View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:17 am



Reply to topic  [ 10202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681  Next
 World Reader 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12286
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
> Timescript. Make sure to get a blast cage into Aphelia in the meantime with Ingret's help. Maybe test those out with some light magic explosions?
Oh, and test the mechanics for rapid yoink-unyoinking to move stuff to the other side of walls or things like that.


~

Back at UC, you manage to get a blast cage built by Oliver and William and yoink it into Aphelia. It's perfectly suitable for grenades and anti-personnel mines, but you don't want to detonate artillery shells or anti-tank mines in it.

As far as yoinking goes, you definitely can't do it fast enough to move a mine to the other side of a wall. Not only does your limited range of 2 meters make it risky, but the operation takes roughly half a second - useless against any traps that are supposed to trigger more or less immediately.


[Make other preparations...]
[Time skip: To the EXPEDITION]
7420-04-09 Tuesday


Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:55 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
> Well we can play it by ear. Grenades and the wire part of tripwires might be fine.
Skipedition.


Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:13 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12286
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are Isabelle Opal, often referred to as Bezel by your friends in Darson.

The front door to the condo opens and closes, followed by the familiar call of your cousin.

Ellen: "I'm HOOOOoooome!"


It's been about a month since your boyfriend left for the UEN expedition, and Ellen enters the room and flops onto your bed while you're trying to study.

Ellen: "Hhhhhuuuuuuuuuu."


You've been trying not to worry in the meantime, spending your efforts on preparing for your upcoming entrance exam and having your vision turn blurry from your glasses being pushed out of alignment as Ellen hugs you enthusiastically from behind.


Ellen: "It's Friday! Let's go out to eat!"


[Okay...]
[I have to study...]
7420-05-03 Friday
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:13 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"I have to study.

...but I suppose I've been good. Rest is important too."


Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12286
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TorrentHKU wrote:
"I have to study.

...but I suppose I've been good. Rest is important too."


Ellen: "Yay! Lemme go get changed, and then we'll hit up that chirop restaurant."

~ "I guess I am out of the canned bugs, couldn't hurt to eat out more often."

Ellen: "Heheh."

Ellen leaves the room, and you walk over to the standing mirror and take a look at yourself.


Tank top, shorts, messy hair. At least the dark shadows from under your eyes are gone, thanks to a regular sleep schedule. Ralph would be proud!


Anyways, you should probably change into something nicer.

[White button-down dress shirt and black pants, the work uniform calls!]
[White button-down blouse with orange tshirt under, and jeans, your classic casual!]
[Other]
7420-05-03 Friday
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:26 pm
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
> Looking good can be nice once in a while, go for the work look.


Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12286
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TorrentHKU wrote:
> Looking good can be nice once in a while, go for the work look.


You change into your work clothes, minus the labcoat, and head to the bathroom to get your hair looking a bit tidier with a brush and some water.

As you work the occasional tangles out of your hair, you can't help but feel a little pride in its length, finally recovered after that fiery explosion incident down in the laserbird witchlands.

With your hair in order, you tie it into a tidy bun and wait downstairs for Ellen. When she descends the stairs, you see her wearing a green summer dress with a white capelet overtop. She has an amused smirk when she sees you.

Ellen: "Ah, my escort is waiting for me."

~ "Worry not, ma'am, I shall ensure your outing is safe from hoodlums and highwaymen alike."

Ellen: "Wonderful! May you perhaps join in on the dining as well? Surely it isn't so dangerous that you cannot enjoy the night with me."

~ "If you insist, I would be honored."

Ellen: "Then let us be off!"


~


You and Ellen managed to land a nice window seat, giving you a good view of the pedestrians and cars strolling along. Combined with the pleasant din of the other diners and traditional Gria decor of the restaurant creates a cozy atmosphere.

Looking over the menu, it seems like Gria cuisine is fairly distinct from Siana Chirop. While Siana Chirop was fairly similar to human styles in the area, just drawing out the strengths of grubs and bugs, Gria focuses more on frying, broiling, and spices.

