View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 A Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: A Dwarf Fortress Succession Game
Natti wrote:
And don't be too harsh on the slackers, they're the hauler people.

Oh damn, I was about to conscript him into the unarmed forces. Izen could do with some company in skull crushing.
Izen wrote:
I am the best dorf. Ironically, I'm terrible at dwarf fortress.
I hope I become a dorfen hero.

You crushed a kobold's head with your hands.

I think you are already half way to hero.

Unfortunately, I might have trouble engraving your dwarf into every stone in the fortress. There is quite a bit of peat down there.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:15 am
Profile WWW

Natti wrote:
Finally, some progress!
And don't be too harsh on the slackers, they're the hauler people.

He can't haul. He's missing both his hands. He just sits in the dining hall. Waiting.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:01 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Fortress Update 2.
10th Granite, 127, Early Spring

My mining crews have been working very quickly. They have gone through the peat in the housing district quickly, and it reveals a disturbing fact. There is little stone down there, just mostly peat. This is a doubled sided axe. Digging through peat is quick, but it can not be engraved or used to make...anything, really.

"However, one of my farmers did come up with a suggestion. Why not grow crops in the peat layer?"

"So I started to draw up some new plans to expand the housing district to include a small farming sector. I decided to keep the housing layout for the farms, it keeps the different plant types seperated and makes expanding the area into more houses or farms a simpler matter of repeating the pattern. I prioritized the mining of the farming sector, so it will be done soon."

17th Granite, 127, Early Spring

By Armok I don't have much time. A flock of Great Horned Owl men and women are attacking the fortress I believe. I'm sealing the fortress entrance. No one is getting in. We'll have to hope that can hold them off till they lose interest.

20th Granite, 127, Early Spring

It is done. The wall keeping our enemies at bay is complete. Sadly, a few dwarves did not make it inside in time. Asmel Kaskonos, the bee keeper, Ducim Luzatmomuz, the craftsdwarf, who foolishly ran outside the wall area to take a break, Harzin Udargeshud, the farmer, Ilral Asobenas, the fisherdwarf.

Maybe I should tear down the wall for a hour and see if they run in? They just might make it. It is a risk we have to take, there are not many dwarves inside the fortress.

24th Granite, 127, Early Spring

My dwarves tried to stop me from tearing the wall down, but they stopped the moment they heard the migrants banging on the wall. I let them in, along with Harzin and the fisher dwarf. Izen went outside and looked around, and found no trace of the owl men. He did find a group of Giant Bushtit's, so we sealed the fortress up after the farmer limped inside. However, our foolish bone doctor Tulon ran outside, never to return, followed by a few more dwarves, babbling about taking items to stockpile. I made no heed to them, and sealed the wall.

A few of the dwarves were severely wounded, and helped to the hospital by Tomaster, who was now the fortress's only physician. A large number of immigrants arrived, bringing our population up to 40. See the census below for more information.
The fortress will remain sealed until I deem it safe for us to go back to the overworld. Until then, we must survive using what we have in here, which includes a lot of determination. The immigrants got to work expanding the farm fields. Meanwhile, my miners went to work on Commander Izen's home.

8th Slate, 127, Middle of Spring

The digging on his home is complete, along with a large number of regular homes also. I started to smooth the stone personally, and my dwarves started to move the furniture into position. Supplies seem to be holding well, with the biscuits I had produced in enormous quantities for breakfast, lunch and dinner keeping peoples hopes up. The issue is, we need more wood to make barrels, beds and bins, but none is available. I've been chatting with the machinist, and we've agreed that we could replace the wall at the front of the fortress with something that could be controlled with a lever. Now, I best be getting some sleep, its going to be a long month.

Good god that was close. I think I almost lost the fortress at one point. Other then the people stuck outside being eaten alive by Giant Bushtit's, there is quite a lot of activity going on, mostly with producing furniture for the housing district. But wood is seriously becoming a problem. I'm reserving most of it for barrels. Hopefully, a trade caravan will arrive soon, so I can open up the fortress again after they slaughter the birds, or get slaughtered themselves.

And if I run across anything that could be smelted, I definitely will make it into weaponry. Who knows, maybe we could push the monsters away for good?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:15 am
Profile WWW

Mmhh. If you are still taking names, can you name Tulon àlilcilob, Bone Doctor, after me?
I have a feeling that you're going to need more doctors :-o

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:34 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Sallen wrote:
Mmhh. If you are still taking names, can you name Tulon àlilcilob, Bone Doctor, after me?
I have a feeling that you're going to need more doctors :-o

Unfortunately, he was trapped outside.

