View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:45 pm



Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Buying a PS3 - Suggestions! 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:57 pm
Posts: 1020
Reply with quote
Post Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
So I'm looking at becoming one of the Unwashed Console Masses, potentially. Not to replace my Master Race Box, and not without good reason, of course.
As the PS3 reaches the end of its lifespan, I took back over the games released for it, and weep. These games will ever have their day in the wonderful digital world that is my Steam library. They will never be an .exe that will run and frolic through my cores, me with one hand upon WASD, the other perched atop my mouse, finger strumming gently across the ridged wheel...
Long story short, PC is never getting these games and I still want to play them.


Currently looking at:
Dragons Dogma (Dark Arisen) (It sounds good, the game+expansion is pretty cheap for a new game)
Little Bigplanet 2 (Customisation to the max! Physics!)
Demon's Souls (Dark Souls was my GOTY)
Valkyria Chronicles (Tactical RPG, incredibly well reviewed)
Rune Factory Oceans (I enjoyed Harvest Moon)
Metal Gear Solid 4/2+3 HD collection (What's a PS3 without MGS? I enjoyed #2)
Zone of the Enders HD collection (I enjoyed the first one back in the day, can't remember much of it aside from flying acrobatic mecha and micromissiles. Nostalgia choice)
Bayonetta & Vanquish


As you can see, I'm looking more for games with at least a bit of thinking behind them, not hundredmanshoots. RPGs are definitely nice, the more upgrading weapons/nonrestrictive classes/crafting the better.
Pricewise I'm looking at games that are a little older. £20 is probably the max I'd spend at the minute (ZoE/MGS collections are that much for several games).

I've heard nice things about the Atelier series, not sure where to start with that one (just get an old one as it's cheapish? Get the newest one as it supersedes the older?). Armoured Core V sounds interesting, but I've heard that the gameplay doesn't quite match up with the depth of customisation.

Any suggestions? If it's out on PC, I'll probably be getting it there instead.


Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:50 pm
Posts: 2175
Location: Neverwhere
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
If you're just interested in the modding tools than LBP2 is good for you. I personality don't really care that much about the creation aspect of LittleBigPlanet but the first game ranks among my favourites because of its really well designed single player levels, something which LBP2 fails to deliver on, being an adequate demonstration of the new toys but without the real quality of the first game's levels.

You absolutely have to play all the Uncharted games. Nothing terribly groundbreaking and the games are fairly short but what the game does is all 100% quality.

Are you into fighting games at all?


Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 pm
Profile
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:00 pm
Posts: 4141
Location: Hell.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Dark Void is good, it was also on PC, but you might've missed it. Also good are the games from the Resistance franchise, assuming you like FPS games. Me, I can't play them for long before feeling ill, but you might enjoy them. They are quite a bit trigger tappy, but I did enjoy the storyline.

Seriously though, Dark Void is epic, if a bit short. It's around fourth on my top ten list. It also has a damn good soundtrack.


Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35 pm
Posts: 675
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Red Dead Redemption and the God of War games are both awesome. In my opinion, GOW3 has the best singleplayer out of any game I've played.


Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:50 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 1115
Location: Being The Great Juju
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Uncharted trilogy is fun to play and/or watch because the games are basically in the vein of modern-set Indiana Jones films, but more over-the-top.

Heavy Rain is a really interesting game, it was strange to get into it but as you progress through the game, it's hard to not become caught up in the thrill and suspense that it so masterfully sets out to generate. Definitely a unique title.

When it comes out, The Last of Us looks like it will be the absolute tits.

Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch is a JRPG that got a lot of love

As David mentioned, God of War- I think you can buy a deluxe edition which has the console trilogy as well as the portable installments, beautifully remastered in aych-dee

inFamous 1 & 2, superhero sandbox games with a unique narrative and pretty strong stories, binary moral choices that are done really well (ie play evil and you will feel like a massive ♥♥♥♥, play good and you will feel like Jesus)- first one shows its age and lack of AA pretty hard but the second one is absolutely beautiful

Journey, just play it, it's cheap and short

If you're into racing at all, Motorstorm Pacific Rift or Apocalypse are pretty solid (I find the original to be really slow and clunky so yeah, all about the sequels)



All the ones you mentioned are good, MGS4 is probably still my single-most favorite game of all time.


Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:59 am
Posts: 99
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Barnox wrote:
So I'm looking at becoming one of the Unwashed Console Masses, potentially. Not to replace my Master Race Box, and not without good reason, of course.
As the PS3 reaches the end of its lifespan, I took back over the games released for it, and weep. These games will ever have their day in the wonderful digital world that is my Steam library. They will never be an .exe that will run and frolic through my cores, me with one hand upon WASD, the other perched atop my mouse, finger strumming gently across the ridged wheel...
Long story short, PC is never getting these games and I still want to play them.


