View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 TF2 Engineer update, Thoughts, prep, and speculation. 

Post Re: TF2 Engineer update, Thoughts, prep, and speculation.
One...more...wrench.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 pm

The Gunslinger...THAT'S an offensive-engineering weapon! Shame the TF2 servers are dead because of all the traffic, but ♥♥♥♥ YES! AND MOVABLE SENTRIES CONFIRMED FROM AN ACHIEVEMENT! AND GUITAR TAUNT-KILL!

Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:16 am

Don't you DARE try and pretend that THIS promotes turtling

Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:27 am

Nah, you still have to admit that the other two unlocks are turtling-friendly, though. I wanna know what the Southern Hospitality (spiked wrench made by WatchMaker) does.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:35 am

Well I don't have to admit that and won't because they don't.
The wrangler I will admit is quite turtlish, but you can't really add many weapons to the engineer without making one that caters to the main playstyle.
I still maintain that the frontier justice is definitely not a turtling weapon though. Just having a sentry in a location where it can get kills does not constitute turtling, especially as you get crits just for having it blow up so you can use a level one placed in the front lines somewhere. Let the SG handle itself (and be at the mercy of fellow Engies and Pyros). If it's getting a fair few assists, you can wander around blasting stuff with crits before enemies get to your SG, and then fall back when it gets too hot and begin tanking. Your Pistol could be used to make up for the FJ's lack of magazine size, and there'd be a higher chance of Pistol crits too (as both the kills from the FJ and the SG would boost the Engy's normal crit chance).

Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:53 am

Ociamarru wrote:
Nah, you still have to admit that the other two unlocks are turtling-friendly, though. I wanna know what the Southern Hospitality (spiked wrench made by WatchMaker) does.

Southern hospitality : craft with Ambassador + Scrap metal
Hits cause bleeding like tribalman's shiv, but causes 20% fire damage weakness

Wrangler : you can move while aiming.. you point at a spot, it aims at the spot. you can move, it can't... so YOU aren't a sitting duck, but the sentry is, but it has a bad-ass shield.

So how about this.

Build sentry, Upgrade to lv 3, Move it to the battlements on 2-fort, pull out the wrangler, and hop around the battlements shooting things with the sentry, occasionally picking it up and running away to do repairs. turtling is now irrelevant.

Also engineer now has 2 taunt kills, Guitar smash, and drill hand. SH has the same taunt as the wrench, and I haven't seen the wrangler taunt...

I'm thinking of Ambassador + scrap = SH, SH + sniper token = engineer token, Engie token + secondary + scrap = wrangler, (which is the first achieve drop, after 5 achieves anyway)
after getting 5 achieves, take one of the SH's and make whatever engie weapon you want if you have tokens.

OH MY GOD EDIT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecs76IkKkKk engineer rocket jumping all over like a crazy person
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDtj3e7dZ_c Engineer rocket jumps and pick up sentry at the same time to re-place instantly.

BEST.
UPDATE.
EVER!

Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW

<3 playing TF2 before lunch.
(click for larger)

In other news, Hightower, Upward and Thunder Mountain are all amazing.
I'm glad Valve noted the deficiency in payload maps.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:37 am
Profile WWW

Haven't tried out the new maps, but now I've been consistently topping the DM server I play on, along with the alternate DM server of the same name, and also a few of the cp_orange servers I play on. But the cp_orange servers are BECAUSE of the excess of Engineers; sniping/heavying/demoing/spying makes it really easy to top.

But yeah, the Gunslinger is amazing, I finally see. I mean, all the people on the forums who say it needs no buff are stupid, though...they say you're supposed to HIDE it out of SITE; I could do that with a regular level 1+sentry and heal it. No, you plop it down in the heat of battle and DON'T use the Wrangler with it, use the Frontier Justice.

The pistol and shotty deal about the same DPS. Pistol does about 90 DPS, and the shotty fires 60 damage a shot if all pellets hit, and it fires slightly less than 2 shots a second, so it does about 90 - 120 DPS, but only close up.

So what I do is fire at them with the Pistol, plop down a Combat MiniSentry, smack it once with my fist, and then BOOM, it's built. I switch to the pistol again, and the combined DPS is enough that I can kill low - health classes in roughly a second, and the rest other than heavy in 2 or 3 seconds. Heavy usually takes 4 seconds to kill like this, but I can reliably, easily kill all the classes one-on-one or two-on-one.

That's where the Frontier Justice comes in. Once, I had four people rush me; I took out the Scout and the Spy first, then pulled out my FJ and destroyed my sentry. Then, I took out the Soldier pretty quickly with my crits. Then, the heavy, I just fired a shot, reloaded, ran for some cover. I had about half health, so I just built another Combat MiniSentry, and hit him from two sides. Took 'em both out, rushed to a dispenser, and I was all good.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Best update ever.
I was on an empty serv with my friend and I saw him far away setting up a sentry and I put my sentry on a platform where I was. Later I used my wrangler to shoot him down and his sentry.

This is so fun.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:30 pm

On the Orange maps, I plopped a mini-sentry right out into the middle of the
battle field and wrangled 2 snipers, and then I just wrangled the heck out of
people that were far away.

Then, I could just pick it up, move to the top of the tower, and set it down on
the edge so I could rain a death of bullets from above.

A lucky demo makes it up the tower to get me from behind? No problem, just
wrangle the sticky bombs away, and then take care of him.

I was unstoppable. (This was the first day, I was one of the first people to have
the wrangler, and nobody knew how to deal with it. Trying this now is a good way
to get yourself killed.)

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:27 am
Profile WWW

Zalo, this is off-topic, but for some reason I see you in A LOT of forums that I occasionally lurk at. So, uh, did you at one time have a Fun-Motion account? (Physics games site)
Yeah, been a member there for quite a while, but back on topic.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:07 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

God damn I want the wrangler...

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:43 pm

I accidentally crafted both my frontier justice and wrangler, and I suck balls at random item drop
I'm screwed

Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:11 am

I have all the items. They are really quite fun.
The mini-sentry actually has 75% DPS as opposed to 50%. This is because whilst each individual bullet indeed does 50% damage as stated, it also has 150% firing rate.
Anyway: Warguy, do you know how to craft otherwise? Do you have a large amount of duplicates? If the answers were no and yes respectively, then I believe we could help you in terms of your lack of specific items.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:46 am
Profile WWW

i got the fj and the gunslinger, to get item drops get the millastones for the engineer, i got my 2 by getting millastones. (as soon as i got it, i got a item when died.)

Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next