View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 pm



Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Spread the word and praise the sun! 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 1:30 am
Posts: 2841
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
I know I'm all late and stuff, but

Ragdollmaster wrote:
How is that a troll? It's much simpler to just buy the platform you want to play the game on rather than try to get the developer to port it.

ITT Miggles fails at logic.


Because it's so much easier to go and buy a console for one game you can't play on PC.
Let me just pull 500 dollars out of my ass so you can shut up.

The point I'm trying to get at here is, money is hard to get and developers aren't going to do anything unless they get paid.
Now there might be a slight possibility that Dark Souls might be ported to the PC.
I don't really know how long that takes, but I'm sure whoever made the game will drag it out until the next next next holiday or something when we have all forgotten about it and lost interest.
That kind of thing always happens.

And Rag. You're not being "a troll". You're just making yourself look ignorant.

/ollies outy

Edit: I don't know what the hell this is supposed to mean, but whatever Rag.


Last edited by Mackerel on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 1115
Location: Being The Great Juju
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
Fair enough, TLB. That first post was obviously offensive, and I can see how that gave a pretty bad impression of whether or not I was genuinely interested in the topic at hand.

In any case, sorry if any of my posts following the first came off trollish, as they were all completely serious and sincere.

BigBomb wrote:
Because it's so much easier to go and buy a console for one game you can't play on PC.
Let me just pull 500 dollars out of my ass so you can shut up.

$500? I don't think you can find any brand new consoles for over $299. I wouldn't be surprised if they had dropped to $250 or lower, really. I get your point, though you seemed to have missed mine- is it easier for you to buy a console or for the developer to port the game? Like you brought out yourself, this would have to be profitable for the developer to go through with it.

LordVonKain wrote:
regarding Rag comment about how many people would Re-buy the game.

a lot of people. mainly cause PC are far more superior over consoles in terms of hardware. And those who love the game (who happen to be "hardcore gamers") will want the best out of the game therefore will buy it again on the PC to improve their gaming experiance.

That's true, but if this got ported, I doubt it would be heavily optimized for PC. The graphical quality and performance would likely be almost identical to console gameplay. I'm sure some people could get a higher framerate or something, but nothing extraordinary. Now, if it turned out that the game could be modded on PC, it'd be a different story- higher resolution texture packs and other graphical tweaks- those would make a pretty big difference, yeah. However, nobody can really say for sure what the PC experience will be like until the game is ported. Maybe the port ends up spectacular and a huge hit. Or maybe it ends up buggy, glitchy, and ugly. I think the quality of the port itself will likely also be somewhat dependent on fan response to the petition- if a lot of people want the game on PC, the devs will make sure they give them plenty of reason to buy it :P


Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:53 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:49 am
Posts: 826
Location: England
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
in terms of Profits it's Better for the dev to do it via Pc

which again is mentioned in the video if dark souls was on the PC and steam the game will get thousands copy's bought within hours of it being on, as well as the fact it will carry on getting bought over the years, even 10 or 20 years down the line. it suit them more in terms of getting money by just getting a port to the PC

i mean for example shelf space for consoles in brick and mortar stores don't last a great deal of time. then also take into consideration a larger cut than valve has of the money per copy goes to the brick and mortar. There also the packaging cost, the Delivery cost, while if they ported to PC and to steam the game will have massive Shelf space, think of most of the oldest games on steam hell, the recent age of empire 3 complete which got on the top seller from Day one.
the same thing can happen to Dark souls so really the dev do profit the game a lot better than just on consoles.

also the fact once the shelf space goes in stores, the game goes to second hand stores and second hand games, no income goes towards the devs only the second hand store.

personally even if i have dark souls on a console i'll still get it again for the PC, i already done so with Metro 2033 and Saint row 2. there a few people who are pc gamers at heart, me being one of them. i could list a number of console only game that if i bought / got on console i would rebuy again on PC.


Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:47 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 am
Posts: 2034
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
Ragdollmaster wrote:
[/color]

BigBomb wrote:
Because it's so much easier to go and buy a console for one game you can't play on PC.
Let me just pull 500 dollars out of my ass so you can shut up.

$500? I don't think you can find any brand new consoles for over $299. I wouldn't be surprised if they had dropped to $250 or lower, really.