Currently looking at:
Dragons Dogma (Dark Arisen) (It sounds good, the game+expansion is pretty cheap for a new game)
Little Bigplanet 2 (Customisation to the max! Physics!)
Demon's Souls (Dark Souls was my GOTY)
Valkyria Chronicles (Tactical RPG, incredibly well reviewed)
Rune Factory Oceans (I enjoyed Harvest Moon)
Metal Gear Solid 4/2+3 HD collection (What's a PS3 without MGS? I enjoyed #2)
Zone of the Enders HD collection (I enjoyed the first one back in the day, can't remember much of it aside from flying acrobatic mecha and micromissiles. Nostalgia choice)
Bayonetta & Vanquish


As you can see, I'm looking more for games with at least a bit of thinking behind them, not hundredmanshoots. RPGs are definitely nice, the more upgrading weapons/nonrestrictive classes/crafting the better.
Pricewise I'm looking at games that are a little older. £20 is probably the max I'd spend at the minute (ZoE/MGS collections are that much for several games).

I've heard nice things about the Atelier series, not sure where to start with that one (just get an old one as it's cheapish? Get the newest one as it supersedes the older?). Armoured Core V sounds interesting, but I've heard that the gameplay doesn't quite match up with the depth of customisation.

Any suggestions? If it's out on PC, I'll probably be getting it there instead.




1. Metal Gear Solid 4

2. Dark Souls + The Knight Artorious DLC they have for it.

3. Dragon's Dogma, is amazing.

4. Lost Planet 2.

5. God of War, is ok.

6. Way of the Samurai 4, stay away, unless you liked the other ones, then its ok.

7. Heavy Rain is like shenmue but darker, way way darker.

8. I have owned Red Dead Redemption on both PS3 and 360, I prefer the PS3 one.


Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:23 pm
Posts: 1416
Location: North-Ish
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Demon's Souls, most definitively.

Both Journey and Flower. Get the Journey Collector's Edition if possible. It includes Journey, Flower, and flOw, if I am correct.

Heavy Rain if you want story.

LBP 1, or 2. I personally preferred 1, but 2 has more stuff to do.

Killzone 3 was quite an entertaining FPS, as well as Resistance 3. Personally I enjoyed Killzone better, but only because of the more futuristic setting.

I didn't like the Uncharted series very much, but it was universally enjoyed by mostly everyone. So you might want that.

And finally all of the Metal Gear Solids. All of them.

In conclusion:

Demon's Souls.
All of thatgamecompany's games.
Heavy Rain.
Little Big Planet 1 or 2.
Killzone 3.
Uncharted Series (?)
Metal Gear Solid 1- all of them.


Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:06 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:26 am
Posts: 1633
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Harzipan wrote:
Heavy Rain if you want story.

Heavy Rain has a stupid story that falls apart the second you think about it. I can't say why without spoilers, obviously, but it's terrible.


Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:46 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:50 pm
Posts: 2175
Location: Neverwhere
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Benpasko wrote:
Heavy Rain has a stupid story that falls apart the second you think about it. I can't say why without spoilers, obviously, but it's terrible.

Heavy Rain definitely isn't the masterpiece some people claim it is but it's still pretty enjoyable. The plot is pretty good by video game standards.

If you're mainly talking about the killer's motives (I know that's a lot of peoples' complaint) I personally found it perfectly acceptable.


Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:55 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:26 am
Posts: 1633
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Contrary wrote:
Heavy Rain definitely isn't the masterpiece some people claim it is but it's still pretty enjoyable. The plot is pretty good by video game standards.

If you're mainly talking about the killer's motives (I know that's a lot of peoples' complaint) I personally found it perfectly acceptable.

I'll use spoilers to say that my biggest issue was that they completely dropped the


Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:32 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:50 pm
Posts: 2175
Location: Neverwhere
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
I wouldn't call it a plot hole since it doesn't contradict anything. A loose end maybe. And it's purpose is really just to be a red herring I think. It's a mystery, there needs to be a full plausible persons it could be.

Other games:

GTAIV - It IS on PC but from what I hear it's an awful port.
Red Dead Redemption
LA Noire (erh i guess)
Infamous - gotta second this is a very quality title. The morality system is just kinda funny over all it's a solid, solid game.


Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:03 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:57 pm
Posts: 1020
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Contrary: I enjoy Guilty Gear, used to play Soul Calibur's character creation/story mode, but heard the newest one isn't that great. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger is £5, so grabbing that.

I've finished Red Dead for the 360, and LA Noire and GTA IV on the PC.
I've got Dark Souls on the PC, which is why I'm getting Demons.
Played God of War on the PS2, not really all that interested in the newer ones.
I'll look into inFamous. Is it worth just getting the second?


Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:43 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 1115
Location: Being The Great Juju
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
If you read a detailed plot summary of the first so that you understand all the characters and references, I guess you could skip to the second, yeah, but the story is obviously delivered much better if you actually play through the first.


Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:57 pm
Posts: 1020
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Ok, think I'm ready to order now:

Resonance of Fate
inFamous 1/2
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
LBP2
Bayonetta
Vanquish
MGS4
Rune Factory Oceans
Dragons Dogma
Demons Souls
Valkyria Chronicles

MGS HD Collection/ZoE HD Collection/ICO Collection are all on 'watch', until they drop in price.
As is Journey, 3D Dot Heroes and Katamari. I'm trying to keep this initial batch under £300.
I'll grab PS+ as well.

Monitor is ready, power is fine, internet is wifi, it is used but "comes with all original accessories" which I assume includes a controller.
I think I'm all sorted?


Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:00 pm
Posts: 4141
Location: Hell.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Buying a PS3 - Suggestions!
Why not get Dark Void? It is a really good game. Also, jetpacks.



Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.026s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]