View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Playstation three, lol. 

Post Re: Playstation three, lol.
Ragdollmaster wrote:
Well, duh. That's kind of to be expected.

Heh, I always find it funny when a person who prefers console X says that about the Wii U. I mean, what did you get excited for when Xbox 360 or PS3 appeared? Apparently not the better graphics and processing power.
Really though, from a developer standpoint, Wii U is pretty exciting as it provides such a wide range of different kinds of input. There's potential for creative, innovative, good games, and that's all that matters for a console. As for the "clunky controller" argument, all reports from E3 stated that it was lightweight and surprisingly comfortable.

I'm not saying that it's going to be a success for sure, the games will decide that, and those are something we can't see until they release the machine. I'm just saying that it should be given a chance like any other console.

As for the topic itself, PS3, I must say it has its greats which I really wish weren't PS3 exclusive as PS3 is severely hampered by Sony's mishaps and policies. (Linux removal, geohot suing, lack of user info encryption, downtimes)
Oh, not to forget their new change in the ToS, the one that removes your right to a class action lawsuit. If you guys agreed to that, I'd fill out my info on http://www.gamersoptout.com/ to retain such a vital right.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:15 am

Well yeah, but he suggested that the primary focus of the PLAYStation 3 was to watch movies/other media, and they threw in the whole gaming bit on the side to appease gamers, which is just not true. The primary function of the PS3 is very obviously a console gaming experience.

EDIT:...There were already MULTIPLE investigations showing that they encrypted user info, and I don't see how the removal of Linux was all that horrible. I don't personally know ANYBODY who bought the PS3 to use that function, and I only know one person who actually used it.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:17 am

As you just said, you knew a person who used it. That means they removed a feature that they had advertised with while they marketed the product. It's like buying a television that has minigames. You know you probably won't need them and you don't buy the television for them, but it's still a feature you pay for, and the maker of the television has no right to remove it from you after you have purchased it.
As for the encryption issue, Sony themselves have stated that passwords were unencrypted.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 am

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/255852,so ... ypted.aspx
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security-ma ... -40092628/

To be fair, you never specified 'credit card info', but I felt it was implied.

One person out of maybe forty or fifty people I personally know who own PS3s? I can't help but not give a ♥♥♥♥ that they removed it.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:24 am

"It doesn't affect me so it's not an issue." Yeah, people like you are the reason democracy doesn't work.

As for the encryption issue,
http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/05/02/psn.passwords.were.crypto.hashed.not.encrypted/

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:29 am

Okay, so credit card info was encrypted, and passwords WEREN'T stored in plaintext. So far, that's still a lot better than most people gave them credit for.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:33 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Argue time, yay!

@Ocia
I did not imply that they made the console for movies/media, I implied that movies and media are larger points of the product.
I do acknowledge that it was NOT the intended use of the PS3, the main point originally being gaming; but in my honest opinion the other uses of the PS3 overrule the games.

@Rag
There are quite a few of exclusives, as you said, but as both I and Chao said, the PS3 has a slimmer variety of games, not none at all. You have no right to accuse me of 'not reading the thread' after you blatantly didn't even read my post that you felt inclined to correct me about in the first place.
If you want to debate with someone take into mind what they actually said.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:34 am
Profile WWW

Well...I guess everyone is entitled to their beliefs, no matter how wrong they are. The primary use of the PS3 is undeniably gaming.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:37 am

Quote:
Smaller Spectrum != No Games
I find it mildly ironic that you accusing him of not reading the thread when you can't even read a single sentence in one post

His statement that the console doesn't focus on games and instead focuses on movies and other forms of media kind of goes down the route of the "no games" argument. When somebody tries to pull that card, of course they're not *literally* saying "ahurdur there are absolutely no games available on the console" or "derz like 100x more games on other consoles", they're basically saying that the console has a much smaller library of *noteworthy* games. Out of the many hundreds of games available on a given console, most gamers who play it are aware of maybe 50- that is to say, what they see as the "good" games. The first part of that reply bordered on sarcasm more than anything, though I'll admit it's probably not very clear. Secondly, "smaller spectrum" implies not just a smaller size overall, but less of a variety in genres as compared to other platforms, hence the second part showcasing the many brilliant exclusives available on the platform. Hope this clears it up.

Oh, and as a general hint: Very rarely can you take words at face value. If something seems overblown, it's likely intentional, unless the poster is retarded. Last I checked, I don't think most people would consider me to fall into that category.

Quote:
Heh, I always find it funny when a person who prefers console X says that about the Wii U. I mean, what did you get excited for when Xbox 360 or PS3 appeared? Apparently not the better graphics and processing power.

The games, of course; we saw a lot of amazing new games and the return of some old games that were better than ever on PS3/360. Sure, I'm very happy that they all look really pretty and run fantastic, but I really doubt that most PS3 or 360 games couldn't have been done on PS2 and Xbox. Some mechanics- like motion controls, ala Move or Kinect- obviously would have to have been toned down or scrapped, and the graphics would be highly reduced, but for the most part, I think the gameplay could be emulated very accurately. That's not to say that graphics don't play a big role in games- in fact, they influence gameplay a lot- but the jump in graphics from the Wii to Wii U will be hardly noticeable, I think, in most instances. Nintendo being Nintendo, I doubt it will have a more impressive line-up than the Wii did, either. That's why I'm not at all excited about it. I also seriously doubt the new potentials arising from the introduction of the new controllers will ever be fully used; much like the original appeal of motion controls, they'll likely end up just being gimmicks used to provide innovative fun for a week or two.