200-250 for console, or 300 for super duper version of console
Free controller included
50 for controller
50 for controller
50 for controller
60 Xbox Live year membership(around the lifespan of the average 360)
60 for Dark Souls
Not to mention other games at all

Normal console price: 470 plus tax, roughly 500(Normal Xbox360 consoles have trouble running the game)
Super Duper console price: 570 plus tax, roughly 615
Keep in mind tax is around 8-9%

This is just for Xbox 360. Brofist is going to need more than 500 dollars pulled out of his ass
300 or 250 is the starting price, classic Gyp technique.

Now, moving on to PS3


PS3 160GB - 250
PS3 320GB - 350
Free controller
50 for controller
50 for controller
50 for controller
Free online
60 for Dark Souls


PS3 160gigs - 560 plus tax, roughly 600+
PS3 320gigs - 660 plus tax, roughly 720+

Ouch, PS3 hurts even more in the pocket. But it's worth it if you're going to submit to consoles. It has a fair amount of good exclusives, you know, except LBP, FFXIII, and MAG. Oh also, it has Demon Souls, Dark Souls predecessor.

All of this information is based off of Amazon, with special deals. God forbid you buy any overpriced Gamestop hardware.


Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:49 am
Posts: 826
Location: England
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
sadly the same could be said towards upgrading your computer to the requirements dark souls need,

for my example i just need a GT560 graphic card 2 , 2 gig ram sticks / 1 4 gig ram stick (replacing my current ram) and upgrading my CPU, although it best just to buy a computer with the best CPU around, and when years advaces all you got to really do is replace Graphic cards.

while a high end Graphic card is roughly the same as a console on it own, but to get a fully good spec pc it can be wayy over 2 grand ( i planned on getting a very good gaming machine that can play all of recent games and games that will be out in the next two years maybe and it's only £965 pounds just for the machine itself.)

That said, the PC port ( if it just a simple port with the same graphic options and such) would maybe run on my system since skyrim does.


Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 am
Posts: 2034
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
Yeah, PC costs can get way more expensive.
Practicality is a huge thing here. If some people can't play it on one thing, but can play it on another thing, with enough support and reasons to port(bustin rhymes right thur)a port would be ideal. A good example would be Dark Souls, which is a bi-console sequel to Demon Souls, a PS3 exclusive.

PC just happens to have oodles of reasons to have Dark Souls.


Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:21 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:49 am
Posts: 826
Location: England
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
but the major thing i see about PC is you don't really need to replace them as often as people think, unless your a richy snobby bastard who always want the fullest quality and graphics for EVERY DAMN GAME ( or just a picky arse) then a good high end computer can last roughly for 10 years.

i'll use my PC again as an example i got this computer back in 2006,and it was just a normal working PC that slightly above the norm (it was also a computer that uses Vista as a beta i think)

but up till now (only counting up to 2011) it been 5 years, and i can still Play games that came out sure on the lowest setting but still play them to a doablity.

While the consoles tend to upgrade every now and then and need replacing and such ( taking the example of playstation one to 2 and then finally to 3)

playstation 1: released in 1994 (or at least the company was) the playstation 2 was released in 2000 (6 years) a new model of Playstation 2 was released in 2004, (4 years) and then playstation 3 was released in 2006, (6 years from the orginial PS2 2 for the new model) and in 2009 a new model of Playstation 3.

Now a person would have to buy 3 consoles from 1994 to 2009. plus a series of games.
and the kicker is, if i wanna play a older game? i gotta kick out a older console


in short with a pc, the only major parts you should replace often is the Ram / Graphic card, (often as in between 2-3 years depending really) and after 5-7 year get a new CPU.

which means i could really use this computer for another year or two and Still maybe get to play new gen games (assuming games for the 360 and ps3 get made) but they won't cause of the PS4 and the new xbox, so i'll need to replace my CPU and last another 5 or 7 years before replacing one.


Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 am
Profile
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:54 pm
Posts: 1070
Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
LordVonKain:

1: 'Thousands' of sales immediately will not cover porting costs. Developers like their money. Lawyers also like their money. This is WITH factoring in the 'thousands' part. You cannot guarantee any sales based on petition numbers. Double (or more) signings, people signing because their friends asked them to sign, etc. It all adds up, and you can't get a usable statistic from a petition. This is often why they are ignored by developers.

Sothe:

2. Why are you factoring in additional controllers for a SINGLE PLAYER GAME? This seems like you're artificially inflating the price of consoles. You can get a basic model 360, with a free controller, and yes, free xbox live time, for 200 dollars. Add in the price of a new game, you then have the total cost required to play Dark Souls on a console, SHOULD YOU NOT ALREADY OWN ONE.


Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:35 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:49 am
Posts: 826
Location: England
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
i know it wouldn't cover the cost straight away, i never said it will since games tend to go over maybe ten's of thousands (if that make sense, i rather make a rough Guess than a stupid guess) of dollars in creation, but regarding ports i'm sure it's Lower(again not that low though, which make sense cause the game is already made, all they have to do is make improvement to suit the machine, however it isn't as simple as it sounds).

But this would be within the first hour of it being released in which a full day may bring in tens of thousands of sales or even more, then over the lifetime it will span and span, even in 10 years time it will still be bought, that's the main point i'm trying to get along.

Of course the major part in them doing a port is purely "will this gain us more money in X period of time"

and i kinda thing you can get a usable statistic from Petitions, however it wouldn't be pure fact or at the very least very solid information regarding how many people will buy it this also lead into the long term effects of the game being on steam like i previously mentioned, the game will still be sold 10 years down the line and the dev/company will get the money while in brick and mortars they only have enough shelf space time, before landing into either a bargin bin (which can be between £1 to £5) and/or be sold as second hand copys in which no money will be gained for the company and devs so personally i see it as a better idea going on the PC as well.
i also believe (although this could just be my Naivety of how companies / Publishers / etc work) that seeing a large sum of people wishing to see the game ported, As well as seeing previous titles such as amnesia, STALKER (which stands for it's Immersion sense of atmosphere) and large sum of people whom wishes for hardcore games such as dark souls (gained from the use of modders making a game much harder than it previously was)
however that suggest that the companies do Research into what the consumers want. which to be honest seeing what been happening recently kinda make me think Not really but who knows they should do personally.

But either way your point does stand but i do believe that the other matter more so with the long term stuff, i mean if you do look at the games on steam, There are games that are REALLY old and still get bought and played.

but on the matter of getting it on console rather than wait for a PC port. welll i'm a Casual console gamer, which means i'm hardly ever on it and when i do go on i'm just doing it for pisstake and lulz, on very casual like games or games i play in very small chunks (such as play for an hour get bored and get off it).

i was to record how much Xbox i played since Christmas to this day it be about.. 5 days at most, While compare to how long i'm on my computer playing games / working / on my computer anyway it like well.. every day almost.


edit: about the console stuff, i believe slothe was talking in long term idea, Rather than Just that one game.

On reason i never got a PS3 as of yet is cause all the games i want is on 360 as well and very few games i want is on Ps3 so i'm waiting for a number of games i want on ps3 Then i'll get a ps3 and the controllers will be part of the pack cause clearly i doubt people will play on their one often.


Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:53 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 am
Posts: 2034
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
Yeah I may have crossed into long term costs,
but adding in Kinect and PSMove is just nightmarish cost-wise.
Anyways, onto Dark Souls stuff.
I think it has around 60,000 sigs since the last time I checked.


Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:07 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:50 pm
Posts: 2175
Location: Neverwhere
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
lol people thinking petitions will move big companies

see: firefly

also if its ported it would be really shitty and glitchy like most console to pc ports

see: gtaiv


buy a ps3. if you lack money and space, sell your computer.


Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:05 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 1:30 am
Posts: 2841
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
In all honesty this thread is just disguised to bash people who say stupid things and somehow it wasn't me who started it this time.

Got a good computer? Wait for the ♥♥♥♥ port if it happens.
Got a console? Buy the ♥♥♥♥ game.

End of thread.

Apparently not the end of thread because Duh likes undermining my dramatic ending statements.


Last edited by Mackerel on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:13 am
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:40 am
Posts: 7089
Location: b8bbd5
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
Mackerel wrote:
Got a good computer? Wait for the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ port if it happens.
Got a console? Buy the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ game.

Sage words.

I'm just going to insert my own two cents that won't affect anyone and say that Dark Souls seems like a masochist's game. My roommate was playing it and hated it and loved it at the same time (she never got more than three humanizing soul things).


Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:18 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 am
Posts: 2034
Reply with quote
Post Re: Spread the word and praise the sun!
It's known for you to die like every ten minutes or something. Challenging. Especially as a Deprived

Deprived is the alternate freelancer class that starts out stat-gimped with no equipment, unlike the highly versatile Hunter class.


Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.026s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]