View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 46  Next
 WH40k discussion 

Post Re: Thinkin' about buying some Warhammer 40k models
I agree on the wash, they can have varying results though. If you apply too much it will give a very grim look(looks great on orks) and it you only apply it around edges you get a quick shade.

On the greenstuff/milliput part: Use water, or vaseline if you don't mind people thinking you're a rapist, to keep it from sticking to you tools and hands. Vaseline works better and stays on longer, while water is easier to get and use.

And Areku, it looks way better than the other one. What paint are you using?

Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm

Why, thank you.

I'm currently using some Revell paints, namely 12 yellow, 301 white, 69 granite gray (which is actually green), 330 fire red and 99 aluminium.
They were just about the best and most varied I could find without going over budget or scouring the country in search of someone with imported Citadel ones.

EDIT:

You have no idea how long it took me to find proper synthetic grass. (also pebbles)

Wed May 11, 2011 1:39 am
Profile WWW

Looks a lot better. With a bit more practice you should be up to tabletop standard in no time.

Thu May 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Aww, don't make me blush. :roll:

Anyways, finished up the flamer!marine:

And if you're asking whether I'm going to post every single marine I make here, then yes. That's how I roll.

Sat May 14, 2011 10:14 pm
Profile WWW

That's fine by me. Are you going for a full on army or just this one squad?

On a completely unrelated note. Is bits and kits really trustworthy? I paid for some bits last Thursday and still haven't received any notice about the package being posted. I also emailed them with any answer.

-edit-

random piece of advice time.

Don't leave models in petroleum for a day, hoping that will make stripping easier. The petroleum will turn your plastic into rubber.

Tue May 17, 2011 7:39 pm

So far, I've only bought a tactical squad, but I'm planning on getting the whole battleforce when I'm done with this set.

Also, petroleum? Geez, simply leaving them in soapy water overnight is more than enough, from my experience. Was it a particularly thick coat of paint?

Tue May 17, 2011 10:55 pm
Profile WWW

5 watered down coats of blood red if I remember correctly. Next time I'll probably try some break fluid.

Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Yeah, I guess that'd be reasonable. I've been hearing some good stuff about Simple Green, maybe it'd work?

Also, I've found that using a hard toothbrush to scrape it off helps quite a lot.

Wed May 18, 2011 12:22 am
Profile WWW

Bits and kits is completely trustworthy, bought from them once or twice and I even got a written apology because they accidentally broke a tiny part.
Delivery took them seven days, granted I do live in Holland so it should have been short.

Wed May 18, 2011 6:37 am

Last time the time between payment and delivery was about 3 days, so I was getting a bit suspicious this time around. Just got the confirmation that the order was indeed posted, but no response to my email, which is still a bit odd.

On a completely unrelated note [yet again], Games workshop is getting replacing metal models with resin counterparts and are going to increase the prices on said models, plus a few unrelated ones.

I'm pretty sure that pretty much everyone except for the the real hardcore modelists won't really care with the resin models, but the price increase on the other hand is bound to piss a lot of people off. Especially when you consider that you're buying about 50 cents worth of material, yet you pay about 30 bucks per kit.

Thu May 19, 2011 12:27 am

FoiL wrote:
I'm pretty sure that pretty much everyone except for the the real hardcore modelists won't really care with the resin models, but the price increase on the other hand is bound to piss a lot of people off. Especially when you consider that you're buying about 50 cents worth of material, yet you pay about 30 bucks per kit.

The hardcore wouldn't mind, resin is easier to work with than metal and it looks better. It is however coated in a release agent, so just like the metals you have to wash them before use.
Btw, resin is quite expensive.

Thu May 19, 2011 6:29 am

I'm okay with the price increase on resin converted models (I wasn't going to buy the metal versions anyway, too hard to kitbash properly), but what other "unrelated ones" are you talking about?

EDIT: whirr whirr conversions.

It was also absolutely hellish to make. But believe me, I believe that it's believable that it was worth it. No, really.

Mon May 23, 2011 1:50 am
Profile WWW

I know your pain brother, done it myself a couple of times before.

Mon May 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Heavy bolter crew. They will ♥♥♥♥ you up.

Ignore the shabby green stuffed tip, that's a future fix.

Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Lookin' really good so far. From the red spots on his legs, I assume that's the one you were trying to strip earlier on?

Also, a shame that the barrel's broken. I wish you best of luck on fixing it up. But what were you drilling it with, to cause such a big crack to appear?

On an unrelated note, nice dictionary.

Mon May 23, 2011 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 46  Next