View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Dead Island 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Dead Island
Ociamarru wrote:
Also, although I'm pretty sure this is just weeks after it all started, what would be the first thing people tried against the zombies? By now, most of the ammo would be used up. What I want to know is why there doesn't seem to be any sort of a military response to the outbreak.

Perhaps the army did try, but ended up meeting a pretty bad fate.

Or perhaps there was no active military bases on the island, and no one has got a SOS out yet for whatever reason.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:33 pm
Profile WWW

And the game is out! Techland ♥♥♥♥ up bad when they accidentally had an older build out on Steam, it's been fixed in the US and the rest of the world by Friday. Seems like a love it or hate it kinda deal - lots of bugs, but satisfying combat and deep RPG elements. I'm gonna get it, but I've been in love with this game from the start. For everyone else, I'd suggest waiting another day or two for some more reviews.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:59 pm

Ociamarru wrote:
...I've been in love with this game from the start.

Same here, but I am going to wait for the first patch(es) even so. I don't want to play it when it's full of bugs. :)

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:07 pm

Me and a couple of friends managed to play some last night when it just came out. About 10 minutes in we realized the noclip was still in here, we flew around for a bit and finished quests in literally 10 seconds, but after doing that about 3 times we just started to do things normally. It was very fun, nothing game breaking (Besides the noclip) was really encountered, ran smoothly, and worked great.

But then the update came... Game became noticeably worse, Certain events caused the game to slow down dramatically, there was a metropolis of bugs. The game also usually paused for 2-3 seconds every 4-5 seconds, all of which rendering the game pretty much unplayable, even the menu did it. Sometimes it even crashes the game.

Does look like we will have to wait a bit till a patch comes out. Shame too, Was hoping to get a little far before school started.

EDIT: Also cool little thing I noticed last night. At the beginning of the game, the family in the trailer is in the next room you start in. The Husband and the Wife just lay there with their hands together though, as well as the axe beside them. There's no girl and no broken window, oddly enough, same with the door which also isn't broken.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:25 pm

Perhaps they killed all the zombies, but the safety of the room they were in before was compromised, so they went to a different, fully-intact one to die together peacefully?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:51 pm

It was the same room.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Well if there's no shattered window with the remains of a small child outside, and the door is completely intact...

EDIT: Just saw a video of it, and there IS a hole in the middle of the door, and according to the guy from Kotaku that posted the video, the window isn't actually visible - it's hidden behind shades, so it very well may be broken. He DID apparently circle the resort looking for her corpse, but to no avail - although that's likely because THE STORY TONIGHT ON FOX: Video Game Promotes Child Brutality.

EDIT2: The video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTtv3DyXRow

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:00 am

And Dead Space 2 had zombie toddler things that exploded into shimmering giblets.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:13 am

Yeah, but weren't those technically necromorphs? This is a HUMAN LITTLE GIRL!

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:21 am

Yeah I suppose so. One could say the same with this; the girl's already 'turned', and is no longer human.
I dunno.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 am

But she clearly died in the trailer. Also if you look closely in the video, when it shows her, she looks normal at the beginning on the ground dead but progressively looks more 'infected' before she hits the ground and dies.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:46 am

Oh, hey, Coops, how is dismemberment in this game? I mean, I know you can cut stuff off, but is it any more than just losing limbs? And can they live while being dismembered? I only remember seeing a limbless, living (?) zombie once throughout several gameplay videos.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:58 am

Cut off a zombie's arm and he still lives and attempts to kill you, So far that's what Ive seen. Dismember the head and it dies instantly, that's not easy however. I haven't seen a leg get cut off on a living zombie yet but its basically shaped down to the basic stuff like cutting off an arm or foot, nothing too detailed like having the end of a finger getting chopped off. The layering is somewhat detailed though. Goes from flesh, to muscle, to bone, which is aesthetically fun to play around with.

There are two weapon types. Blunt, which can cause crippling and smashes things pretty well. Hit a zombie in the arm good enough and his arm will actually distort and look broken.

Blade, on the other hand will cut through things nicely, swinging through 6-7 zombies with a machete is pretty effective but will drain your stamina very fast and your machete will most likely lose about 70% of its durability.

I haven't gotten to the firearms yet but I've heard its a little bit like and COD and Red Dead Redemption. So we will see how that plays out. The durability detail can be a ♥♥♥♥♥ sometimes since you could be going up against at least 8-9 zombies (Which isn't easy, by the way) and you have about 5-6 hits left. Once a weapon breaks though you can still use it but the damage is reduced significantly, rendering them useless and your fist's would be more powerful.

Both Melee types seem pretty balanced and fun to use and works nicely with the dismemberment features.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:29 am

Well that's good! When I'd heard that they got rid of the original layering system, I was worried it would be basic dismemberment - so it's somewhere in between? I can live with that.

How well does co-op play into the game? I've been hearing about lots of issues with it.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:48 am

Co-op works fine from my view. Really fun to spot a zombie and all gang up on them yelling "Kick'em while he's down!".

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next