View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Gashdal's Gun 

Post Gashdal's Gun
Alright, First off, this is my first mod, so don't expect much.

Second, Most of the code is ripped from rifles.ini, with some stuff edited.

I couldn't get my custom sprite to work so i just used the cement sprayer.

Okay, Here it is:

Gashdal's Gun

So basically, I Tried to make a Gun with a huge spray that fired in bursts.

I think I hit the mark alright, though theres MUCH room for improvement.

Tell me what you guys think, If this needs to be moved to the Minor Mod Compendium so be it.

Attachments:
Gashdal.rte.rar [1.05 KiB]
Downloaded 353 times
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:01 am
happy carebear mom

Post Re: Gashdal's Gun
Gashdal wrote:
If this needs to be moved to the Minor Mod Compendium so be it.

I don't think the MMC is open anymore...

So, some advice. First off, the usual jazz about posting your first mod.
Second, it looks like your particles have too long of a LifeTime. You might want to shorten them to 2000 or 1000 or around there.

Keep working on it, but try to keep from flooding with minor mods. If you want feedback, buddy up with one or two others to give you critiques off the forum (or through PMs). Alternatively, set yourself up a faction or pack and update the pack with your developing skills, improving or removing obsolete items when necessary.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:35 am

Duh102 wrote:
Gashdal wrote:
If this needs to be moved to the Minor Mod Compendium so be it.

Second, it looks like your particles have too long of a LifeTime. You might want to shorten them to 2000 or 1000 or around there.

Thats actually what i was going for, if you mean the bullets going around the screen.

but im still not quite sure.

and the faction/pack thing, i might try that.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:39 am

tips: never post your first mod. post around your 10th mod. we dont want minor moods flooding our mod releases board (like your mod and other people's mods) when there is only a minor change. example: you only changed the coding so therefor this is a minor mod. (imo but i may be wrong)

Quote:
Alright, First off, this is my first mod, so don't expect much.

this here is a perfect example of why you dont post your first mods in the mod releases section. you just edited some code, which anybody can do. try spiriting your own guns/ships/etc and post it on mod making. read lots of tutorials and such which are provided in the mod making board.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:50 am
Profile WWW

Oh, well that makes sense.

Sorry everybody if this was a nuisance.

D:

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:53 am

dapaperboy wrote:
you just edited some code, which anybody can do.

Sorry, but I just have to point out that modifying code is all that modding is. Except for those strange people who write code from scratch.

Anyway- It needs something more. At the moment it's just a machinegun with a wide spread, and it needs something to make it different from everything else.

And it's probably best to change the sprite. Even if it's just other sprites mixed together in a frankenstine's monster.

Nevermind though. It is your first mod, everyone starts somewhere.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:16 am

^^ Pretty much what they said sums it up, BUT also , you REALLY should change the bullet offset. Right now the bullets come out from the middle of the gun, or atleast the flash does.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:17 am

Something you have to realize is that pretty much everyone has thought, "Gee, it would be awesome if I had a gun that was all 'PEWPEWPEW' at a huge ROF." Thing is, people care much more about aesthetics and practicality. The latter mostly through realistic yet creative displays of weaponry; a long range digger isn't as exciting as anti-matter rockets or a portable cluster bomb launcher or a laser that makes lots of lightning shoot out of it... not bad for a first mod, but as a general rule of thumb, don't post your first few ones, and lurk around the forums a bit to see what kind of mod quality is needed for people to like a mod and what doesn't really flow with the crowd.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:59 am

Not that great on it's own, but with a little work and some polish, it would go great in a pack!

Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:03 am

3 solid wrote:
dapaperboy wrote:
you just edited some code, which anybody can do.

Sorry, but I just have to point out that modifying code is all that modding is. Except for those strange people who write code from scratch.

Anyway- It needs something more. At the moment it's just a machinegun with a wide spread, and it needs something to make it different from everything else.

And it's probably best to change the sprite. Even if it's just other sprites mixed together in a frankenstine's monster.

Nevermind though. It is your first mod, everyone starts somewhere.

lol. point taken. but the coding was fairly basic or it looked fairly basic to me.

and im sorry Gashdal for being an ass. i do admit i was a bit hard on you. and like Ragdollmaster said, lurk around, alot. it will help if you looking at the other modder's mods and see how they do it. then ask questions and you know where im going to.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:28 am
Profile WWW

Ragdollmaster wrote:
Something you have to realize is that pretty much everyone has thought, "Gee, it would be awesome if I had a gun that was all 'PEWPEWPEW' at a huge ROF." Thing is, people care much more about aesthetics and practicality. The latter mostly through realistic yet creative displays of weaponry; a long range digger isn't as exciting as anti-matter rockets or a portable cluster bomb launcher or a laser that makes lots of lightning shoot out of it... not bad for a first mod, but as a general rule of thumb, don't post your first few ones, and lurk around the forums a bit to see what kind of mod quality is needed for people to like a mod and what doesn't really flow with the crowd.

You forgot about innovation.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:09 am

Gashdal wrote:

atleast he was honest and did not try to say this is my super mod.
well Gashdal you can do a lot of improvments.
first of all try to keep it original(sprites/codes)
alternaly try to go for the lol(see The awesome Rapid-Fire Blunderbuss Launcher - Deluxe Edition mod) give it a whachy name and funny sprites and releace it(it will not be realy sucessfull but atleast the flaming will not be present)
thirdly try to see how other mods work and do some beta testing with your weapons(if you want you can rip parts of code but you will have to ask permission from the creator of the mod)

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:07 am
Forum Moderator

striker121 wrote:
^^ Pretty much what they said sums it up, BUT also , you REALLY should change the bullet offset. Right now the bullets come out from the middle of the gun, or atleast the flash does.

I agree, this is a perfect time to learn offsets, you will love yourself later. Trust me

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:54 am

alright, thanks for the mostly-constructive criticism, I'll work on it.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]