View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:43 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dreaded Faction 

Post Dreaded Faction
Here is a special faction that I have started making. They are working on becoming a powerful faction, and so far, they're on the right track.

The Dreaded faction is a break off from the Coalition. Their equipment is made by a special group of scientists that have developed a special type of clone-it heals when shot. But at a price, it bleeds twice as fast.

let me now of any problems. And please-only constructive criticism.

The actor has been specially made so that when it is shot it gains health but bleeds twice as fast.

The rocket is still being worked on(yes, that includes the sprite), but it should be able to carry more.

I don't have any pics for the actor or the rocket, but the gun looks like this:

Attachments:
[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]
File comment: The gun
Dredle.rte.zip [429.25 KiB]
Downloaded 529 times
File comment: The rocket
Dread Rocket.rte.zip [1.38 MiB]
Downloaded 392 times
File comment: The actor
Drethle Soldier.rte.zip [1.26 MiB]
Downloaded 442 times

Last edited by Captain Kicktar on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:15 am

Location: In my secret cave. In Ontario South of, wait a minute!
Post Re: Dredle Gun
What does it do, I won't DL until I know. :???:

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:24 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

CortexCommander wrote:
What does it do, I won't DL until I know. :???:

A dredle... isn't that the Hanukkah/Chanukkah top thing?

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:34 am

I actually just made it up. It has a fast RoF, Longish reload time, and long sharp range. Every 3 shots it fires 3 bullets instead of 1.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:37 am

:shock:

...a completely mundane done-to-death gun?
This will revolutionize CC modding as we know it!
You'll be a household name!
You'll have merchandise and a thriving counterfeit merchandise market as well!

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:48 am

I'll be blunt; it sucks. The sprite isn't proportional with itself. It has a wide, short stock, a long barrel coupled with a ridiculously short grip that has a TRIGGER almost as big as said grip. The end of the gun barrel is hollow, for some reason... the scope is basic and just plain ugly. It looks like you tried to do some kind of weird shading without following any kind of pattern at all, which just made the gun look like it has polka dots on the damn barrel. Sounds are nothing more then a copy of the Ronin M16's. The offsets are pretty wonky as well. This definitely needs a truckload of work.

Now for the constructive part...

1: Try making your weapon sprites realistic. This looks like some kind of fusion of an SMG, a pistol, and a shotgun; nay, a Frankenstein of said weapons. If you need inspiration look at the base weapons or real weapon schematics.

2: Don't add unneeded detail, like the space at the end of the barrel. Yes, it adds variety; if it doesn't actually do anything, it shouldn't be there.

3: When you shade, follow a pattern instead of just grabbing random shades and tints of a color and plastering them over the side of the gun; shade usually comes from light refraction and reflection, which tends to be smooth and fluid. Think of gradients.

4: Try to find custom sounds, there are thousands of free ones on the internet.

5: Test your guns thoroughly.

6: Put a lot of effort into something, not 10 minutes of half-assed work that you try to release as something cool or good. Try releasing mods in factions or at least bigger packs.

7: Don't release your first few mods, just practice, practice, practice till you get decent.

8: Don't do mods that have been worked over to death. What's special about this gun? Does it have some kind of creative way of achieving its purpose? Does it shoot some kind of awesome eye-raping glow effect of lightning or flying weasels that makes the users crap their pants?

Sorry if the first part of the post came off offending, that's just my honest opinion of this mod; follow the constructive comments directly above, and maybe look at other mods for inspiration, or look at the criticism others give you.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:20 am

Understood, Ragdollmaster. By the way, I have been creating lots of stuff, but they use the classic sprites. I do plan on working on a group of robots called Psi robots.(No, no telekenisis or mindcontrol). If you would like to help with the sprites here:http://www.datarealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=13662

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:21 pm

rules are for reading-try it some time.
this mod fails. and this gun is not special at all because it fails just like the rest of inexperienced modder's mods. why? because they are inexperienced. only post your 10th mod.

off topic:
Quote:

close, but the top on chanukahis spelled Dreidel. but most people wont know that.

