View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:51 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Invisibility Cloak 

Post Invisibility Cloak
Not much point to it, but I don't think it's been done before (haven't seen it and didn't turn up in a search). Disclaimers: Does not double wield well. Only works when facing right. Does not make jetpack glows invisible. Find it under shields.

Lack of pic: Image

Attachments:
Cloak.rte.rar [5.91 KiB]
Downloaded 492 times
Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:58 pm

Post Re: Invisibility Cloak
awesome am downing right now as we speak

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Location: In between your sister's legs, showing her how to use a... PS3 controller!
Sounds infinitely good, but fix the face-right only bug that you mentioned plz.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:44 pm

I vaguely remember something similar to this. It's caused by an engine bug and causes crashes or something. which is why it only works in one direction.

also the AI sees right through it.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:59 pm
Profile WWW

Drone_Fragger wrote:
I vaguely remember something similar to this. It's caused by an engine bug and causes crashes or something. which is why it only works in one direction.

also the AI sees right through it.

Literally? Or does it just not fool them?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Yeah, it's just a bug, but I don't remember anyone using it on purpose, so... there it is. :P And, I dunno, it might work on dropships or something that can only face one way... just getting the idea out there.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:15 pm

If it weren't for attachables colliding the same way an actor's core does, real invisibility would be possible.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:45 pm

Hmm... Let me see... It's a shield roughly the size of an actor with an off-pallete sprite, which causes the game engine to fail processing any movable graphics around it when facing one specific direction. Am I right?

Well, it's as they say: It's not a bug, it's a feature. :)
...Too bad that using off-pallete stuff for too long usually causes the game to crash.

As a suggestion, I say that you could put on it an AEmitter set to emit short-lived actors with very high Charheights, as that might make the AI miss when shooting at you.
Nice idea turning it into a mod, now you just need to find a way to make it work when you are not facing right.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:36 am
Profile WWW

Solace wrote:
Not much point to it, but I don't think it's been done before (haven't seen it and didn't turn up in a search).

Actually, I've seen files for "Cloaking fields" in both Darkstorm and DS Tech...

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:36 am
Profile WWW

I seem to remember there being much less glitchy exploits for invisibility. No download, sounds... useless. AI can still see you and humans just look for the '100 health' floating in the air.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:47 am

Exalion wrote:
No download

'k, I'd just like to get this out in the open. I don't care if you didn't download something, if I made it or if anyone else did. If it wasn't intriguing enough to download your lack of action shouldn't be worth a post.

Mainly I see the use for this as, oh, I dunno, add it to a dropship or a turret, or as part of a mission, where destroying some generator(attached on an attachement) takes down the field. It could also disguise the exact actor/weapon you're using.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:19 am

Just sweet. Don't know how you did it, just amazing.
Top points to creator for me never seeing something like this in CC.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:58 am

Someone made this before on accident, if you've still got the right facing only, it's nothing new at all.

It works by exploiting the utter confusion the game has when faced with a blank unpaletted sprite. It ends up masking everything below it, surprisingly, but then when it flips the sprite, it redoes the 'rendering', and makes the brown lines.
Because of the flip problem, it's clearly not suitable for this use.

If you could find a way to make it work while facing leftward, then it would be worth it. I couldn't. Best of luck to anyone trying.
Off the HUD would make it awesome, but you can't. (Although you could use actors that show no HUD)
If you could make it in a circular shape too, that would just be bitchin'. But you can't.

DL'd just to be sure, and yeah. Same as the old thing. But a bigger 'field'.
I'm not saying you copied them, I'll believe you that you thought it was new. I'm just saying though, it isn't.

Last edited by Azukki on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:51 am

*shrug

If I thought it was practical in this form I'd have put it in one of my "real" mods, I was just kinda pointing it out 'cause I've heard some people mentioning wanting stealth and whatnot.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:57 am

Solace wrote:
Exalion wrote:
No download

'k, I'd just like to get this out in the open. I don't care if you didn't download something, if I made it or if anyone else did. If it wasn't intriguing enough to download your lack of action shouldn't be worth a post.

Mainly I see the use for this as, oh, I dunno, add it to a dropship or a turret, or as part of a mission, where destroying some generator(attached on an attachement) takes down the field. It could also disguise the exact actor/weapon you're using.

Apologies, I only meant 'no download' as in 'I have not deemed this mod worth using because (constructive criticism)'
Everyone else is ok with these expressions, so chill.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:57 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next