View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Thread for Any and All Roguelikes 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Thread for Any and All Roguelikes

I love the Binding of Isaac, even if it isn't completely random. It's basically a casual hardcore shooter with lots of roguelike elements. The dark humor, visuals and way the story is told is also ♥♥♥♥ cool. I love it so very much.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

IVaN is a really nice roguelike.

It has a few features that make it really stand out.
First off, there's a limb system (as you can see in the upper-right corner of the screen). If you take too much damage to your leg, for instance, it can actually be severed. Then, of course, you can wield it as a weapon if you so desire.
It also has a material system which lets you do some truly bizarre things. With a Scroll of Change Material, you can use a broken steel boot to turn your bronze sword into a steel sword. Or, you could turn your sword into bread. Or, you could turn your right arm into solid gold. Also, you can use a scroll to summon a golem made of your material of choice - hopefully, unlike me, you won't accidentally read the scroll when you only have a can of banana flesh on hand.
There's also a full pantheon of deities to pray to, and who can either help or hinder you based on your relationship with them. If you keep up a good relationship with a god, they might replace your body parts, or send a guardian angel to help you out.

Here's a couple of death messages I have from the game:
    Killed by a blink dog while polymorphed into a bat
    Vomited himself to death
    Killed by a levitating ostrich's dirty attack below the belt
    Killed by a human flesh golem

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:18 pm
Profile WWW

Incursion, oh yeah, a game that even simulates chains wrapping around shields when you attack. It's awesome, unfortunately it's developer is not in some kind of "forever developing" mode. He decided to make his engine, programming language and compiler from scratch, and that will take at least 5 years to do :-(

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:57 am
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

The developers actually consider most stories of people defeating the final boss as bugs, so yeah, don't expect it to get any easier.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I must be a machine. I just slaughtered everyone in the starting and the first major town.

That sword the high priest drops is pretty damn good.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:44 am
Profile WWW

IVaN doesn't seem too horribly difficult, I just breezed through to the first town by bashing everything in my path to death with my iron mace and occasionally enchanting it.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:09 am

Terraria is pretty fun, and actually innovates. I don't like Dwarf Fortress. No, I'm not a casual for hating it, I just don't like asshit retarded pic related autists telling me what a good game is.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:09 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Uh, Terraria isn't a roguelike. Even if you count the permanent death mode, you could only call it a roguelike as much as Spelunky is a roguelike (which is to say, it has a few elements of one but it's otherwise not a roguelike). Also, Dwarf Fortress isn't technically a roguelike aside from adventure mode.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:49 am
Profile WWW

Sothe wrote:
Terraria is pretty fun, and actually innovates. I don't like Dwarf Fortress. No, I'm not a casual for hating it, I just don't like asshit retarded pic related autists telling me what a good game is.

1. Terraria is not a roguelike.
2. Dwarf Fortress (core part of it) is not a roguelike.
3. What the hell does autism have to do with Dwarf Fortress, Terraria or roguelikes?

Sorry for off-topic, I'll make it up for you.
I bring you Dungeon Crawl!
Best ♥♥♥♥ roguelike of all times, hands down.
Tons of races, tons of monsters, tons of variety. Balls-to-the-wall hard. Great community. Tournaments several times a year.
14 years in development and still, new features gets added every month.
If you don't play Dungeon Crawl, you don't know what a real roguelike is. :twisted:
Web version available here.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

1. Terraria and Dorfortress both have Roguelike modes/similarities. Terraria is just evolved, and mixes other genres together.
2. Autism has everything to do with Dwarf Fortress. Also Minecraft, but that isn't relevant to this.
3. cool game

User was warned for this post - You have to have autism to play Dwarf Fortress? What no, also using autism in this way is derogatory. There's no reason to be hating on people with Autism. - p3lb0x

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:49 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Terraria is not a roguelike, plain and simple. Here's a generally agreed-upon (albiet fairly loose) definition of roguelikes. Of that list, here's what Terraria has and doesn't have (I've put an asterisk on ones I'll elaborate on later):

High value (important) factors:
    Random environment generation
    Non-modal gameplay
    Hack 'n' slash
    Exploration
    Permadeath*
    Turn-based gameplay
    Grid-based gameplay*
    Complexity*
    Resource management*
    Discovery*

Low value factors:
    Single player character
    ASCII display
    Dungeons*
    Monsters similar to characters*
    Tactical challenge*
    Numbers*

Permadeath:
This is optional, and most people don't actually use it. As well, permadeath is usually reinforced in roguelikes by the fact that you need to continue moving in order to avoid starvation or continuous monster spawns. In Terraria, you can dig yourself a hole and safely stay there. Still, the option is there, so I'll say this is a "sort of".