Your eyes briefly glance over the drink menu, spotting the wines, mineral waters, and teas.

Plain water is free, 1 argent for one of the various mineral waters, 4 to 12 argent for wine, 1-5 argent for teas, except for the 50 argent one...

Wait, what?

There's a 50 argent tea?!


Malacia tea, one cup, 50 argent.
7420-05-03 Friday
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:32 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"What is Malacia tea and why does it cost more than dinner."


Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:25 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12286
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TorrentHKU wrote:
"What is Malacia tea and why does it cost more than dinner."


Ellen: "The Malacia plant takes a long time to grow, has really picky growing conditions, and just about everything will try to eat it. The tea a very nice calming effect without muddling your thoughts like alcohol, and an interesting flavour too.

The Garden Boat was, by a huge margin, the largest grower of Malacia plants, but your boyfriend uh, you know.

Used to be cheaper, not anymore."

7420-05-03 Friday
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:17 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Whoops.
Well that's a shame. Bright side, Garden Company was managing to do it so someone else can too, just with less horribly illegal methods."


Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:26 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12286
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Whoops.
Well that's a shame. Bright side, Garden Company was managing to do it so someone else can too, just with less horribly illegal methods."


Ellen: "Yup, it's being grown by other people now, just a lot more expensive without the whole forced volunteer labour force.

Violet stockpiled a bunch after she heard about the Garden Boat incident, I think she's good for another couple months."


7420-05-03 Friday
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:11 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Mm."
> Get a reasonably priced cup of tea.


Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12286
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Mm."
> Get a reasonably priced cup of tea.


Once the waitress returns, you and Ellen place your orders for reasonably priced drinks, as well as entrees.


Ellen: "Do you wanna visit the Pillar tomorrow? I need to power through a few assignments, thought it would be nice to do school work in the gardens."

~ "Sure, I could use a change of scenery. The temperature there is a lot closer to Darson, unlike the rest of Vellum."

Ellen: "Heh, at least we're by the coast where it's cooler, I've heard it's pretty awful further inland."



~



Saturday afternoon.

With your backpacks full of books and papers, you and Ellen enter one of the Pillar's side entrances, stepping into the massive church level.

Almost immediately Ellen walks off and towards one of the side rooms along the wall.

Ellen: "Hold on, gotta go bathroom!"

~ "You said you didn't need to go back at the dorm!"

Ellen: "I didn't need to go then!"

She quickly runs off and disappears into the women's room.


Considering her rather large breakfast this morning, you probably have a decent chunk of time to kill...



You've walked around the perimeter of the church before, but only briefly investigated the center.

Walking up to the middle of the room, you approach the centerpiece of the church - a circular staircase surrounded by pillar-like podiums, each one taller than the next, starting with the shortest at the beginning of the stairs and ending at the tallest when the stairs fully loop around.


Around the structure of podiums are three statues of women, the Daughters of Caelus, with gemstone eyes appropriately colored for the Daughter. All of them are holding a stone tablet engraved with a different piece of scripture.


When they met us with open arms, we doubted their hearts, and turned to wickedness

When they spoke their wisdom, and we closed our ears to enlightenment, and became ignorant

Despite our sins, Caelus gave us another chance, and now we must protect the Second



You hear someone approach, and turn to see a woman walk up, stopping beside you to look upon the Daughters.

Flowing brunette hair, pale skin, and dark sunglasses. A deep blue summer dress with a thin black jacket overtop gives her the look of someone of higher class.


???: "Do you know what they mean?"
7420-05-04 Saturday
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:27 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Nnnno?"
> Is she a tour guide or just a weirdly friendly lady?


Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:33 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 5138
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Nnnnot exactly? I, thought it might be about, people doubting the Daughters when they first showed up, leading to the schism between the First and the Second?"
> Is she a tour guide or just a weirdly friendly lady?


Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 10202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.023s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]