View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 EXILE Development 

Post Re: EXILE Development
Dammit Geti you're awesome.

I could volunteer for help or whatever, but I'm not really good at all that hardcore Lua stuff.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:40 pm
Profile WWW

robolee wrote:
edit: read you're wanting to do it love, I'm a c++ man, plus isn't this game a bit too hardcore for love?
Problem is, I haven't touched any cpp in years and years, so I'd be relearning as I go, which generally leads to a heap of refactoring work.. If you had a data driven engine I could essentially plug a game into though I'd be stoked. I don't think this is too hardcore for love, it's really just painting backgrounds and objects, writing a level format and having box2d handle physics. Fairly simple when you think about it ( like anything ever turns out as planned ;) ), I think love isn't given enough respect as far as ability to handle games is concerned. Regardless, If there were to come along a delicious custom engine that I could work with, I sure wouldn't complain, I just won't be able to work with the source until I have the time to relearn the language (read: in 11 weeks or so)
robolee wrote:
So yeah if you need help I would love to work on Exile, especially if Arne was occasionally providing input.
I'd be keen for some help, no question. Haven't talked to Arne about it yet, I suppose if I'm serious about this I should..

whitty wrote:
Do minor terrain displacement. Nothing major like CC, just something.... less. It looks beautiful man, keep it up.
That's the plan. In the design doc, Arne talks about having destructible plants, sediments etc. I'd probably take that further and have some rocks and soil layers destructible (though I suppose all soil layers are sedimentary when you're getting picky).
Shows roughly what bits I'm thinking of as destructible in that mockup. The rest of the grass should be highlighted btw. Maybe the surfaces of the rocks can be smashed apart.

Lizard wrote:
If this turns out anywhere near as epic as meteor pirate island game it's going to be pure win.
I love how Ilopocalypse still has less than 48hours development time on it :P I might get that 2P thing happening at some point btw, I just don't have the motivation at the moment.

Glad everyone likes the look of this, I suppose that's kind of the point of it in any case.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:43 am
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

CrazyMLC wrote:
Perfectly willing to beta/alpha test.

Also, I could help with boring stuff with art you mentioned.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:29 am

Duh102 wrote:
CrazyMLC wrote:

Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:39 am
Profile WWW

Yo dawgs, I've got no experience using it, but this could be bloody handy, I'm so over making my own class construction functions etc for lua.

Might get another drawing done today, or cut the current one into layers and make a prototype, I've got a lot of other work to do though.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:57 am
Profile WWW

Got no coding done (too busy :() but I did get a design for the captain done, based on the C64 sprite and Arne's similarly inspired design. Lazy rendering
It'll probably stay as abstract as the scribble in the mockup, I thought it was quite cute and fitting.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:10 am
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Couldn't help myself...

Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:18 pm

I'd love to help. Though, while I am a coder, I don't know anything about flash. Always wanted to work on a game.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:12 pm

We're likely doing it using love as a framework, sneakymax, meaning most of the coding will be in lua. Glad to have you onboard if you're keen

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

Hm, I've always wanted to learn Lua. Can't be too hard, can it?

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:23 pm

i can toss in neat ideas, and im fairly good with love2d. i just made an air-hockey game in it.
btw, how will you be creating the levels? i think a homegrown placement editor is needed for this type of game.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:33 am

Commodore111 wrote:
Duh102 wrote:
CrazyMLC wrote:

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:34 am

SneakyMax wrote:
Hm, I've always wanted to learn Lua. Can't be too hard, can it?
Easy as piss.
lafe wrote:
btw, how will you be creating the levels? i think a homegrown placement editor is needed for this type of game.
Yeah, I was thinking I might cannibalise inkscape as an editor unless someone wants to make one. I'm not fussed with the level format much, it really just has to be store a location of a background layer or two, foreground layer (which is the hittable terrain), some parallax background refs (for areas where the sky is visible, maybe for deep caves), object locations and orientations (ie type,x,y,r, possibly scale too so I can reuse the object drawings more. And HFlipped, in hindsight) as well as the level geometry (up to 8-sided convex polygons and sensors. inkscape pumps out .svgs which are really .xmls and it's fine for the polygonal stuff etc. I'd love to have a native editor though :)

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:01 am
Profile WWW

whitty wrote:
Commodore111 wrote:
Duh102 wrote:
CrazyMLC wrote:

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:45 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

okay guys enough with the quotepyramid