View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Old Ones: Extraspatial Invaders 

Post Re: The Old Ones: Extraspatial Invaders
ProjektODIN wrote:
Worst.
Spriting.
Ever.

Seriously. How can you guys complement this spriting? The only thing that looks half decent is the DS, and that was just a copy of the Space Invaders unit.

Sarcasm is hard to detect. Care to define your real idea?
Personally I think he captured the retro feel perfectly.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:08 pm

"What, were you expecting Lovecraft?"
Honestly, yes, and I was getting ready to flame the living ♥♥♥♥ out of you for defiling his glorious racist chauvinistic name. (he was back in old England after all)
But this is brilliant!
Well done good sir, top notch. *tips hat*

Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:28 am

ProjektODIN wrote:
Worst.
Spriting.
Ever.

Seriously. How can you guys complement this spriting? The only thing that looks half decent is the DS, and that was just a copy of the Space Invaders unit.

Agreed, this has ok gameplay, but sprites DO NOT "fit in". I'm glad someone else agrees.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:59 am

Erm, I hope you realise that it's not SUPPOSED to fit in, these are (directly or imitating) sprites from old games.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:01 am

Hey, I have a fantastic idea, let's not get onto this discussion of whether or not these sprites fit in, and not bring up the whole "omg you said systemh not fit in, but this guy doesn't either." Please? It'll avoid lots of flaming, and a mod that shows promise, even if the sprites may be a tad lackluster. Besides, it doesn't look like he's going to take this all the way. And here's some quotes!
Comment wrote:
Foa, I don't specifically plan on doing more Space Invaders or other retro game stuff. They really don't fit into Cortex Command... The style covers for my terrible spriting ability while I try to make something that's functionally different.
(From page 2, post 13)

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Solace wrote:

As far as the concept, I like it, it reminds me of an old book I once read (called save the earth or something) where the main character was protecting aliens trapped in a video game from the other players, and the space invaders make a cameo as an ancient and powerful (but low resolution) race wiped out by humanity.

This one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_You_Can_Save_Mankind
That's a blast from the past... I loved it when I read it

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:22 pm

That book was so good.
Also that book where they get sucked into a video game with little black figures (actually black, not negro black) who they shot a bunch.
That was funky.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:35 pm
Banned

I can't be more any more concise, Ultric. Those spirtes are the ugliest things ever--and they definitely don't make me feel "retro-y."

They make me feel like I'm playing a mod created by a terrible spriter. There's no other way of saying it.

Actually, I'd like you guys to explain what makes the sprites so good.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:26 pm

The sprites aren't /good/ per se, but they are a clever new idea that happens to work really well both in the nostalgia area and the way CC plays.

The story behind these is sort of like "all the old arcade games like Space Invaders and stuff were really depictions of alien battles and not just pixelly nonsense", and it's fun, funny, and interesting.

Plus, the mod's mechanics are very good. See: the awesome way the units "bleed" looking like parts of their pixels are dissolving away into their own universe.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:45 pm

Yeah, that's the one... this mod carries the vibe from the book perfectly.

ProjektODIN wrote:
Actually, I'd like you guys to explain what makes the sprites so good.

Actually, aside from the dropship (which is majorly nostalgic), the sprites (actors/guns) really aren't that good... but the effects (shots/damage) are awesome. Which is really odd, and probably why most people are having this problem.

EDIT: Maybe give them simple "shells" outside, which easily break away to somewhat more complex insides? Dunno what you can do with the guns, though...

EDIT2: Can you animate guns? Like, give permanent little licks of riftfire around the riftfire gun, little minigates opening around the gate opener? Then you could have simple guns but still have them look extradimensional.

BIGMAJOREDIT3:
NeoSeeker wrote:
It still doesn't fudge go with CC because CC's combat is placed in a real universe, not virtual reality.
TheLastBanana wrote:
The mod is here as a tribute to space invaders and other retro games and isn't supposed to look like CC's style.

Actually, if he's serious about them being extradimensional beings that just happen to look like space invaders, it fits perfectly well with CC's ultra-sci-fi. Extradimensional beings are supposed to look weird because they're trying to cram the way life evolved in their universe into our set of physical laws; who knows if they have matter there, let alone anything like our bodies! So simplified facimilies might be all they can wrap their heads around, even with scary-advanced tech.

Last edited by Solace on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:24 am, edited 6 times in total.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:15 am

-- doublepost, not sure how to delete.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:16 am

you guys don't know when to ♥♥♥♥ detect laziness disguised as "style"

this is ♥♥♥♥ ugly, and could have been done better even in this shitty style.

darwinia looked so much better than this ♥♥♥♥, and what made darwinia look good can be replicated on CC in a less quality. it still doesn't ♥♥♥♥ go with CC because CC's combat is placed in a real universe, not virtual reality.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:01 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Okay everyone, let's all calm down and have a nice cool drink.
The mod is here as a tribute to space invaders and other retro games and isn't supposed to look like CC's style.
He said that he's improving the sprites, so giving him suggestions and not just sitting around and shouting "♥♥♥♥" would be useful.
Please stop flaming, thank you.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:11 am
Profile WWW

NeoSeeker wrote:
you guys don't know when to ♥♥♥♥ detect laziness disguised as "style"

this is ♥♥♥♥ ugly, and could have been done better even in this shitty style.

darwinia looked so much better than this ♥♥♥♥, and what made darwinia look good can be replicated on CC in a less quality. it still doesn't ♥♥♥♥ go with CC because CC's combat is placed in a real universe, not virtual reality.

READ THE ♥♥♥♥ THREAD.

OP SAID HE CANT SPRITE WORTH ♥♥♥♥

JESUS ♥♥♥♥ CHRIST COULD YOU BE ANY DENSE

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:42 am
Profile WWW

On that note, I'm not entirely sure where to go with the sprites at the moment. I get a post of praise for the nostalgic feel, followed by vitriol for the white blobs I'm trying to shill on you guys. Just so's you know, I completely agree with anyone who says the sprites look bad. The problem is that I don't know what elements people like and what could be refined: It's just "I like" or "I no like" with few specific elements clearly pointed out. Give me examples where I trip up, or things in the old style that you'd like me to learn from.

Unless you're saying that it's all bad, in which case I've got a lot more work to do.

I'm working on some new content, might be up by Friday, but it's still all going to be at the same low level of detail. Maybe in the future I'll add shades of grey, as was suggested: That should allow for a bit more complexity of design.

Also: Allcaps does not win debates, and I would appreciate if you guys refrain from going that route. I do not need to be defended.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:46 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next