View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 43  Next
 1 Bar Design - Updates and Discussion - NEW SITE + PW 

Post Re: Prelude: A Side Scrollin' Zombie Fort Game
Again, very sweet.

But I must ask, how is the gameplay going to work? Are the zeds going to be climbing vertical walls and tearing your fort apart with pickaxe claws?

Are they going to jump over my 8 tile high 5 tile wide superwall or just dig under it? Trough it?
Can I set said wall ON FIRE?

I would like to follow up that question with something witty, but I'm too sleepy.

Anyways,

Perhaps make the zeds apply
a bit of Cortex Command technique (eventually)
(too lazy to strip unneeded layers)

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:55 pm

Found glitch: On the main menu, the link to your website doesn't have a limiter; it opens up about 50 windows per second when you click it.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:34 am

Did you rewrite the collisions for flixel? The physics engine is so goddamn weak that it's driving me nuts.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:46 am

Lizard wrote:
Would be nice of you automatically got up from crouch when walking up an one tile hill.
you do, just not when blocked O_o

findude wrote:
Again, very sweet.
But I must ask, how is the gameplay going to work? Are the zeds going to be climbing vertical walls and tearing your fort apart with pickaxe claws?
Perhaps make the zeds apply
a bit of Cortex Command technique (eventually)
Yeah, they'll likely bash at anything around them, and try to jump up short walls, but they'll more likely try to bash through your walls than pile up zombies around them, though you'll be able to stand on bodies and such, so you might end up with a clamberable bodypile anyway :P Bodies will rot away over time.

Joe wrote:
Found glitch: On the main menu, the link to your website doesn't have a limiter; it opens up about 50 windows per second when you click it.
cheers, though hilariously it wasn't meant to be turned on yet O_o Will fix.
FoiL wrote:
Did you rewrite the collisions for flixel? The physics engine is so goddamn weak that it's driving me nuts.
Nope, just keep the hitboxes small and hack any issues you're getting out :P

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:26 am
Profile WWW

Perhaps put the date of latest update visible, so we won't end up giving you different feedback on the same thing seven times.

I noticed subterrean tiles collapsing after removing something from above them. Does it account for gravity yet?
Oh, and the BG constantly has me thinking it wont support anything, perhaps make it a bit lighter, closer to the FG.

Will the player have ability to damage the background tiles?
Could we get it anyways for now?

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:20 pm

As I'm getting mixed feedback about the background I'm likely to leave it the way it is for now and see what needs fixing graphically once gameplay is down. I've had other people tell me to darken it, so pleh.

As for the player being able to damage it, the damage system which I'm implementing at the moment will be able to damage BG tiles, FG tiles, and Actors. I don't think I want it to harm objects etc for the time being, though there will be a point in time where you want to be able to gib corpses and the like to prevent them from clogging up your spike pits (though with contaminants/spores you won't want to do that anywhere near your food supply). I'm currently making the mouse cursor summon a damage instance rather than just deleting tiles, so you'll be able to cut through the background.
Gravity is coming quite a bit later, though things breaking from a lack of support above makes sense, no? Sheets of roofing peeling away and the like. Anyway, I'll work more on the verbosity of the support algos later, working on the damage system etc now. I'll get player death and restarting in-game soon too.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:31 pm
Profile WWW

Looking forward to DF style traps. What's that line of zombies? You don't like being crushed? Well I guess I'll just not break through this load-bearing pillar then~oh wait to late.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

It looks like this is getting some progress pretty fast. I'll be eagerly waiting for the zombies! :D

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:24 am

Working on getting basic hacked melee/mining/cutting in so you can ♥♥♥♥ about in the world and then I'll put some lazy zombies in so you can actually do something other than destroy the terrain.
Still need to paint backgrounds, might tonight, or might not. There'll definitely be some form of update this weekend, hopefully with caveins harming you and the ability to dig about.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:31 am
Profile WWW

MASSIVE UPDATE
You may have to refresh the page to get new stuff if you cache stuff as much as I do.
No images, just a damage system, camera system, larger level, placeholder mining/melee system and the ability to die (warning: caveins and big falls will ♥♥♥♥ you up now).

Version added to the bottom of the page for findude etc, I'll increase the minor version number each time I announce a release most likely, unless it's just a fix.

Other changes that spring to mind:
-You can now just scramble up a 3-high cliff.
-Gibs fade out.
-a stream of gibs from a tile indicates it's about to collapse.

Still need to fix some crawling behaviour.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:37 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

wow

game runs a bit terrible on my EEE 1000

still "playable" but I'd estimate between 10 and 20 fps

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:26 am

Haha, love the gib idea on the player. Just a heads up if you ever decide to make a tunnel make sure its a stable one and not ready to fall.... On you.......

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:41 am

Grif wrote:
wow, game runs a bit terrible on my EEE 1000, still "playable" but I'd estimate between 10 and 20 fps
It's capped at 30fps anyway, I'm playing on a dell latitude D610 w/ 1.8GHz Pentium M in it so i'm getting ~16fps. Hit ~ and get a solid readout if you would? Anyone else getting lag issues? Post fps from the console and computer stats if you would.
I'm optimising as I go (I was getting 9fps until I did something tricky with the way the level is handled, but there's still a large bottleneck with of the sheer number of calculations I'm doing, which can't really be cut down except by limiting the map size).

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:47 am
Profile WWW

lol recently inhered crap computer.
XP
Intel Celeron Processor 701 MHz
384 MB of RAM
Plays at 15-5 fps.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:53 am

5fps is a bit rough, is that when ♥♥♥♥'s caving in?

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 43  Next