As for Sony's mishaps etc, I haven't ever really cared about any of them, mainly because close to none of them affected me and most people who complain about them make mountains out of molehills and do so out of ignorance and conjecture. That's not to say Sony's perfect- just that as a customer of theirs, I've never been negatively affected by them in any significant manner, and I think the great majority of the fanbase can say the same.

EDIT: Holy fudge I start typing, hit preview, and there's 7 new posts. Fudge. Oh well.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:38 am

Jeez why are you guys so arguing, just accept that Playstations will be superior platforms for everything forever. All of Nintendo's products from now until the end of time will be for babies, and all of xboxes will be for whiny children screaming into their mics.

Playstation has better games, has better graphics and sound, has better visuals, has better style, has a better controller, and is better at everything than anything else.

/thread

edit: and pcs are for nerds with no friends they use it only to play farmville and do spreadsheets and boring gay ♥♥♥♥

Last edited by Contrary on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:03 am

Biased statement is biased.

Quite obviously the PC is the single best gaming platform of all time.

Not only are motion controls made much simpler and function better,
the pc has so many different functions that its basically the only piece of technology you'll ever need to use/need.

On the console business however, while i do agree that Ps3 vs XBox, both has positives and Downsides - the stereotype that all whiny little brats get Xboxs are far from true. While it does happen, Ps3 doesn't have very much less of dem kids.

Also nintendo isn't just for 'babies' I'd like to say that the Wii U is quite a interesting idea. While nintendo does generally have more ' Everyone ' games, it has it's fair share of good games and mechanics. I mean nintendo was the first to make motion controlled gaming on a console. Also, if you think Smash Bros for example is just for Kids i think you'd be sorely mistaken.

I'd like to staple all 4 Gaming platforms into their main Pros - without listing cons to eliminate more argument over better console [ this has gone on far enough ] since i have no intention of being biased on any console since i do not own them all and cannot accurately say which is better. I'm pretty sure its based on the player.

PS3 - Ultimately better [possible] graphics and more functionality over XBox.
Xbox - Higher framerate and increased social features.
Wii - Motion controlled, more multiplayer games.
PC - One time stop, has it all.

When i say PC has it all i basically mean that it can do everything youd ever need a gaming console to do ever. Im not saying its any better because as you know you have to keep up with the specs of the game to even run the newer computer games. But if you think about it you can really do some cool things with the pc.

I think i have explained and compounded every detail to it's fullest and at thus i hope we can end the thread without anymore of this stupid console superiority crap. All consoles have it's strengths and weaknesses. Stop focusing on the weaknesses and you'll see that it really doesnt matter which is better since it was your preference which chose them apart in the first place. So goddammit people can we put this rest please i mean, every time someone mentions both consoles in a thread/ topic/ conversation it ALWAYS degrades into this ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ war between the two.

If you didn't read any of the above then [tl:dr] Stop this console war plox.

P.S: Contrary stop being a ps3 fanboy. Same for anybody else for Xbox and ps3 alike.

Also I'm sure the Wii U will be a better gaming console when its released simply because its newer and incorporates newer technology.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:02 am

Quote:
edit: and pcs are for nerds with no friends they use it only to play farmville and do spreadsheets and boring gay ♥♥♥♥

I lol'd. Also, pretty sure Contrary is being more than a little sarcastic here, dragon.

Those are really vague and for the most part unimportant summaries. The difference in power between the PS3 and 360 is really negligible; cross-platforms play more or less the same on either console with small variances. The exclusive titles are an important selling point of each console, as well as some other factors (ie PS3 has blu-ray, 360 being cheaper on release, PS3 has free multiplayer, etc etc) that don't necessarily relate to the power of each console. The Wii did pioneer mainstream motion controls, but ultimately I don't think that motion controls alone are a big enough factor to justify getting a Wii over another console; I've never owned one, but playing it at friends' houses and the like, I seemed to always get bored after an hour or two.

The PC definitely has the largest selection of titles available on any platform, and it can also do pretty much everything else besides gaming as well, but an expensive upkeep and limitation from certain exclusives kind of hamper it as a singular platform.

Ultimately, I think it'd be dumb for anyone to intentionally limit themselves to one platform or another if they could afford to own multiple consoles, and "superiority" comes down to personal preference as it's hard to objectively name one platform as being the best. This is why I own a PS3 and PC, and those two platforms cover a huge majority of the games worth owning in today's market. I wouldn't be able to play indie games, MMOs, or TF2 on PS3 alone, but if I had just a great gaming PC, I wouldn't be able to play any of [see one of the two instances of PS3 exclusive copy-pasta] the awesome exclusive games that led to me buying a PS3 in the first place.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:52 am

Well, I've had my PS3 now for about a week, and I cant stop playing it.
The controller, graphics, multiplayer network, and of course the console itself is, at least to me, the best I've ever used, and better than the Xbox that I use sparingly.

Hell, when I first got it, I was so excited that I got to Level 31 on Black Ops in one day.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:14 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Probably an entire 24 hour period as apposed to the amount of time you were awake.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:27 am
Profile WWW

Ignore This Post

Personally, i Hate Playstations. The First One was Great Ahead of its time and then the Second one just killed it for Me. Glad i Own An Xbox.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next