything, people tend to like the look of something before they decide to bother with it. in terms of you see a game, if the graphic doesn't please you straight away, high chance you won't bother with it.

as for terrraria,
It's really one of those silly things that Terraria get hate for, They see an idea, change some core features, add more features in. and people start to rip it out hard.
in terms of most of the minecraft fanboys (and to be honest I see minecraft highly overhyped / overrated, although Notch is a fluffy funball of love and fun) minecraft is honestly not that special, not without mods. which from what I know, terraria lacks the ability to mod stuff inside the game

honestly anyone who say Terraria has ♥♥♥♥ graphics have no idea what the ♥♥♥♥ they're on about and should honestly shut the hell up. It just goes back to what my viewpoint is on graphics, If it does it job and works, they're good graphics.
now that's my little rant.

And to be honest Sims that's a kinda weak reason to hate a game. I believe when minecraft was first release you couldn't get killed and there wasn't any mining or crafting what so ever, and i don't recall any rage/hate over it. everyone has to start somewhere with ideas before they decide to advance over.
and to be honest i personally think Terraria > minecraft. Not to say minecraft sucks, i just enjoy terraria way more than minecraft.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:08 am

IMO, the game doesn't have to be graphically advanced, it just have to look good.
No, looking good doesn't mean you need to have 3D up-the-ass, it just means that you've put a little thought in how your game is going to look and all elements are balanced and look good together.

Both Terraria and Minecraft are good looking games, so is ASCII Dwarf Fortress. While there are some newer games with 3D graphics that doesn't look good at all (can't really give any examples right now but there are).

I consider Minecraft and Terraria as two completely different games, and both of them has great gameplay (though, Minecraft get boring A LOT faster).

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next