View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 -AAL Experimental Tech- ))AAL Product [v2] 

Post Re: -AAL Experimental Tech- ))AAL Product
RedSonSuperDave wrote:
If you (numgun) specifically request it, I will individually review each and every bomb, but I'm not going to do that unless you'd like to know how they perform on my midrange PC.

Yes please, if you have time, if not, then atleast tell me what you liked the most and hated the most from these bombs. Also what are your specs? Mine are 1.66Ghz and 488 RAM and I do experience lag too. But I just cant reduce the particle count since it wouldnt be so awesome after that.

Barrett: This powerful sniper rifle easily goes through six feet of concrete with enough power left over to kill or seriously wound the poor sap who thought he was safe in his bunker. I like the beefy sound effect for this gun. The one flaw is that it seems to not have enough kick. A Light Coalition trooper can fire this gun as though it's a .22 varmint gun.

The Barrett did have a nice recoil kick back then when it was made, but the reason I removed it back then is that each time you fire it while using the zoom, you get knocked off your position and the zoom cancels and potentially kicks back your trooper of his spot and maybe even down a long vertical shaft followed by death from falling. Since I wanted to see what happens to that poor one when the bullet hits his skull, so I removed the recoil.

Spitfire: An excellent short- to mid-range weapon. It looks good and doesn't lag my computer unlike certain other mods' flamethrowers. My only gripe is that I think it shouldn't damage terrain as much as it does. A flamethrower shouldn't cut through a foot of concrete bunker wall in under ten minutes

Guess I could fix that, didnt really care about it since I tend to be often in situations that im stuck in my bunker with no way out unless I make a path with the flamer. To counter this power though, I made it hazardous to use by making the fuel tank easy to blow up.

Option Turrets: I don't see these in the topic, but they're showing up in my buy menu under "robots". I love the laser turret, its bouncy lasers make defending tight or convoluted passages almost too easy. I'm not as fond of the pulse turret, if only because it penetrates too much terrain, IMO. With its perfect accuracy, it's easy to cut a 1-pixel-wide hole to the outside of your base and destroy all opposition from underneath thirty feet of solid rock.

Alright, I'll fix that by making the pulse turret lean more on kinetic power.

@ Prod: Sorry for the crashing, its the MG.ini that causes it. But you cant just disable it unfortunately. Due to my tortured way of coding back then, it has references for every other part of AAL that are dependant on it.
For now just restore to what it was and try running CC until it works, Im redoing the entire AAL faction and these problems will be gone. But that will take alot of time and it wont be out by anytime soon.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Hey numgun.
Can I mention how to do the ancient "fireworks" trick with the spitfire?

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:40 pm

lol sure, does it still work? : )

Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:13 pm

Roy-G-Biv wrote:
"fireworks" trick with the spitfire?

An ♥♥♥♥♥♥ special. Mod is awesome.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks a lot, Numgun. Can't wait to see your other revamped stuff.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:21 am

The streaker is supposed to be a homing rocket lawnchair? doesn't seem like it, the rockets don't seem to track.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:34 am

Pre-emptive WTL;DR: Promised review of bombs which tests the reader's endurance and the forum's 60000-character-per-post limit. If my grammar is not up to its usual level, please overlook it.

First: The stuff that's not bombs, beacons, or grenades, but that I didn't cover in my last post. Where should I start? I didn't notice this before, but the Avenger seems to have a problem with the sound. It looks to me as though both barrels fire at once, but the game's trying to play two sounds at the same time, garbling both. Anybody else see this?

Next, we have the Exorcism rifles. I don't understand the concept, exactly, do these rifles fire black magic or spiritual bullets or something? They seem to behave differently than any other rifles I've ever seen. To my uneducated non-modding eye, it looks like they have very low sharpness. I particularly like the one that fires black triangles. It's got a pathetic range, but it's safe to use in tight passages because it won't ricochet and hurt the wielder. I always equip my brain guard with this rifle when using this mod.

We follow up with the Instagib rifles. Personally I'd make the bullet that does the actual gibbing invisible, because when shooting at a moving target, sometimes the "gib bullet" goes off on a different trajectory than the laser. I prefer the regular version to the X version, because I score more kills on my own troops than on the enemies with the X version. I'm sure this is intentional, you shouldn't use power like this casually. I also like that such a powerful weapon doesn't chew through the terrain like most of the other uber mod weapons I've seen.

Request: In your main AAL mod, you include some small orange blocks which are tougher than the regular bunker modules. I think that they should be included in this mod as well, to provide a defense against the amazing power of some of these weapons. At present, this mod is unsuitable for two-player games because of a few broken strategies.