Grid-based gameplay:
The world is a grid, but you move freely, as do the enemies and your attacks, so the game isn't grid-based.

Complexity:
As far as complexity goes, Terraria has very few methods of input. You have inventory management, and you have use of the currently-selected item, be it a potion, a spell or a weapon. Everything is managed through one menu, and things which roguelikes normally have - drinking, kicking, inspecting, talking - are either non-existent or combined into one function (ie left- or right-clicking). Things like individual limb damage and character stats (see my explanation of "Numbers") are also not present. The armour is split into three pieces, which, even by RPG standards, is pretty simple.

Resource management:
Yes, you have resources, and you have to manage them to an extent, but not in the roguelike sense. You can't starve to death, and healing potions, arrows, and other consumables are easily obtained or crafted.

Discovery:
By this, I mean discovery of new items. You do find new items as you go, but generally, in roguelikes, you can't tell what an item does until you've used it. For instance, potions come unlabelled, so drinking one could make you invincible, or it could kill you. Terraria has clear descriptions for every item you find, and they never have any negative effects for the user.

Dungeons:
The game has a dungeon, but it's not primarily made up of them. This doesn't even necessarily literally refer to dungeons, but rather a method of generating levels in which the world is divided into rooms and corridors. Terraria generates levels based mostly on Perlin noise, I believe.

Monsters similar to characters:
The only thing the monsters share with players are their health system. Otherwise, they move differently, they attack differently, and they don't have the same inventory system.

Tactical challenge:
There's really only one way of getting through Terraria, which is attacking enemies with your weapons (or, in some rare cases, dropping lava on them). In a roguelike, you have traps, spells, scrolls and material interactions at your disposal. As well, defeating enemies will usually involve finding their weaknesses and exploiting them, which can only be learned by trial and error. In Terraria, the enemies all follow the simple rules that hitting them will hurt them, and that (aside from a few exceptions) your attacks will knock them back.

Numbers:
Terraria has numbers denoting health, magic, and money. Most roguelikes have dexterity, strength, speed, intelligence and wisdom for the character alone, at minimum. Items have weight and armour has specific resistances against certain types of attacks. Each type of weapon usually has a skill level associated with it. Often, the chance of hitting an enemy and how high you rolled is shown.

So, overall, no Terraria isn't a roguelike. Does it have some elements of a roguelike? Yes, but that doesn't really make it a roguelike. It's an action/adventure RPG (and even then people would probably disagree that it's really an RPG in the traditional sense). Probably the biggest thing that Terraria shares with roguelikes is that they're both clearly influenced by western-style fantasy RPGs, which generally hark back to D&D - they have a pseudo-medieval setting with magic, potions, armour, melee weapons and monsters. Still, though, that doesn't make it a roguelike.

Dwarf Fortress, on the other hand, has more of those qualities, although its fortress mode is still missing a few. I've already written a wall o' text, though, so I don't really want to elaborate on that. Its adventure mode is much closer to a roguelike, though.

tl;dr
Terraria isn't a roguelike, and only Dwarf Fortress' adventure mode is a roguelike.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:01 am
Profile WWW

Sothe wrote:
1. Terraria and Dorfortress both have Roguelike modes/similarities. Terraria is just evolved, and mixes other genres together.
2. Autism has everything to do with Dwarf Fortress. Also Minecraft, but that isn't relevant to this.
3. cool game

I rarely get to talk to a person stuck as far up his own ass as you are.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:05 pm
Profile WWW

In IVaN, I found a bad-ass Mace of Turox and was super-happy. Then I hit a mushroom with it, and it caused an explosion. It knocked my head and one of my arms off, but I was still alive for about four or five turns.

Also, I keep on finding Scrolls of Wishing pretty early on - aside from an Amulet of Life Saving, what are some other good things to wish for?

Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:28 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Aaaah
WHY ARE ROGUELIKES SO COMPLICATED
See, this is the kind of game I want to play, but I can't ever do the controls, I don't understand any of the interface, and the really choppy grid based movement is extremely hard to work with.

Realm Of the Mad God is kind of like a really dumbed down MMO roguelike. It can be really fun, even if also really grindy at points.
I swear I played the pirate dungeon like, 80 times. Then I traded a friend for the second best sword and just sequence broke the whole game. :P
The final boss is super duper hard. The entire 100+ peoples server is transported to the room and only 30% of them live most of the time.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:09 pm
Profile WWW

That's the thing with roguelikes, when you waste 10 years of your life to learn to play the games properly, your first win gets so much sweeter.

I suggest you try out Legends of Yore
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment. ... ds_of_Yore
It's quite fun and I managed to get half way on Hard difficulty on my first try, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next