View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 46  Next
 WH40k discussion 

Post Re: Thinkin' about buying some Warhammer 40k models
Wow, that's actually pretty amazing. The sword, specially, was just about perfect.

Oh, also, I was thinking of getting myself the AoBR set. Do you guys think it is, model quality-wise, comparable to the standard Marine battleforce?

Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:01 pm
Profile WWW

The terminator I posted was from that set.

Here's my previously posted thoughts on the set. I have to say that they are pretty much maintained.

FoiL wrote:
Come on people, don't leave me posting all by myself.

So, I just got the assault on black reach thing. Here's some notes:

-blokes with guns.
Well, they look pretty decent. Nothing too fancy when we compare them with multi-part marines, but they're still better than those mini-sets, which come absolutely packed with plastic in every single cavity. The mold lines along the shoulder pads will be a bit hard to take care, but the rest of the miniature looks rather good in this department.

-termies.
They actually look pretty excellent to me. No major mold lines, no imperfections that I can see and the details are everywhere. Detachable legs would be a fine addition to make some proper poses though.

-Dreadnought
This might just be me, but it looks pretty small when compared to a regular marine. I'd kill to get a proper heavy bolter, but not too shabby anyway.

-Captain
Good God, the amount of details and lack of mold lines are amazing. A+ material right here.

-Green skins.
I haven't really inspected them, since they aren't really mine, but from what I've seen they look just as good as the regular multi-part orks. I may be saying something sacrilegious, but my eyes really haven't picked anything up.

-Conclusion
Considering that I paid 68 euros for this pack (more like 34, since my brother-in-law, paid half) I got a lot more than my money's worth. I'd advise you to buy one, if not only for some odd troops and all the bits and pieces.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:37 pm

Interesting, I just found a game that plays out quite like this (building+painting units and battlefields) called Flames of War. http://www.flamesofwar.com/ Just spreading the word.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:56 am

Well yeah, 40k is not the only tabletop wargame ever.

Also Foil, since you are comparing the marines to the "multi-part" ones, does it mean that the 'rines in the pack are single-piece models?

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:18 pm
Profile WWW

They're mostly composed of three pieces. Namely the body, the backpack and the hands/weapon.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Double post for advice.

I'm thinking of buying a Land Raider, but there are two variants, namely the regular Land Raider and the Crusader/Redeemer. Should I go for the regular version or the pimped up one?

Mon May 02, 2011 12:19 am

I say go crusader. Since they cost the same as the normal version in both points and cash, you'll be getting a few extra bitz free of charge. Plus, it has a bigger transport capacity, and neat addons such as assault launchers and the like.

Mon May 02, 2011 1:35 am
Profile WWW

What Areku said, I personally love those firestorm cannons.

Mon May 02, 2011 11:35 am

Ohey guise, it seems the smugglenurse I'd hired has finally arrived.

Also, my camera is terrible.

The bad part is, I wasn't able to acquire the official paints yet. Hobby stores, here I come!

Tue May 03, 2011 2:10 am
Profile WWW

You don't really have to go for the games workshop brand. Valejo is said to work rather well.

Have you decided on a chapter?

Tue May 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Well yeah, it seems that Citadel paints are definitely out of the question, unless I'm willing to go downtown to the big hobby shops and buy them at 20 bucks a pot. No one has even heard of Valejo down here, either. :roll:

On the upside, I managed to find B&W Revell ones for basecoating. Except I'd already spent about five hours coating the first model yellow when that happened.

Oh, and I was originally going for Imperial Fists (gotta love yellow/red <3<3<3), but due to the limited palette I have, I'll probably make a custom yellow/black chapter.

By the way, painting is amazingly hard and time consuming. But gents, I can tell you it's also a ton of fun. :P

Wed May 04, 2011 12:36 am
Profile WWW

For yellow you'd be better suited with a white undercoat. That way you don't need nearly as many coats of paint, in order to cover the primer.

Also, paint an angry marine for extra points.

Wed May 04, 2011 12:57 am

FoiL wrote:
That way you don't need nearly as many coats of paint, in order to cover the primer.

FoiL wrote:
to cover the primer.

FoiL wrote:
primer

FFFFFFFF-

I knew I'd forgotten something.

<.<
>.>

White paint'll hafta do, I guess?
Also, angry marine on the way.

Wed May 04, 2011 1:14 am
Profile WWW

Awrite gents, this is a fudge doublepost but fudge if I fudge care.
The Big Man has some important anouncements to do.

DO NOT, under any circumstances, use acrilex hobby paints for anything. Why? Lemme tell ya.

I'd been struggling for half an hour to get my yellow base color right, and I only got a terribly terribly spotted result with it. I was sweating by the end, but I was kind of satisfied, y'know, for a first try, I thought it wasn't so bad.

Then, I thought I should go and paint the gun, for a change of pace. I opened up the Revell granite black tube, carefully dipped my brush on it, and sort of accidentally touched the gun with it. In the blink of an eye, the drop of ink had automatically transmogrificated in a glossy, uniform and aesthetically pleasing cover. I cried tears of joy.

Then I cried tears of raeg, because the yellow acrilex stuff had cost me pretty much the same price and had, comparing the rest of the model to the gun, pretty much destroyed the looks of my first marine.

tl;dr: Love Revell, hate Acrilex. Painting is not as hard as I had thought.

Spread the fudge word, boys and gals.

EDIT: Also, anyone know of a good way of stripping bad paint off a model?

Wed May 04, 2011 2:03 am
Profile WWW

Regular paint can do, but primer is advised, since it'll make the paint stick properly to the model.

Too much?

Wed May 04, 2011 2:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 46  Next