View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:08 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Win/Loss Replacements 

Post Re: Win/Loss Replacements
I wish I registered back in those times. Now, every machine gun is an "AK resprite" and if the sprites aren't OMG U CREATED THE SNES!!1?1/1/1! quality, you get laughed at.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:03 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

ITT: Off topic.

Meaning stop lol.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:24 am

thats l337 ! i dled XD

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:19 pm

Funtastic wrote:
How long HAVE you been around these forums anyway?

Long enough to become elitist.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:16 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Except I was never elitist about my time on the forums, and people are dumb for assuming I am.

AND ONCE AGAIN WE ARE SPIRALING INTO OFF TOPIC.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:18 pm

Location: In my Brain Bunker when a grenade flies in and blows up in my face, killing me and my brain...
What does l337 mean anyway?

I also downloaded it just because it was fun to freak out my friend out... and it looked cool.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:15 pm

Ah, reminds me of the good old days before bunker building. Those were fun because you actually had an objective >< here it's more like survival but it's still fun as hell. Very first mod I ever DL'd waaay back when.

ColeScheffler wrote:
What does l337 mean anyway?

1337 is Leet code, and 1337 itself means Leet. Leet is a German word meaning Elite, The Best, etc. Leet/1337 code on a computer involves replacing letters with numbers and symbols. Some common ones are 3 = E, 4 or @ = A, stuff like that.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:05 am

German word? Are you sure about that? The story I've always heard is that leet's just short for elite, and it evolved into the number-and-symbol code you see today. 5|251`/. On topic, the replacements are pwn. How did you do the blur without fudging up the edges?

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:24 am
Profile WWW

Alenth Eneil wrote:
I remember when the sprites that FF and I made for our SWM were considered acceptable, and weren't even commented on.

And when stuff like this was considered cool.

And I also remember when grif didn't know how to mod, or zalo, or capn, or anyone really.

I think I've been here too long...

What can I say? I can't sprite for anything.

Also, I'm technically the 2nd oldest person in the thread thus far (behind Alenth), but then, nobody knows me, so that's fine.

I was always way more into the coding stuff anyway. Those impact explosions made history. Which was then promptly forgotten when Data released the next build a day later.

Anyway, I remember this mod. Makes me want the Messiah Cannon to be made reality once more.

Yes, I make a lot of line breaks when my thoughts are disjointed. Now get me some moldy cheese.

EDIT: also...

Wikipedia wrote:
Leet (written 31337, 1337, L337, 1337r0z, 13370rz, and l33t), or Leetspeak, is a written argot used primarily on the Internet, which uses various combinations of ASCII characters to replace Latinate letters. The term is derived from the word "elite", and the usage it describes is a specialized form of symbolic writing. Different dialects of leet are found on different online forums.

Initially, the word leet was used as an adjective, to primarily describe the behavior or accomplishments of others in the community. In that usage, Leet generally carries the same meaning when referring to either the game prowess or, in original usage, hacking expertise of another person. From adjective form its use then expanded to include use as an expletive in reaction to a demonstration of the former qualities. With the mass proliferation of Internet use in the 1990s into the 21st century, Leet has since become a part of Internet culture and slang.[1] Leet may also be considered a substitution cipher, albeit with much variation from user to user.

So the word is not German. You're probably confusing it with über, which is indeed German and is just the preposition meaning (usually) "above" and usually has little to do with the English version when used in normal speech.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:19 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3