May he rest in peace. But surprisingly, he is still alive. Perhaps if he survives this mess we will still have a doctor.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:35 am
Profile WWW
DRLGrump

Only physician? ♥♥♥♥ yeah, I'm important. Is that all I am?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Tomaster wrote:
Only physician? ♥♥♥♥ yeah, I'm important. Is that all I am?

Pretty much. You are the fortress's only physician.

And there are three people in the hospital. Suffice to say, you've got your work cut out for you.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 pm
Profile WWW

Find stone, and get your craftsdorfs to start making stone pots to store your alcohol. The only thing you really need wood for is beds.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:24 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Fortress update here. Soon.

10th Slate, 127 Middle of Spring

One of the dwarves suggested using the stone we have for pots instead of using the wood we have for barrels. I ordered the craftsdwarf to start work immediately. Even though we have not seen the sun in many days now, the people are not bothered by it at all, they seem overjoyed at the loss of access to the overworld. Infact, they are partying. Good to know morale is high.

Minkot Lormeng also gave birth to a healthy baby girl, right there during the party. Must have been a birthing one. Straight out of the womb and straight into the ale I suppose. Less then twenty minutes later, Asmel Kaskonos gave birth to a daughter as well. A large amount of furniture is in place for the housing district.

24th Slate, 127, Middle of Spring

I started work on the new metal working industry. Even though we have not yet struck any precious metal, I'm having the industries set up in advance. Meanwhile, the mason's, including myself, finish the stone work on Izen's manor.

8th Felsite, 127, Middle of Spring

Our agriculture has ground to a stop with a lack of fresh spawn to place into the earth. Not only that, there are reports of a giant wolverine outside the wall. Hmmph. I've started work on a little controllable gate, however.

14th Felsite, 127, Middle of Spring

A bunch of elves came up to the wall and banged on it till someone heard them. Apparently, they are here to trade. Me and some of the dwarves think that we should leave em up there for awhile, see if they kill what ever the ♥♥♥♥ is up there.

17th Felsite, 127, Middle of Spring

After leavin' them out there for a while, me and the boys decided to open up the fortress again, for some... "negotiations"

First though we'd have to finish the new gatehouse.

20th Felsite, 127, Middle of Spring

Gatehouse still not ain't done.

23rd Felsite, 127, Still the middle of spring...I think

Woohoo. The gatehouse is done. Finally. Now we have to tear down that wall we built. Everyone ran outside for some fresh air and to grab some wood for the furnace. The elves did not notice that though. They were more concerned with what we were bartering with...

We seized everything the mercent merchent merchant had. I had to promise some of the more peaceful dwarves that I would never do it again. Bah. The overworld belongs to us dwarves already, the surfacers just don't know it yet.

Woot caravan. Woot for pillaging.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

That's the right way to do it. ♥♥♥♥ the elves.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:52 am

Oh god I cringed a bit at the attack part.

You need to use burrows bro! If you designate it right than all of the dwarves will stop doing what they are doing and run down there.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:45 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

The Pink Panzer wrote:
You need to use burrows bro! If you designate it right than all of the dwarves will stop doing what they are doing and run down there.

I did though... But some people decided to go outside and bask in sunshine and the beauty of flying owls then staying inside and living.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:53 pm
Profile WWW

caekdaemon wrote:
The Pink Panzer wrote:

I did though... But some people decided to go outside and bask in sunshine and the beauty of flying owls then staying inside and living.

Well that makes sense than, they are dwarves, of course they would be retarded.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Burrows are pretty hit and miss. I rarely bother with them and things tend to sort themselves out. The only exception is a big 'PANIC' burrow limited to the meeting hall and a small food stockpile and communal dormitory from the fort's early days. Still get a few dorfs that 'tard out hardcore when I hit the panic button. Mostly it's to get dumbasses back inside so I can shut the giant granite 'airlock' (a 3x10 corridor with drawbridges at either end, wall-to-wall with traps, and the only door out leads straight into the barracks.) Naturally the dumbasses outdoors are the last ones to respond, but then the only important guy that tends to go outside is a legendary woodcutter, and he once chopped a goblin in half with a single swing.

I also use DwarfTherapist, which means I only have a few dedicated wood haulers, and outside items are auto-forbidden, which reduces "OMFG SOCKS" retard conga-lines.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 am

YO CAEK. Updates?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next