View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lugaru: Overgrowth 

Post Lugaru: Overgrowth
If you haven't played the original Lugaru, then check it out. It was a notable and original game for a few reasons. One was implementing advanced physics and context simulation into the fighting system. I.E, instead of having a bunch of buttons to mash and get combos, you get three; crouch, jump, and attack, coupled with the movement keys. You could make a large variety of attacks based simply on context. For instance, a weak punch (Standstill-Attack) thrown at an enemy who doesn't know of your presence will deal extra damage and maybe knock him down to the ground. Thrown at an alert enemy, it will just push him back because he's in a fighter stance, or he might counter it. If an enemy launches a kick at your face, you can do a few things; handspring back to dodge, crouch to allow it to pass and then attack, or best yet, use a unique context-based reversal system to catch the leg, stop it with your hand, and then deliver a kick of your own to the off-balanced enemy- right in the groin, sending them flying with the message of "BOI, DON'TCHU DARE TRY TO TOUCH ME AGAIN, YA HEAR?". An enemy throwing a punch at you might find himself on the ground from a crouching sweep kick, or behind your back from a throw. If the opposite is true, you can quickly flip in mid-air to re-gain your balance, or roll harmlessly upon impact if you get thrown over the enemy's shoulder. Context, physics, and realism are the key 3 motivators of Lugaru. Thousands of people thought it well worth the money of 20$, and it was drastically simple compared to L2, named Overgrowth. Dozens of enemies. Dozens of new weapons. Shader based graphics. Large terrains coupled with detailed layered skies, complete with atmospheric effects like blur and haze. Dynamic physics engine Phoenix, allowing everything from a knife throw to a blood drop be affected by everything else in the dynamic power. A nicely crafted storyline, along with a separate co-op storyline and online multiplayer. Beautifully rendered high end terrain. A liquid physics engine allowing water to be used. Implementing unique aspects of the animals, like the wolf's keen scent, with the rest of the world- a bloodied rabbit upwind of a wolf will draw a large amount of attention. A sneaky rabbit lying in water downwind of the wolf will be able to pass as a shadow, leaving behind a body, and not his own. I'm barely touching on this shiny unique Indie work of awesome. Right now, you can pre-order it for 30$, though it would be wise to wait for the free demo. (Release: Q1 of '09) Fast-paced, realistic fights immerse you quickly in Lugaru, and Overgrowth can only promise to be Lugaru to the 10th power.

All of that, and there are more subtle awesome aspects. Like the whale man. You digg?

The Overgrowth Site
The Wolfire Blog, Showing Overgrowth Updates

Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:23 am

Post Re: Lugaru: Overgrowth
i played the first one and it was awsome. i cant wait for overgrowth! but why did they name it overgrowth? i checked the site and the concept art looks really cool. cant wait for it. im actually gonna play L1 right now :P

Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:00 pm
Profile WWW

I really wish it wasn't composed of furries, I really do.

Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:54 pm

Hariku wrote:

There wouldn't be any significant differences if humans had been used. I hate it when people base their judgment off a simple appearance. "OMG FURRIES LOL UR FAGZ DIS GAEM SUXX." If anything, using anthropomorphic characters just adds the advantage of being able to extend the game's scope- humans wouldn't be able to move as fast as the animals in the game, they wouldn't have as keen hearing, they wouldn't be able to smell blood on a weapon... I don't see why people have problems with furries, or why some people prefer them over humans. They're just another set of entities you play the game through, sheesh :P

Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:12 pm

I just wish they used something other than animals. I'm still going to try out the game, but again, I wish they used something like Robots, anything but animals.

Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:19 pm

I'd suggest mount&blade if you want a free* game with a great combat system but without furries.

*trial goes until level 7

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:11 pm

Yes, at which point it becomes 30$. (Now that I think about it, the two kind of are similar- both have dynamic worlds and context-based combat). Later on in the game it gets kind of repetitive and boring, though.

Back on topic... Hariku: They used them for the sake of the storyline and explanations of the simple technologies, while also being unique. See, when humans only had fire and stone structures, they weren't intelligent enough to set up these complicated empires and worry about territorial boundaries, but it's been happening in nature for thousands of years. And I think if robots existed, they wouldn't have stone structures :P

Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:07 am

alaifain wrote:
I'd suggest mount&blade if you want a free* game with a great combat system but without furries.

*trial goes until level 7

this is very off topic. one of my favorite games imo btw.
Quote:
I just wish they used something other than animals. I'm still going to try out the game, but again, I wish they used something like Robots, anything but animals.

what do you want them to use, telephones? (that would actually be awesome btw) come on, animals and humans are the only thing they can use.

Quote:

animals do not necessarily mean furries are involved.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:36 am
Profile WWW

I loved the knife throwing in the first one!

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:38 am

dapaperboy wrote:
alaifain wrote:

what do you want them to use, telephones? (that would actually be awesome btw) come on, animals and humans are the only thing they can use.

Or, you know, they could use like, robots...

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:56 am

I searched continuously and fruitlessly for some sort of mod which would turn the furries into people.
Furries ruin it.

Overgrowth is going to be awesome though.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:59 am

Hariku wrote:
dapaperboy wrote:
alaifain wrote:

Or, you know, they could use like, robots...

I did not say that...

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:10 am

zacness wrote:
I searched continuously and fruitlessly for some sort of mod which would turn the furries into people.
Furries ruin it.

Overgrowth is going to be awesome though.

Quit being a xenophobe. Furries and anthropomorphs are two different thing.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:43 am
Profile WWW

From what I have seen it looks pretty cool. And shut up about furries for the love of Allah!

Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:08 pm
Profile WWW

pyro has a point.
on-topic: lugaru was awesome, although i didnt play much :)

Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next