View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dust 514 

Post Dust 514
HD link

Basically, this is a fairly solid-looking MMOFPS. The graphics are definitely on-par with next-gen titles, even though they've got nothing on titles like Killzone or Battlefield, and while SPASE MAREENZ isn't a super-fresh setting it's certainly fresher than MODERN SOLJURZ. It's running on Unreal 3, so the mechanics are certainly fine.

Now you're probably wondering at this point, "Well, gee, Rag, it looks fine, but it doesn't seem like anything special. Certainly nothing I'd spend money on." Well, that's alright, because Dust 514 is entirely free to play- the one catch being that it's exclusive to the PS3.

So now you're likely thinking, "Well alright, it does look pretty nice for a F2P, but shooters are shooters- there's nothin' special about this one, is there?" Not quite. You see, Dust 514 is not the kind of shooter where there's only instanced matches with no long-term effects. Indeed, Dust 514 takes place in real time in a very large, dynamic universe. Specifically, the universe of Eve Online. How closely tied in are the two? If you're unfamiliar with Eve, the term "batshit insane" comes to mind to explain it. It is an extremely in-depth MMO filled with huge corporations, political powers, and alliances made up entirely of human players. Let's say these human players want to take over a planet because they need raw materials and resources, or they just want to expand their empire. To doe so, they can enlist the help of Dust 514 players as mercenaries. But the relation doesn't stop there- they don't just pay these mercs to run off and then wait an hour to see the result of the battle, no siree. Say a battle is going badly for political faction X: their forces just aren't a match for the defenses of faction Y. So faction X sends in their warship, the USS ♥♥♥♥ You, to unleash an orbital bombardment at the forces of faction Y, slaughtering the planet-bound peons and turning the tide of the battle. I think it's this relation mechanic that really makes Dust 514 unique- I've certainly never seen something like this before, so I'm pretty excited about this title.

tl;dr > F2P PS3-only real-time dynamic MMOFPS in the EVE Online universe with players from both games able to interact with each other

Last edited by Ragdollmaster on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:43 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Dust 514
This not coming to PC is bull♥♥♥♥ imo.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Yeah, frankly I am somewhat confused by the fact that it's tied into a PC-only title and is only coming to Sony platforms. That's really strange. It would have been brilliant as just an expansion to Eve or a standalone PC game with the same relation, but I think it's cool nonetheless.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:59 pm

PC IS AN INFERIOR PLATFORM FOR GAMES

Also this looks pretty cool; I'll check it out.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:56 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Not for PC?

Well, forget this game.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Not for Wii?

I don't think so. ¦:U

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:12 pm

Wish I could get into the beta. I have the key, but I'm missing a single cord that is required to make the PS3 work.

And the actual game is only for the PS3. The Vita is used for other things, like updating your equipment and purchasing stuff.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:35 pm

When you die, you lose all the equipment on you. Fortunately, the best stuff is like 25 cents, and EVE players can sponsor (ie buy equipment for) entire armies of Dust players. Seems pretty cool, however since its only for Playstation I can't get it.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:24 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Wait, I didn't understand something, we have two different games interacting in here?

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:48 am

Yes. Dust 514 is a shooter that takes place in the same universe as Eve Online. Because both are MMOs, everything is real-time and dynamic. The players of Eve Online have different positions and jobs- a lot of them are in various political powers, factions, corporations, etc, while some of them just cruise around in spaceships, trading or waging war. The players of Dust 514 are soldiers/mercenaries/guns-for-hire, and players in Eve Online can use the soldiers of Dust 514 to wage their battles in order to take over different areas of the universe or hold on to their territorial positions.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:52 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Holy ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥, this has to be the best idea someone ever had for a MMO. It has like ten times more in-depth gameplay than the regular MMO!

It's a shame that Dust is just for PS3, it seems like I won't be able to play it.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:04 am

Jomn wrote:
When you die, you lose all the equipment on you. Fortunately, the best stuff is like 25 cents, and EVE players can sponsor (ie buy equipment for) entire armies of Dust players. Seems pretty cool, however since its only for Playstation I can't get it.

And the equipment that you lose when you die was made by someone. And the materials that said someone used to create it were processed by someone using minerals mined by someone else. It's horribly complicated. I tried to get into EVE a year ago, and failed.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:54 am

I tried EVE. The first time I played I chose the race apparently least suited for combat and got owned trying to kill some raiders.
The second time I tried learning more about the choices first, and went with a more mining suited ship. I was recruited into a guild and spent three hours mining space rocks before realizing that I was retarded and shouldn't be playing games like these, because I would end up becoming a hermit and/or killing myself.

That being said, I am excited to try Dust 514.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:17 am

But you were mining those space rocks for a reason. You were part of a whole for a few hours, before you decided to quit.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:31 am

Roast Veg wrote:
Not for Wii?

I don't think so. ¦:U

Maybe there can be a Wii complement, like a cooking mama type thing where you are trying to feed all the soldiers on PS3.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next