View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 10:31 pm



Reply to topic  [ 10646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708 ... 710  Next
 World Reader 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
Yeah. Wendy said that surveys found no signs of space compression, but still worth a look.


Evelyn: Maybe the construct lost power...


[Timeskip to Expedition!]
[Other]
7420-06-21 Thursday


Fri May 15, 2020 3:49 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
> Yeah, skip to expedition.


Sat May 16, 2020 1:36 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
> Yeah, skip to expedition.


~

It's Friday evening by the time you reach the closest populated town to the Bassa Falls. Driving is definitely much slower than taking Ingret, and reminds you of when you had to use the trains to go up and down Siana.

Bezel gave you some money from her loans so you could pay for basic things like food or a motel room if you happened to need it, but better to use it as little as possible.


The town of Redgrove is small, with buildings of old wood and stone and surrounded by plots of farmland, and that surrounded by forest.

Probably best to rest here for the night, and continue to the ruins in the morning - don't want to run into any beasts in the dark.

You're riding shotgun while Oliver is behind the wheel, slowly driving around the streets until he finds a small tavern and parks the truck in the empty lot beside it.


Oliver: "What's the plan from here?"
7420-06-21 Friday


Sat May 16, 2020 7:39 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Well, we're here for the night, might as well get some drinks and see if anyone knows about the falls and the mausoleum. Exact location would be nice, any gotchas about it would be nicer.
Tomorrow, assuming no news that it's become a manticore den or something, we'll head over to the area. I can scout for it remotely, and should be a fairly normal poke around the place."


Sun May 17, 2020 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Well, we're here for the night, might as well get some drinks and see if anyone knows about the falls and the mausoleum. Exact location would be nice, any gotchas about it would be nicer.
Tomorrow, assuming no news that it's become a manticore den or something, we'll head over to the area. I can scout for it remotely, and should be a fairly normal poke around the place."


Oliver: "Cool."

The team exits the truck and heads into the tavern, and only a short time passes before Valerie collects information from the patrons and bartender, returning to your table to deliver the results.

Valerie: "Looks like all the locals know of the Bassa Falls ruins, no one here knows where it is. The Bassa Falls area has beasts they call 'wildcats', the sorts of things that drag lumberjacks into the dark of the woods and only leave behind bones. No one knows if they're pure flesh-and-blood or core beasts."
7420-06-21 Friday


Mon May 18, 2020 2:29 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"If they have to drag the lumberjacks, then they sound manageable.
Between you and Frederick alone I feel safe. With Evelyn on detection and all of us alert, I've got no real worries. Numbers alone would probably be enough to dissuade them, why bother a potential struggle with five people when a deer or some other prey animal is much easier."


Mon May 18, 2020 2:39 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"If they have to drag the lumberjacks, then they sound manageable.
Between you and Frederick alone I feel safe. With Evelyn on detection and all of us alert, I've got no real worries. Numbers alone would probably be enough to dissuade them, why bother a potential struggle with five people when a deer or some other prey animal is much easier."


Valerie: "Descriptions of the wildcats seem to vary though, and it doesn't sound like anyone's literally seen a man get dragged or taken away. People just go go missing when near the woods, and there're occasional sightings of large cat-like beasts. Some say they're no bigger than a man, others say they're as big as a carriage.

I'm not a beast expert, so no clue what that might suggest."

7420-06-21 Friday


Mon May 18, 2020 3:44 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Hm. Could be tall tales, could be they grow a lot.
We'll take some of the big guns just in case. Even if they don't fear us, they don't sound like the type to jump out and make themselves known, which works to our advantage with Evelyn here."


Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Hm. Could be tall tales, could be they grow a lot.
We'll take some of the big guns just in case. Even if they don't fear us, they don't sound like the type to jump out and make themselves known, which works to our advantage with Evelyn here."


Evelyn: "Hopefully they're not weird spiritless creatures again..."

Oliver: "We set off on foot or'n the truck? Think we'll definitely be safe in the truck, but might've a hard time drivin' it through a forest if there's no wide trail."
7420-06-21 Friday


Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"I'll poke around tonight and see how things look. We might, we might not."


Mon May 18, 2020 4:06 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"I'll poke around tonight and see how things look. We might, we might not."


~

In an effort to conserve Bezel's money, the team decided it would be best to sleep in the truck. It's still not quite dark yet, so they decide to explore the town while you sit in the truck alone.


Searching through the forest with Observer, the Bassa Falls are easy enough to find - a rather unremarkable waterfall in a remote section of the forest.

A view from the sky shows a void in the trees, a good distance from the falls. Dozens of hills covered in brush, most of them rather short, with a few noticeably taller than the others.

Bringing Observer into one of the hills, you find it full of stone fragments - old masonry.


Guess that was pretty easy.
7420-06-21 Friday


Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
> Nice. Any entrances? Intact structure? Horrible traps? Monsters?


Thu May 21, 2020 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
> Nice. Any entrances? Intact structure? Horrible traps? Monsters?


No monsters in sight - that's good, you supposed.

There aren't any standing intact structures or entrances, just wreckage piles of collapse buildings that have become overgrown with time.


Several of the larger hills have basement structures that are still intact, but it'll take a lot of digging to access them.

Checking the various basements, you find one that has a large sealed vault of sorts that you can't push Observer into - a space barrier.

Weird. Didn't Wendy say they didn't detect any space compression in the area? Though, if it's a just a space barrier with no compression, maybe it isn't detected by whatever method that was used.
7420-06-21 Friday


Fri May 22, 2020 3:42 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
> Hm. That works. Digging it out will suck though. Wonder if we can use the sport casters to speed things up. We've got plenty of ways to blow things up, but that's an awful idea around ruins.
Maybe poke around for sight on any of these wildcats? Don't spend too much effort on it for now though, when we're done then go to the Timeskip.


Sat May 23, 2020 4:54 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
> Hm. That works. Digging it out will suck though. Wonder if we can use the sport casters to speed things up. We've got plenty of ways to blow things up, but that's an awful idea around ruins.
Maybe poke around for sight on any of these wildcats? Don't spend too much effort on it for now though, when we're done then go to the Timeskip.


The sports casters are unfortunately rather combat-oriented, not too useful for archaeology with the current set of magic cards.

Hm. If you could get your TI-Comp rigged to an autocaster with some generic kinetic and fire modules, that'd be quite a versatile programmable magic tool.


Scanning the area and surrounding forests for wildcats, you don't see anything of note, so after a few minutes you decide to return back to your body.


~


It's noon by the time the truck reaches the site of the ruins. You were able to pick out a path barely wide enough for the truck to take, and it's definitely a lot easier than lugging all the equipment with you.

The ruins look the same as they did during the day - a strange array of hills covered in dense brush, making it annoyingly more difficult to navigate through than the somewhat-clear forest floor.


Your team dismounts, Evelyn and Valerie keeping a sharp eye out for wildcats while Oliver and Frederick take a look at the waist-high thicket of thorns and vines between you and the destination hill.

Oliver: "That's a right pain."

Frederick: "Shall I blast it away?"
7420-06-22 Saturday


Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 10646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708 ... 710  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.030s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]