View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Old Ones: Extraspatial Invaders 

Post Re: The Old Ones: Extraspatial Invaders
The actors aren't retina searing, so I am not too much bothered by them. It would be better if they reflected something else humanoid from that era though. I'm not too well versed in those games, so I can't supply any specific suggestions. Maybe the avatar from Ultima I? (Although that's a frontal view)

Last edited by undertech on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:34 pm

The actors need work, but the effects from the guns are some of the best I've ever seen!

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:37 pm

Ideas (I forgot to unzip the rte, but here's what I see when I look at the pics):
  • You had a good thing going there with Space Invaders and the turret, but the actors and their weapons sorta ruined the look. Possible things you should add:
    • Asteroids Space ship. I mean, how awesome would that be? Make it an actor of course and you get around by jetting.
    • Asteroid caller. Similar to the Orbital Garbage Dump mod which I seem to have lost track of. It uses the same bomb principal as Numgun's Ypsilon Cannon. Asteroids rain down from the sky simply (no, I don't expect it from you, just a suggestion)
    • Maybe (if possible) a bouncing pong bomb that bounces around with those pathetic physics and blows up after a little bit.
  • I think that you should try to stick with things that were established in that era kinda. Heck, maybe even a Missile command bomb (HECK THAT WOULD BE AWESOME).
Yeah, post isn't very organized, but heck, I just woke up a little while ago. This is my untested review.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:45 pm

Ultric wrote:
Ideas (I forgot to unzip the rte, but here's what I see when I look at the pics):
  • You had a good thing going there with Space Invaders and the turret, but the actors and their weapons sorta ruined the look. Possible things you should add:
    • Asteroids Space ship. I mean, how awesome would that be? Make it an actor of course and you get around by jetting.
    • Asteroid caller. Similar to the Orbital Garbage Dump mod which I seem to have lost track of. It uses the same bomb principal as Numgun's Ypsilon Cannon. Asteroids rain down from the sky simply (no, I don't expect it from you, just a suggestion)
    • Maybe (if possible) a bouncing pong bomb that bounces around with those pathetic physics and blows up after a little bit.
  • I think that you should try to stick with things that were established in that era kinda. Heck, maybe even a Missile command bomb (HECK THAT WOULD BE AWESOME).
Yeah, post isn't very organized, but heck, I just woke up a little while ago. This is my untested review.

You're turning this into an arcade games mod? Sounds good to me.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:44 pm

dracura wrote:
Marloss, you've gotta be young if you don't have an instant nostalgic attraction to the theme here.
This is brilliant, Comment. Simply freakin' genius.
i know ive played at least one of these, but what i want is even a little bit of color, at my opinion those look like huge lifeless blobs of pixels, wich i presume they were back out in the old days, but i still recall these had some simple colours on them.. even thou, i must admit that i havent even tested this.. might even do it.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:52 pm

Classic.
I love the old games.

DL'd.
It's a cool homage to the old games in the past.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Instant classic...
Dl'ed, tested..
I wuv it!

Needs a PACMAN TANK!

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:56 pm

NICE!i!

Ill test this later

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Very fun overall. ^^ I like how the riftfire missiles airburst, but they just don't pack much punch compared to the other two guns. More damage/particles/lifetime would be cool... or something fancier, you seem to have a good idea what you're doing. Also the gate guys chain explode in groups, but not much you can do about that I guess. Also, just a personal suggestion... maybe the riftfire guys could bleed out those riftfire particles or something, to offset how they eventually die after taking any damage?

Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:38 am

Solace wrote:
Very fun overall. ^^ I like how the riftfire missiles airburst, but they just don't pack much punch compared to the other two guns. More damage/particles/lifetime would be cool... or something fancier, you seem to have a good idea what you're doing. Also the gate guys chain explode in groups, but not much you can do about that I guess. Also, just a personal suggestion... maybe the riftfire guys could bleed out those riftfire particles or something, to offset how they eventually die after taking any damage?

The Riftblazes gib into riftfire. I don't expect anyone to know that unless they're told so, since you usually die of a wound before you get hit enough to gib. I don't think having them bleed riftfire would be that great: As likely as not, it would just wound you more without touching your enemies. I could tone down the rate at which they lose health, though. As is, it's pretty fast.

I'd like more detail on a couple of comments that seem to pop up a lot. First, what precisely is the problem with the riftfire launcher? I can get one-hit kills on Dreadnoughts with it if I get a direct hit or get the explosive to go off right above them. I know that by its nature the damage is random, I just wanted to see if your problems were a matter of tricky use or some deeper problem.

Second, how exactly can I improve the sprites? I don't want to turn this into the Atari Faction, I just want to have an art style that's reminiscent of retro games. Am I being too detailed, not detailed enough, too shapeless, too defined?

Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:55 am

Hey guys, remember when you gave system h all that crap about his sprites not "fitting in"?
Fudge Hippocrits.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:29 am

Well, I dunno, I just never can seem to do much damage with the riftfire. While the pixel gun tears up anything without uber armor and the gate opener, well, does the same, direct hits with the missiles don't do any damage half the time, and even when it does it just doesn't kill stuff as fast as either of the two other guns. Dunno what else to say.*

As far as the concept, I like it, it reminds me of an old book I once read (called save the earth or something) where the main character was protecting aliens trapped in a video game from the other players, and the space invaders make a cameo as an ancient and powerful (but low resolution) race wiped out by humanity.

As far as the art goes... I like how the riftfire guys have stark white armor with stark black underneath, usually when armor gets knocked off it can be hard to tell, and they kinda look like space-knights. The other two, though, I'm just not really feeling... the gate openers are nice and low rez, which I think works well, but the seekers just don't exactly seem to fit... maybe it'd help if you added in another color or two? Maybe give them four colors, white, light grey, dark grey, and black (or shades of green). Still old, but you can add detail with more than outlines.

- Oh, and I did notice the riftfire guys shoot out some of the riftfire when they die, but it's not much so I thought it was ascetic. :P Against the vinilla weapons it's rather hard to hurt the riftfire guys so I often have them bleeding out from 90 hp...

*EDIT: Did some more testing of the weapons, and... the pixel gun kills single enemies faster, and the gate opener kills groups more accurately. The riftfire launcher is cool and flavorful, just unfortunately not useful.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:35 am

Whoa you just blew my mind:D.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:33 am

Epic win. Anyone who doesn't like this mod is a gargantuan failure who should be shot through the eye and beaten with a camel hammer. Instant DL. I'm loving the Riftfire launcher :D It shows some really nice effects, as does the gate opener.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:51 am
Banned

Worst.
Spriting.
Ever.

Seriously. How can you guys complement this spriting? The only thing that looks half decent is the DS, and that was just a copy of the Space Invaders unit.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:45 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next