View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 43  Next
 1 Bar Design - Updates and Discussion - NEW SITE + PW 
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Prelude: A Side Scrollin' Zombie Fort Game
Found a bug:
If you jump and cling onto a one tile tall space with a ledge you end up crouched ontop of the tile that is the roof block in the tunnel.

edit: hmm, seems to only happen when you hold the jump button.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:16 pm

3POK_PHALE wrote:
The link simply isn't working for me.
Report any error codes please. Also check again?

FoiL wrote:
If you add some sort of mortar or mounted auto-cannon that destroys terrain I shall cry manly tears.
Mounted autocannon might happen once ammo is in to prevent abuse, mortars are very likely to be in once grenades are.

findude wrote:
The collapsing system is being a bit hard to predict. Care to explain the logic behind it?
Perhaps handle floating isles with a cheat system, along with infinite ammo and such?
Oh and yeah, put some info on what version it is in the site or app.
Each tile supports and receives support from the adjacent tiles in a pattern intrinsic to what kind of tile it is (dirt only really supports vertically, grass doesn't support anything and only gets support from the tile it's on top of, some of the deeper layers give more support sideways than up) and tiles get damaged when they aren't receiving enough support. I'll go into more detail in a bit, I've got to dash so I'll answer the other stuff.
Cheat/Non-serious mode will likely have those kind of things, with checkboxes. It'll prevent you from submitting a high score under that mode, but should make for some laughs.
Sure, I'll put a version number in next update.

caekdaemon wrote:
Maybe a realistic mode, where you have to get food and -
shh you're spoiling stuff don't make me blab about plans that's not fair.
"Realistic" mode will be normal mode eventually. I'm not making a casual game in the purest sense here. I'm not going to make it easy just cause more people will play it that way. You'll be able to starve, and you'll be able to get poisoned, and you'll be able to be ripped apart and fall too far and pass out and all sorts of fun things will happen. I'm just not telling you about them in detail now.

@Lizard: DAMNIT someone found it. I'll get onto fixing it, I know how just haven't had time

Sorry if I missed someone

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:26 pm
Profile WWW

Some tile phasing things

Going the direction of the arrowhead, I'm able to stand up and then jump repeatedly to climb through that solid tile (behind the dude). After I accomplish this, and am partly inside the tile I can phase either straight to the surface or all the way to the right until I hit empty space again.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Yep, that's caused by the same thing as lizard's bug. I'll see if I can fix it in 10 minutes or so tonight between all my coursework <_<

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:53 pm
Profile WWW

Kallemort wrote:
The control system is rather odd, considering you need two hands for the keyboard, and one more hand for the mouse? Wouldn't the movement work better on WASD?

This.
And I'm a little confused as to how aiming will be handled without mouse control?

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:03 pm

Like CC classic keyboard?

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 pm

I think that you won't need to aim diagonally unless you're stationary, so perhaps a toggle status button changing the jump/crouch buttons into up/down aiming and left/right into weapon switching or something? (think stance)

I'd be okay if all you could do was aim horizontally while moving, with an instant status change to shoot at zombies higher/lower than you.

I'd also like to see the controls be up/down for jump/crouch, and left/right for movement, with z,x,space and such for inventory, shooting, and construction etc...

Just feels more natural that way.

Dude's sprite should be a wee bit smaller, like fitting into two tiles, so that collisions won't be as akward. Right now you can't crawl through 1-tile openings all the time, and like stated before, you can glitch through others.

tunnel is straight followed by a one-tile opening on the ground
same tunnel, a few squares left. this is as far as he goes, but he won't drop down. maybe making our hero less fatty?

Last edited by alphagamer774 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:50 pm
Profile WWW

I found another. You can't crouch when standing a 1 block wide hole, the same goes for standing up. And he doesn't fall down when above a 1 block wide hole.

I also agree with alpha. The dude should be 2 blocks high, but also 1 block wide.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:00 am

And I vote for my modified control scheme. Up/jump, down/crouch, left/move, right/move, z/inventory, x/inventory, space/shoot, c/construct, v/construction menu

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:04 am
Profile WWW

Yeah no up/down is for aiming, space is jump like always, x is crouch/crawl, z will be use item, a and s will be for switching active inventory slots. construction will be done by using built tiles.

The standing in a hole -> cant crouch isn't a bug, it's because you take up more space when lying down. unless you go into a hole that size head first, there's no way you'll be able to crawl around a corner without being a contortionist. I'll do some sort of context sensitive jump down for 1-tile-wide ledges. I'll try and fix them tonight, actually.

Sprite should be shorter, but it's a PITA getting the clarity needed at that sort of size <_< I'll fix that before making skins though, probably.

Also: yay, toes is back!

Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:54 am
Profile WWW

Solid plan, eager to see the results.
Geti wrote:

:D

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:37 am

Geti wrote:
Yeah no up/down is for aiming, space is jump like always, x is crouch/crawl, z will be use item, a and s will be for switching active inventory slots. construction will be done by using built tiles.

The standing in a hole -> cant crouch isn't a bug, it's because you take up more space when lying down. unless you go into a hole that size head first, there's no way you'll be able to crawl around a corner without being a contortionist. I'll do some sort of context sensitive jump down for 1-tile-wide ledges. I'll try and fix them tonight, actually.

Sprite should be shorter, but it's a PITA getting the clarity needed at that sort of size <_< I'll fix that before making skins though, probably.

Then perhaps a change in "crouch" sprite would be a better candidate. Unless these are just placeholders...

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:11 am
Profile WWW

Wow, got nothing done on this today ;-;
Might touch the code a little before bed, do some of those bugfixes, but I've been doing coursework for FOUR ♥♥♥♥ HOURS and only got home at five, 2 hours for dinner and misc timewasting ffs I hate mondays.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:07 pm
Profile WWW

No more of this

Also, running up the closest thing you're going to get to slopes is now easy peasy.
I'll add a few more context sensitive things and put some sort of "weight" effect of actors on the tiles. I got started on that but it was buggy ;-;

Not doing any more tonight, sadly. Need mah beauty sleep or some related possibly misogynistic joke that I'm not committed to.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Would be nice of you automatically got up from crouch when walking up an one tile hill.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 43  Next