View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Taehl Bunker Tiles v1.5 

Post Re: Taehl Bunker Tiles v1.4
I love the new lights, especially since you can shoot the lights out.
Now if only you could make a BKmodule that allowed a very dark overlay. (IE: A black Glow.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:23 am

Location: In my custom-made vault, ordering bodies about while admiring a decorative plant.
Sadly, that's impossible. The current version of CC only does additive glows, which means a glow either adds light or is transparent.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:04 am
Profile YIM WWW

The Effects INI wrote:
// this file is big and ugly. no doubt it can be optimized.
// if you know how it can be done, please drop me a line in the forum.

Well, you could split the file into 3 INIs.

1 INI for the particles.
1 INI for the Emitters except for the one at the very top.
1 INI for the MOSRotatings.

Also, I'm going to see how you make the awesome lights. Maybe I could make a flashlight out of that.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:12 am

If you're going to do single glow lights, could you make them not light up the material concrete behind the light?

Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:05 am

Location: In my custom-made vault, ordering bodies about while admiring a decorative plant.
I don't think that's possible. It seems that glows are rendered on top of everything else. Besides, that would look bad in some situations (right next to an inner corner, light would appear to go through the wall, etc.).

And as for optimizing my file, I mean in making it use less code. I use essentially the very same code over and over and over again, which bothers me (as a programmer, I hate having to repeat myself). I tried to make a single parent (in object-oriented terms) class for each section containing all the required properties of a full object, so that each child could contain only the unique properties for it's given situation. Sadly, I failed.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
Taehl wrote:
I don't think that's possible. It seems that glows are rendered on top of everything else. Besides, that would look bad in some situations (right next to an inner corner, light would appear to go through the wall, etc.).

Wrong, if you were trying to put a glow on a vertical wall to illuminate the left side it would overlap(2), but if you made the glow according to the surface you were placing it on, it would look ok. (1)

Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:54 am

He's saying, though, that if you were to place that glow in a top left corner, it would still overlap on the top.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:38 pm

I've thought of that already, and that method isn't without its own problems. Observe:
While 1 might be technically correct, I just think 2 looks better. Not to mention, I've made a small tweak in the next version that will let you place lights inside of walls, if you so desire, which would also look wrong with a shaped glow.

EDIT: Lord Tim's last post is also a valid point (imagine the wall pointing right instead of left - the glow would then cover that part of the wall). And while I could make a specially-shaped glow for each and every situation, it goes against one of the core goals of TBT: Flexibility. Not to mention, it'd seriously pollute the item list.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I think the circle glow is over all much better. Anyway, this is amazing, but it would be so much better if it could be used in the bunker builder.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:41 am

Location: Hopefully in front of a gaming platform of some kind
um, I am pretty sure that it has been stated nearly a hundred times that stuff like this can be included in the bunker builder. It only takes a few simple steps (don't ask what those steps are, i forgot). You can probably find it in the wiki.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:23 pm

Really great stuff, the lights are superb and these actually allow me to make my bunker 9001 times more interesting.

My only complaint is the landing beacon light. My suggestion make it function as a normal light. The current beacon beam itself would be an MOSRotating with HitsMOs and GetHitByMOs both 0 so it cant be touched, but it will have a GibImpulseLimit of 0.001 or lower. The thing is the beacon beam is an attachable on the beacon base that can be destroyed and once its busted, the beacon beam will get unattached and hit the terrain after which the GIL will kick in and kill the beacon.

Also breakable stuff like storage crates, barrels and other objects like that, which we can interact with or use as dynamic cover. BlipFlips gravity gun could be used to move them if wanted.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Ah great, these are really useful. This way we can have corridoors large enough for MPAMS and other large units.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:12 pm

These really are great, but when using them on longer stretches they start to look repetitive. You should add a piece that doesnt have the little indents on the outside and dont have the metal part sticking into the inside, if you know what I mean. 8 More vertical/horizontal bunker tiles.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:45 pm

These are really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, good :-P

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:01 am

numgun wrote:
My only complaint is the landing beacon light. My suggestion make it function as a normal light.

I looked into that method, and it didn't have good result, mainly due to the performance hit, but also due to the ugly look that resulted from the way glows are handled. Not to mention, during playtesting, the beacon would frequently get covered up and therefore become worthless.

numgun wrote:
Also breakable stuff like storage crates, barrels and other objects like that, which we can interact with or use as dynamic cover. BlipFlips gravity gun could be used to move them if wanted.

Honestly, I don't think the game needs that. Assuming you could prevent it from being switched to terrain, why would you need a breakable object when you have shootable terrain?

Aspect wrote:
These really are great, but when using them on longer stretches they start to look repetitive. You should add a piece that doesnt have the little indents on the outside and dont have the metal part sticking into the inside, if you know what I mean. 8 More vertical/horizontal bunker tiles.

I've looked into that before, and while it did lessen repetition, it also made the object list become ungainly long (which is something I want to avoid at all costs - this pack was made to be mousewheel item-scrolling friendly).

Oh, and I'm sorry for not mentioning it before, but I'm currently in a full-time career training program, which sadly gives me no time to work on the mod. It's not dead - I promise - but I can't actively work on it until I'm done.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next