View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Spartan Rocket - finished 

Post Spartan Rocket - finished
Attachment:
[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Attachment:
[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

i'm gonna call this one finished now.
i had a sprite of mine lying around unused, so i made it into a quick rocket mod. i decided to go with a weapon that activated with the opening of the egress hatch.

Attachment:
File comment: inb4 'this is spartaa.'
Spartan Rocket M2.rar [1.55 MiB]
Downloaded 4163 times

this vehicle's main attraction is the ability to quickly and thoroughly sweep away enemy opposition near the landing site. when the hatch is opened for troop deployment, the spartan's main engine core vents excess fuel through the afterburners and out special exhaust ports along the bottom of the fuselage, incinerating everything in a fair radius. the afterburners carry enough fuel surplus to do this three times in succession. use caution: because of the archaic chemical-burning engine this rocket uses, it is a highly volatile contraption. improper handling may result in loss of units and a rather unpleasant inferno. do not vent afterburners in confined spaces.

known bugs:
--the AI will deliver the cargo on auto, but there's this curious delay. i've tried a multitude of variations, yet this still vexes me.
--using the engine purge weapon while the rocket is toppled on its side will not act as one might expect--the fire instead emerges trapped beneath the body of the rocket. to circumvent this, scuttle the craft instead.

thanks to Thanatos--he requested a sprite, but this one didn't fit his purposes (i think it was too big.. whoops); this serendipity resulted in a quick mod.
also, thanks to Casey for sparking what would become my idea for the engine purge weapon.

Last edited by systmh on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:13 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Spartan Rocket - WIP
Well, it's a bloody brilliant sprite as always. I don't see any way you could improve it, because it doesn't need improving in my opinion.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:30 pm

Give it autofiring nose guns, that would make it even more awesome. Fighter jet rockets... WIN!!

Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:35 pm

You should make^ with an emmitter with low lifetime particles, so it's not uber rape for the terrain under it.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:07 pm

I just got a cool idea. You know how rockets are a little hard to control when flown horizontally? Well, could you make the belly thursters point down, so that the rocket could actually go up and down while it's flying on it's belly side down? This would give it more control and it might actually be able to hover.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:11 pm
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE

Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
Looks nice n' all, and I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but if it's a WIP, it should have gone in mod making.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Make it into a missile.
As in, making it's doors eject cargo ridiculously slowly and give it explosive gibs.
With the purpose of loading it with grenades and smashing it into things at high speed.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:09 pm

Location: Behind a DarKlone, trying to pierce its fudging armor!
You're one of my favorite new modders. I think you need to make a whole pack now with your own, heavy industrial themed robots (non mega-metal) with a bunker-module that has a landing pad up top, large heavy doors with emitters for smoke/steam, and just go crazy with it.

You're doing excellent so far, all of your ideas are very original.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:59 pm

looks really good as always.

suggestion: make a spartan rocket launcher

Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:18 pm

omg this is so cool, your sprites are so unique im gonna download all of your mods just for the art
3 thumbs up

Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:32 pm

Could you make some attachables on the side that break off when you reach a certain speed? Then you could fly by the enemy's base and watch some pieces of metal drill in.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:37 pm

Dauss wrote:
if it's a WIP, it should have gone in mod making.

Quote:
This forum is for posting MODS ONLY, including WIPs.

Once again, your spriting skillz are brilliant. Shame there's nothing special about the rocket.. (apart from it being tall XP)

Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:16 pm

FUDGE EPIC.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:25 pm

tendrop - hmm... i'll think about it. mmmmayyybe...

bbbzzz234 - terrain rape? huh. on my machine, it barely churns up sand. i wonder if i uploaded it with a misplaced sharpness value or something? sorry about that.

jazoo - hmmm... interesting idea. i could make a rocket that has a sideways sprite, and just switch the thrusters around so that it flies sideways, but it would only go in one direction since rockets don't flip when they move back and forth. if i used a rocket in the normal orientation, i could make side thrusters that were perfectly mounted on the fulcrum and had enough power to hover the rocket, but then they wouldn't be able to tip it sideways to begin with, only push it sideways in the vertical arrangement. i dunno. i'll see if i can figure something out.

dauss - damn, you're right. my mistake, i didn't know that WIPs went in there. i'll definitely do that next time. edit: actually, 3 solid mentioned WIPs were alright in this forum. well, maybe i'll put my next wip in mod making anyway, since it is a little more appropriate.

metal chao - heh, i'm probably gonna do something along these lines. i was thinking about using AddInventory to pre-load it with a bunch of non-Buyable little cluster missiles which had emitters attached to them for thrust and a preset AngularVel so that they'd launch out of the main body and arc down as they flew. then blow up of course. and then i'd give the main rocket some heavy explosives for a grand finale.

ppiksmada - hey, thanks man. yeah, when i do get around to making my bunkermodule pack it's definitely going to be leaking steam all over the place. and have little animated assembly lines in the backgrounds. i'll figure out a way. oh, and i'll never use mega metal--to make my guys more resilient, i'd rather up the GibWoundLimit and reduce the BurstDamage on custom wounds.

genetic - thanks, i'm glad you like it :D

fringie - heh heh. like a shoulder-mounted one that a dummy could use? awesome.

sixteen - hmm... i don't think that acceleration and deceleration of the parent body can actually trigger the GibImpulseLimit of attachables (aside from complete deceleration by hitting a solid object, of course.) i can't think of another way to make attachables become not-so-attached due to the velocity of the parent (er, to be technical, the acceleration of the parent.) i could make it so that the player could just deploy some by either opening the hatch in mid-flight, hitting one of the thrusters or scuttling the ship though. my idea in the reply to metalchao might have something of the sort.

3 solid - yeah, nothing special about it at the moment. but there will be... i'll make it do something cool, i just dunno what yet ;)

Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:38 pm
Profile WWW

Isn't there a gibimpulse variable?

Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:41 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next