View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:24 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 (WIP) Faction: Lizard Men (UPDATED) 8/20/2008 

Post Re: (WIP) Faction: Lizard Men (UPDATED) 8/20/2008
Clunky metal ship sounds nice. I'm picturing it kinda thrown-together from spare parts.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:21 pm

Geti wrote:
ahkay, good to hear.
didnt read the 7 pages, my bad.

anyway, for the ships, it would work if they were precoded. like you had a heavy ship, scout ship, whatever else. then you could have the ship shoot the attachables off itself (give them really low gibimpulselimit) when you hit down or something and the attachables gib actors. and make the ship just not be able to deliver other things i suppose.
that or be conventional XD

It's all good. It was a separate topic I made that led me to the deformable sprites. Even if you read the 7 pages I don't think you would have found that I was using them.

I was thinking that the ship would deliver things normally but have the attachable guys as just a bonus. For looks. When you shot the attachables they would gib dead lizards. This way it would give the illusion that you shot the guy and he fell of the ship.

Also the drop pod and rocket sprites I am using. Made by Roon3

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Location: Behind a DarKlone, trying to pierce its fudging armor!
Those look great, more of a hive-ish buggy kind of concoction, doesn't say much Lizard to me. Then again, I'm still unsure of their background and what kind of technology they're using.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:42 pm

I edited this one to have less green. How does it look?

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Looks a bit more streamline, if that's possible with that sort of thing. I think that was a good change.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 pm

Can a dropship have more than one point from which the cargo unloads? i know a rocket does, but a dropship in that shape (with a hatch on either side of the chassis) would need to:

1 - be able to drop on both sides

2 - have the drop-hatches far enough from the engines to avoid cremating troops on the way out

3 - possibly be able to touch the land and balance in place while troops unload from both sides. (unless you see it just flying over rather than actually landing). If it were to land, it looks so top-heavy that balance would be a big issue.

it's a more complex design than most dropships with a single door, and there is a big added risk of the engines burning the soldiers as they make their appearance.

The engines problem could be solved by making it a wider design, where the arms that house the boosters would be too far away from the door (or too high above) to really be a threat to unloading passengers.

As for a drop pod:

a drop pod could be similar to an egg (just to sort of show this race's reverence for the shape) but to be more of a battle-reinforced hamster-ball that, when it gibs, it reveals the troop inside a sphere with four firing slits (that the lizardman can crawl through easily)

It would change the whole game of the drop pod i think because it would actually protect the passenger both before and after landing.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:36 am
Profile WWW

If I made the Dropship a Rocket then it would solve the landing and unloading on both sides very easily. Plus I wouldn't have to mess with the door offset or anything like that.

I think I might try to redesign a new one based of your art and Roon's sprite. I have some good ideas now that I have a base to work off of.

As for the drop pod. I'm not sure I understand what your saying. You want it to be a ball that gibs a ball with the lizard inside?

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:14 am

yes, do make the ship with an ACRocket, and then make it hover with attached emitters. then make it go up and down and side to side with extra emmisions. :D
also you can stop actors from being burned with hitsmos = 0 and getshitbymos = 0, which is much safer anyway. or just eject them less forcefully.

and you can explain it with rotors, and make the particles invisible. unless you want burners anyway, then ignore me XD
also isnt that what a drop pod is? a thing that falls and gibs and when it gibs the actors inside come out?

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:29 am
Profile WWW

What I think Allen tried to explain was a drop pod within a drop pod. The pod falls and gibs to reveal a second pod. This second pod has the actor inside of it.

I prefer burners to rotors. I'll design it in a way so that the actors don't get burned on the way out.

Longer arms holding the engines. I might make it eject them in a downward direction. I've notice that actors ejected from dropships tend to fire a small jetpack burst. In the case of the lizards, they will fire their burst causing them to jump right into the flames. If I add a downward ejection then it might compensate for the AI's retardation.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:03 am

Nice job on those sprites, Roon3. :grin:

Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks gotcha, snowmonster is it OK if I add some more shading too the edited version of the dropship.

Also don't make the ship a rocket, its harder too control and I'm pretty sure you can add two door spots on a ship. (check the KMF pack by No 0ne)

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:09 pm
Profile WWW

When words fail...

Attachment:
visual aid.jpg

Does this make sense? if it does, you're welcome to it.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:44 pm
Profile WWW

Looks like it gibbing two things, might be hard for the actor to be gibbed perfectly inside the protective shell, from what I understand.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:02 am

nah you can position gibs. and if theyre pinned mosrs, and the top one is actually an attachable attached to a pinned mosr that gibs an emmiter shooting sharp upwards particles, thats feasable. and cool :D

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:49 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

If anyone notices ( or cares ) when a ship explodes the content appear, and rarely survive the gibs.

So what about that?

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:01 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next