View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Atomontage Engine Discussion 

Post Atomontage Engine Discussion
http://deltagamer.com/12583/interview-atomontage-engine <-Interview link with some very interesting info.

Here's my thoughts of the Aromontage Engine:A gaming revolution in tech.

They have perfected the scanning(scanning a object in the real world and putting it in a virtual reality) method and I would love to get my hands on this tech soon.Imagine a 3D very realistic CC that looks like your watching a Coalition killing a Ronin in front of you.

What are your thoughts of this guys?I want to see how everyone's gonna react to this.
If you all knew already current video games(COD series,Bulletstorm,etc) use excessive amounts of polygons,so right now the most realistic game would be the one with the most polygons in it's models.

If they sell this(not a contract for the company or engine just a copy to use for their games)this to game company's they would reel in some major cash that would provide them the resources for updates and etc.

Now what do you all think?

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:59 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Atomontage Engine Discussion
As cool as the engine is, I don't think it'll be replacing polygons any time soon. As you said, more realistic games need more polygons in their models. This isn't any different for voxels, and at this point, the size of the voxels is visibly pretty high. That could just be an aesthetic choice, but there's really no way to know whether the engine can produce higher-definition graphics until there's a tech demo (or a video of it).
That said, it's still a neat engine and I'm interested in seeing where it goes. Don't expect it to overthrow polygons unless a lot of progress is made, though.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:41 am
Profile WWW

Didn't Worms 3&4 use a primitive version of this tech for the buildings and terrain elements?

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 am

I don't know about that Major(I think I don't :???: need to remember if I do)CC use's worms like terrain destruction,but CC is like the Atomontage Engine with pixels compared to atoms.

If they keep up their work on the Atomontage Engine it would have a bright future ahead in the gaming universe.

You correct that it won't be replacing the traditional gaming graphics anytime soon but when it does there will be awesomeness.

Basically Atomontage has the ability to Revolutionize gaming.Also if they keep the interest to work on it we could get our hands on the Atomontage Engine.

Btw if the mainstream gaming companies don't use it for a long time I bet the Indie gaming universe will get it sooner.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:32 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I'm pretty sure major is referring to the 3D worms games.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Okay thought he was talking about the classics.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:11 pm
happy carebear mom

I don't see why the two styles of engines can't coexist and mingle. No one style need be the "better" one, seeing as they're good for different things; depending on what you want done, one may be better than the other. Hell, shove both engines in the same game and get destructible terrain [FPS of choice], with everything able to be chipped away at and blown away with enough firepower and time.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:44 am

I think this kind of technology is a ways away from being used effectively or efficiently. For now, it's all showy talk. When a game- or even a proof of concept- is made using this technology, then they can talk. For now, they're like, "LOOK AT OUR REPEATED STRUCTURES WITH SO MUCH DETAIL MAN SO MUCH."

Destructibility and the like can be executed well enough with pure polygon-based engines. Red Faction did it great with Geomod, for instance. DICE's newly developed Frostbite 2.0 engine, used for Battlefield 3, is probably the most impressive engine I've ever seen in terms of the fact that it not only makes much of the world dynamic- you're not going to be tunneling into the ground with explosives, but seeing as it's a shooter and not a sandbox, I think most people can look past that and at the fact that they can demolish multi-story reinforced buildings- but also because it's easily the best-looking game I've ever seen. The visual quality of real-time gameplay is comparable to cutscenes from other games.

That said, "atoms" or "voxels"- I'm vaguely familiar with the tech, but certainly not an expert- could be promising in the future, if done correctly. Time will tell, I guess.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:51 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Ragdollmaster, you're thinking of Euclideon. Atomontage actually has videos without repeating structures, and it's fully destructible, but it's much lower-resolution than Euclideon. For example, he has a video of a truck driving around in some sand and displacing it realistically. It's definitely much further along than Euclideon.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:02 am
Profile WWW

Battlefield 3's gonna be a must get game,but wouldn't you want to test out the Atomontage Engine by driving a car or destroying a building or whatever you want to?

I think it'd be sweet to build a game using the AE.

Btw Last Banana your Avatar is kind of f'd up in a Japanese kind of way :) .

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:55 am

TheLastBanana wrote:
Ragdollmaster, you're thinking of Euclideon. Atomontage actually has videos without repeating structures, and it's fully destructible, but it's much lower-resolution than Euclideon. For example, he has a video of a truck driving around in some sand and displacing it realistically. It's definitely much further along than Euclideon.

Oh, derp. Maybe I should have actually checked out the link in the OP >_>

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Perhaps you’ve seen the videos about some groundbreaking “unlimited detail” rendering technology? If not, check it out here, then get back to this post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:30 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

That's what Ragdollmaster was talking about just a few posts up. It isn't nearly as groundbreaking as they're making it out to be.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]