View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Concordance Extraction Corp. 

Post Concordance Extraction Corp.

Well known for its fleet of gigantic mining vessels known as Planet Crackers, Concordance Corp. has joined the resource war fairly late in the game due to some particularly nasty business on its flagship Ishimura.

Concordance Engineers are known to be both resourceful and brave, making them the perfect frontier unit. Their RIG armor suits allow the same level of protection as Coalition military-grade armor plating. They are trained in the usage of most firearms, maintenance tools and mining equipment.

The first wave of prospectors to the Planet is fairly poorly equipped for a prolonged engagement due to a shipping error which left the USG Hokkaido mining cruiser without a single pulse rifle but with an enormous surplus of freeze-dried corndogs. This predicament didn't stop the numerous crew from deploying onto the planet in promises of new riches. Desperation soon gave way to innovation as the CEC Engineers figured out simple tweaks that turned their run-of-the-mill tools into formidable weaponry. While still not enough to fight on the offensive, these jury-rigged weapons allowed the ground teams to hold down key locations while waiting for reinforcements from the Concordance Headquarters.

The easiest and therefore first modification widely distributed throughout the task force was the upgrade to the standard Plasma Cutter. Originally designed to chip away pieces of ore and metal, the Plasma Cutter has been fitted with an oversized power capacitor, giving it amazing piercing properties. The upgrade didn't come without a sacrifice, however, and the plasma focusing coils have been severely reduced in size, drastically decreasing the maximum range of the weapon.

One particular team was assigned to gather as much enemy weaponry as possible to aid in the defensive effort. They have found that a simple flat ring of titanium bolted over the firing port of the Force Gun, previously used to move heavy weights in orbit, allowed the gravity burst to be focused into a much thinner and more powerful beam, increasing range at the same time. This allowed the team to disarm and dismember opponents with amazing efficiency.

The last abundant tool in the Hokkaido's holds was the Remote Saw, affectionately referred to by the crew as the Ripper. The guiding electromagnets that usually keep a Ripper blade hovering several feet in front of the saw were removed to construct more oversized capacitors for the Plasma Cutters being issued at the time. Surprisingly, this removal, coupled with the substandard materials used to manufacture Ripper blades made it into a powerful area denial weapon. A blade is fired at any flat surface, where it becomes lodged. A small internal power supply then keeps the blade rotating at over four times the regulation speed for up to 5 seconds. The alloy it is made of begins to deteriorate and shed sharp fragments and sparks a short distance from the blade. If the blade is shot, collided with or otherwise tampered with during that time, the spin becomes unbalanced and causes the blade to break apart at high speeds, flinging several pieces of itself far away. Some veteran CEC engineers have used this imperfection to clear enemy bunkers. All it took was two blades lodged in the wall close enough that the sparks and fragments of one would interfere with the other, quickly causing a complete breakdown of both blades in a rain of deadly shrapnel. Additionally, as a final failsafe, each modified Ripper contains an extra blade that is only activated when case sensors detect an irreparable breakdown. This has enabled Rippers to be used as bait for unsuspecting enemy soldiers with gruesome consequences.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE

Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
Post Re: Concordance Extraction Corp.
I don't much like the sprites, but the weapons sound interesting enough.

I'll take a look and tell you what I think.

UPDATE: Ah, I didn't notice from the pictures, the actor is a heavy soldier with a new mask. This is not good.

Regarding the weapons: The Ripper is the best of the bunch here. The Plasma Cutter is a dummy nailgun resprite, and the force gun fires a short burst of... Force.

Anyways, I'd say there's potential in the Ripper, which is a very interesting idea and what I had the most fun with. The other weapons bordered in useless to already in the game. :P

If you make yourself a good actor, and get a few more interesting weapon ideas like the ripper, you would have a good mod here. As it is, I think it needs work.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:14 pm

Well, I got the idea to make the whole shebang from the Dummy Nailgun. It was one of those "Hmm, what other yellow pistol that fires glowing rounds does this remind me of?" moments, and it just snowballed from there. As for the actor, I really am not too good at spriting detailed stuff like actor limbs, so I tried to make one look like a CEC engineer with minimum modification to those parts (I still think the helmet and faceplate turned out pretty bitchin' :P)

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:34 pm
Profile WWW

Eh. I won't condemn this mod because I myself probably couldn't make a mod, but it doesn't look too entertaining. The head resprite of the Coalition soldier was a little iffy, not to mention all the weapons seem to be Dummy faction. On the plus side, everything you made works, and you already seem to have a bit of an intro for a potential faction. :hat:

Keep it up, every modder has their humble beginnings.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:57 pm
Profile YIM

This is a terrible, terrible mod. But since it's your first I think you should be directed towards ways of improving it. The first thing is the sprites. The actor is a Coalition guy with a badly sprited head, and the gun has no shading at all. Second, the use of the term "faction". Don't start one unless you have at least a few polished things in it. Third, there's no third. I haven't tested yet :P

But still, this looks quite expendable, and the intro is awesome. Betcha can turn this into something sweet.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Dead Space, much?

Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:40 pm

I imagine it'll look better once the rest of the RIG is finished, although the head is probably a bit big. Any plans to make all of the RIG suits and weapons? :)

Also, given that CC is sideview, I'd suggest making the 'Cutter work in horiz mode, or at least strongly recommend adding that functionality once alternate fire modes become a possibility. Be awesome if it had blue aimlines too, no?

Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:13 pm
Profile YIM

Azukki is already doing Dead Space actors:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=12534

Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:50 pm

Welp, and there I was thinking I had an original idea for once. Thread's over.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:36 pm
Profile WWW

I will probably resprite these and upload and if someone wants to help him out with coding then we could have something pretty neat. His ideas are interesting.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 am

I wouldn't be opposed to that in the least.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:57 am
Profile WWW

Maybe you could team up with Azukki? No need to give up your dreams of a CEC faction with your name on it just yet. ;)

Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:34 am
Profile YIM

sprites are a major let-down. Weapons included, you need more shading.

No DL.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:39 am

I didn't exactly stab a flag into dead space and bellow my claim to it at the top of my lungs for the world to hear.
Do what you like with the idea; it wouldn't have been an original idea anyway; it's EA's idea.
I'm not even sure if my dead space stuff will be it's own mod; it's probably just going to be some DS inspired stuff in Shadow Echelon.

So don't let my starting first on the idea dissuade you from continuing this mod. But rather, let the following.

Your ripper, in function, is pretty cool. The other weapons and the actor aren't special, interesting, or even good though.
I don't like the spriting for this. Only the ripper should be orange, if I remember correctly, and if you were going for an Isaac-esque look for the engineer, you completely failed it, because it's only a minor heavy soldier edit, and the small bits of spriting you did change don't include his iconic ribbing or multiple visors.

Arcalane wrote:
team up with Azukki?
Not happening. I'm not the collaborating type of guy.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:58 am

I would like to see some of the aforementioned corndogs, good sir. Weaponized junkfood would be a welcome addition to my arsenal.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:48 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next