Okay, now onto the meat of this post: The bombs. I guess I'll go down the list as they appear in the buy menu. Regarding performance issues, I am playing this game on Windows XP with the latest graphics drivers, on a dual-core 3.00 Ghz Pentium 4 with 3.5 gigs of RAM and a GeForce FX 5600 (which is because of my AGP motherboard). If I don't specifically mention a performance hit in a bomb description, it's because I didn't have any with that bomb.

Neutron Beacon: The second most problematic of all the AAL-EX series. It looks like it's supposed to be an impenetrable shield, but it's as deadly to the user as it is to his enemies. Once in a great while, I can make it come up around the user, but this causes the victim to get bounced to death inside the shield. It's possible that I'm completely missing the point of this weapon, and it's only supposed to be used for area denial. If this is a feature instead of a bug, disregard this point. This weapon also suffers from some kind of bug whereby if it's ever dropped (as opposed to deployed), such as when an actor is killed while holding it, it becomes intangible. It stays exactly where it first appears, and is not affected by gravity, collisions with objects, or bullets, as though it became part of the background. Some of the other items in this pack have this happen to them on occasion, but the Neutron Beacon has this bug 100% of the time when it isn't properly deployed.

Heat Bomb: Heavy destructive power in a small area. I ended up using a six-pack of these to kill Zorneus. Precise and effective, not much more to say.

Flamer Nade: This is a decently powerful grenade that spews fiery devastation over a wide area, randomly sparing small patches. It's a pyromaniac's dream. It causes some barely-noticeable slowdown, but nothing that negatively affects the flow of battle. (I'd call this the Napalm Grenade.)

Ground Bomb: Great for plugging holes quickly, and the dirtballs are affected by physics. Not particularly deadly, this is more of a tool than a weapon.

Ice Bomb: Just as the notes say, this is for capturing units without hurting them. If you prefer to toy with your enemies instead of annihilate them, this is the weapon for you. It can also be used to quickly plug holes like the Ground Bomb.

Black Nade: I like the concept of a grenade that utterly destroys actors but leaves terrain untouched. However, this creates a weakness in this otherwise excellent weapon. A blade of grass will block the black particles, let alone any small irregularity in the terrain. I could only effectively use this grenade in smooth tunnels, a couple of pixels of dirt provide better cover against this weapon than a foot of ceramocarbide body armor.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:34 am

(continued, please excuse the double post)

Pierce Bomb: Cheap and deceptively deadly, but obviously a lot of work has gone into balancing the range against the price. Godly in combination with the Mole Bomb.

Terrain Bomb: The opposite of the Black Nade, this obliterates terrain but is harmless to actors. I think the price for this weapon is a little high considering how small the area of effect is. I'd make this bomb not affect gold, if such a thing is possible.

Quake Bomb: Nice visuals on this one; an overwhelming blast in a decent area. This bomb seems to kill by pure force, I'd call it the "Concussion Bomb" as it doesn't actually cause a quake.

Luminant Bomb: Beautiful, but not particularly destructive. In testing, Dummies would frequently survive hits with this bomb if they were on the outer edge of the blast. This weapon causes slight lag until the lightshow starts to die out.

Cluster Bomb: A nice cheap antipersonnel weapon. Not dependable, but a good value for the price.

Smart Bomb: I'm not sure why this is called "smart", I'd call it a "Particle Bomb" or a "Proton Bomb" or something. Maybe I'm not using it right, but it seemed to act just like every other bomb.

Repeller Bomb: The "Banana Cannon" of Cortex Command, this is the ultimate in unpredictable explosive death. Only for use FAR away from your own base.

Vortex Nade: The "sucking" effect works fine on everything against actors, which it just instantly gibs. This weapon doesn't cause lag on its own, but in combination with other bombs or grenades, it can cause severe lag if a lot of particles are blown loose from the terrain.

Drowner Nade: This is the most problematic of all the AAL-EX series. Out of a dozen attempts, I only successfully deployed this grenade three times. It seems to like to make the game crash, particularly if an actor comes out of the dropship with this weapon equipped. The weight doesn't seem to interact with the terrain correctly either; it looks like it's supposed to crush its way down through the dirt, but it ends up making twenty or so 1-pixel-wide tunnels with one pixel of dirt between each tunnel, sort of a "comb" effect. I also don't understand why this is called the "Drowner" when it doesn't involve any sort of fluid. It caught on fire once and didn't burn the other two times, I don't know if that's random or just buggy.

EMP Bomb: A nice visual effect, suitably deadly for the price, good for short-term area denial. IMO this should spare flesh actors but destroy robots and cyborgs, at present it's equally deadly to everything.