Quote:
Understood, Ragdollmaster. By the way, I have been creating lots of stuff, but they use the classic sprites. I do plan on working on a group of robots called Psi robots.(No, no telekenisis or mindcontrol). If you would like to help with the sprites here:http://www.datarealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=13662

want some experience in modding? try making it yourself. if your too lazy? then stop making mods!

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:41 am
Profile WWW

dapaperboy wrote:
this mod fails. and this gun is not special at all because it fails just like the rest of inexperienced modder's mods. why? because they are inexperienced. only post your 10th mod.

off topic:
Quote:

close, but the top on chanukahis spelled Dreidel. but most people wont know that.

Quote:

want some experience in modding? try making it yourself. if your too lazy? then stop making mods!

Mmmmhmmm. Okay. Now give us a link to all the mods you've submitted, oh. You can only post your 10th mod.
All your mods currently made now plox.
Oh and, Dredle gun dude, keep working. Be awesome. Make a jew faction.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:52 am

double post. ignore this.

Last edited by dapaperboy on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:11 am
Profile WWW

jewish*

and Meteormike, are you asking me to post links to my mods or are you asking Captain Kicktar (dredle gun maker)?

edit: wtf?!? how did i post twice? whatever. sorry.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:13 am
Profile WWW

dapaperboy wrote:

off topic:

So you're saying zalo doesn't have any experience modding because he doesn't sprite everything himself?

He rarely sprites anything, and when he does it's barely par for the course.*

Moral of the story? There's nothing wrong with asking for help. Actually, OP, if you really need sprites, I can ask Mombasa, he's a pretty good spriter who would be happy to sprite for you.

*I know I'm probably forgetting something, but I've remembered multiple times zalo has said he hates and/or is bad at spriting.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:45 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
So you're saying zalo doesn't have any experience modding because he doesn't sprite everything himself?

He rarely sprites anything, and when he does it's barely par for the course.*

Moral of the story? There's nothing wrong with asking for help. Actually, OP, if you really need sprites, I can ask Mombasa, he's a pretty good spriter who would be happy to sprite for you.

*I know I'm probably forgetting something, but I've remembered multiple times zalo has said he hates and/or is bad at spriting.

yes but zalo is an epic coder which makes up for the sprites. for example: The Bomb Gun by Zalo. link: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=13575
it is not the sexiest sprite out there is it? no its not. is it a very well coded mod? yes it is. i never meant to say that asking for help is bad but i know my post came off that way. sorry.

the point im trying to make here is that Captain Kicktar never said that he will code. he requested for somebody to make a sprite for him with 6 versions and never said HE was going to do anything.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 am
Profile WWW

If I wasn't going to code it, what would I do with it? Print them out and use them for a poster? :wink:

I will code it, but since I'm semi-new don't expect anything jaw dropping.

And by the way, since the minor mod compendium is locked I posted it here.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Alright- if you're going to be a blatant ♥♥♥hole by stating the obvious that the mod isn't the best out there and not help by giving some constructive comments, get out.

Cpt-Kicktar: Just keep practicing until you get good. Don't let people discourage you, everyone who's become a modder sucked when they first started. If people have nothing good to say to you, just ignore them, and look to the more experienced mods to see if you can't pick up a trick or two. Keep this in mind- it's the coding that makes a mod unique. Don't have a horrible "OMGWHATAMIGOINGTODO" episode over sprites, you will gradually get better with pixel art. Admittedly, better looking mods are appreciated a little more then those with basic sprites, but it's really just frosting on the cake- work on getting the dough done first.

If you ever get stuck at a particular point in making a mod, go here, the Mod Making sub-forum, and either use the Search function on the toolbar at the top of the page(Between FAQ and Members) to see if someone has asked the question before and had it answered, or, if that doesn't work, make a new thread about it, and someone will probably respond. Hope this helps ;)

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:25 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next