View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Foil's Toys 

Post Foil's Toys
Well, the forum is indeed on a indie game spree and that got me itching to code something up. As geti should be aware from how much I bugged him with questions I like the idea of artificial life, I also think said life should have needs, strengths and weaknesses, so I strive to make something along those lines with however I can. But I digress. I'll try to dump several ideas I made here, starting with one I've been baking for a couple of days.

There are two classes, green and red, with some specific quirks and thigamabobs.

Green is pacific and pretty much retarded for now, so all they do is wonder around and multiply every ten seconds. Every generation as their specific movement speed, which is Dependant on their predecessors, and they also get a randomized boost to simulate a bit of evolution.

Red is a basic predator that looses 1 health every second, so they must hunt to survive and multiply. A red only attacks if his health is bellow 100 (which is always, but I digress), and they have a limited range of vision, so they can only "see" in a 40 pixel radius. AI is very, very crude at this point, so they only vault themselves at their target in a direct fashion. Every kill grants them 5 health and every 5 kills they reproduce. They also have the same evolving speed quirk as the Green counterparts.

As expected a stable population cannot be achieved (at least I wasn't able to), so every time all the green are annihilated a new green character is spawned in hope of begging a new cycle.

There's still a few things I want to do, like path-finding, having the green "run away" from the red, adding a little health bar over them, fixing the way red detect the green, and so on.

Performance with a few predators is ♥♥♥♥ right now, mostly due to my inabilities. The way they find targets his highly inefficient, since they cycle trough ALL the green, select whichever are within 40 pixels and then select the closest one.

link to come as soon as I figure out my ftp's password.

http://pwp.net.ipl.pt/alunos.isel/32705/

here we go

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:29 am
DRLGrump

Post Re: Foil's Toys
I'm about 3 minutes in and the red seems to running away from the greens.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:48 am

Movement without targets is completely random, so sometimes they do starve like bloody idiots. Though I'm considering expanding their scanning range.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:53 am
DRLGrump

Oh, I didn't know the game paused if you weren't on that tab either.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:12 am

FoiL wrote:
Movement without targets is completely random, so sometimes they do starve like bloody idiots. Though I'm considering expanding their scanning range.

What about their speed? They move EXTREMELY slow.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:12 am

Also randomized between 0 and their top speed, though it can be easily changed. Shall I add it to the todo list?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:23 am

Stable populations should be rather easily achievable with large numbers, fast starving and overpopulation harm.

Looks cool, but yeah, so slow.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:05 pm

The only red died, and it froze...
Nice toy though.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]