Mole Bomb: Expensive, as it should be, this is great at breaching into deep cover. However, without some kind of bunker material that can resist it, this weapon (especially in combination with the Pierce Bomb) is unsuitable for multiplayer games; there's just no defense at all against a dropship loaded with a half-dozen of these bastards.

Assault Bomb: One of the less conventional weapons in this pack. I'd have the assault last a few seconds longer. It causes a slight lag when it first goes off.

Xenon Nade: A true superweapon, this has a beautiful and complex effect. There is substantial lag during the "cooking" period, and a few seconds of extreme lag at the final explosion. IMO the cooking period goes on a little too long.

Zorneus Nade: His arrival is heralded by a few seconds of extreme lag (and a swarm of skeletons), but then the game becomes playable again. This is the guy that Cthulhu has nightmares about. It took six heat bombs to the face to kill this abomination, and after the fifth, I could swear that he was running around killing my soldiers completely unconcerned about the LOSS OF HIS FREAKIN' HEAD! He also seems to reflect shots; whatever you hit him with he sends back times ten. Numgun, I'd like some detail on precisely who or what this creature is. Is he a horror from beyond the edge of the universe, War personified, a twisted experiment in black magic, or what?

Undead Nade: This is as useful as it is gruesome. Does this have a duration after which it runs out, or does it just keep eternally pumping out zombies? IMO the chainsaws as well as the guns from the Assault Bomb should be buyable from the weapons menu of this mod.

Knocker Nade: I don't understand what this weapon is supposed to do. Is it just to make the skies randomly hazardous, or a failed space elevator, or what?

Meteor Nade: This is both beautiful and deadly. It causes fairly severe lag for most of its lifetime.

Wolcano Nade: Another pretty/deadly weapon. The lag on this is not quite as bad as the Meteor Nade.

Option Beacon: A deployable neutral Pulse Cannon useful for large area denial. The turret generates two Pulse Cannons when it's killed, is this intentional?

Ypsilon Bomb: This is the superweapon that sets the standard for all other superweapons. It is remarkable both for its beauty and its destructive power. It utterly obliterates everything within one screen in either direction. Unfortunately, it also generates awe-inspiring lag. It takes approximately a minute to regain control of the game once this weapon is deployed.

LTM1A Series: These are balanced just right. The mines don't stick around too long, but are deadly enough that they can block off a tunnel for a short period. The one gripe I have is that the "vertical" and "horizontal" designations appear to be purely hypothetical. Every single time I deploy these mines, the trip lasers are at an angle.

Flamer Mine: Well, it's a good enough mine, but the name is misleading. The shrapnel is a far more important component of this weapon than the flame. I only see a tiny puff of flame, with deadly chunks of debris shooting off in every direction.

(edit to respond to post below): No, I didn't realize that until you pointed it out.
*Kicks self down a well*

Last edited by RedSonSuperDave on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:35 am

You realize he named the bombs so he could have one for each letter, right?

Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:33 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

RedSonSuperDave wrote:
... He also seems to reflect shots; whatever you hit him with he sends back times ten. Numgun, I'd like some detail on precisely who or what this creature is. ...

He's maybe one of the Greater Hell Beast probably the incarnation of Wrath ( Satan ) , maybe a Damned.

But only shoot the head or get screwed by his defense mechanism, shoot the torso and get raped by the shards of your bullets.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:08 am

Gifs?

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:23 pm
Profile WWW

wutangfan1990 wrote:
Gifs?

Why?

Like Foa said, go for headshots, or die from zorneous.
And 2 guides.

How to kill a ypsilon cannon easily.
1. Throw zorneous bomb.
2. Make sure the ypsilon does not kill it.
3. Run and watch zorny kill the ypsilon cannon.

How to do the fireworks with the spitfire.
1. Reload the spitfire.
2. Shoot the magazine, but don't completly destroy it.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:27 pm

Note on the Flamer bomb- It's more effective in enclosed areas.

I don't mean it kills stuff better when they are in a smaller area, I mean, if you throw it into an enclosed area more fire will come out. Or it appears to do that anyway.

In other words, throwing it randomly it useless, you need to find a tight corner then throw it in there and it'll go MAD.

I SHOULD KNOW.

I think it's the flamer bomb anyway, I know it's one of the AAL bombs.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:23 pm

Another note on flamer bomb.

Remember?
Numgun says don't throw it at a zorneous.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:51 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Roy-G-Biv wrote:
Another note on flamer bomb.

Remember?
Numgun says don't throw it at a zorneous.

He said Heat Bomb.

Heat Bomb = Hellza Raepful

Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:12 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next