View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 pm



Reply to topic  [ 10646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710  Next
 World Reader 
Author Message
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Carefully, yeah.
Ruins should be fine, more concerned about being noisy."


Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Carefully, yeah.
Ruins should be fine, more concerned about being noisy."


Frederick: "Roger that."

Moving closer, Frederick throws a punch forward, and a patch of brush roughly a yard in diameter is ripped from the ground and flung several feet ahead.

Fairly quiet, just the sound of plants jostling and tearing.

Oliver: "Wow, why'd I even bother with this thing."

Oliver chucks his machete back into the truck while Frederick continues clearing a path to the hill, punching the foliage out of the way chunk by chunk.


You reach the hill only a few minutes later, standing over a freshly-cleared pile of dirt and rocks obscuring the basement entrance, which Frederick quickly but carefully clears with his kinetics.

In no time at all, there's a dark, ominous staircase stretching down into the abyss.


Oliver: "Damn, you could make a killing in construction."

Frederick: "Ha, that's what I did before I joined the force. Easy work for a kinetic mage, kind of unimpressive on a resume."
7420-06-22 Saturday


Sat May 23, 2020 5:21 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Yeah, this seems more like a portfolio sort of thing."
> Shine a beam of light down there. Can we do beams? I hope we can do beams.
"Alright. Should be deserted down here, but there's at least an active space barrier, so there could be other machinery going. Plus all the ancient broken stonework.
So watch your step and keep your ears open more than anything."


Sat May 23, 2020 5:26 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yeah, this seems more like a portfolio sort of thing."
> Shine a beam of light down there. Can we do beams? I hope we can do beams.
"Alright. Should be deserted down here, but there's at least an active space barrier, so there could be other machinery going. Plus all the ancient broken stonework.
So watch your step and keep your ears open more than anything."


Frederick: "Roger."

You shine a beam of light down - the stairs descend down one level, and a quick Observer peak shows that it opens up into a large series of hallways, one path eventually leading to a locked door that then leads to the vault-like structure.

Frederick kneels down beside a wall, placing one hand beside it and knocking with the other.


Frederick: "Feels stable. Stairs, at least. Not sure about the rooms below."
7420-06-22 Saturday


Sat May 23, 2020 5:36 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"One way to find out."
> Head in. Watch our step.


Sat May 23, 2020 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"One way to find out."
> Head in. Watch our step.


With you lighting the path, Frederick takes the lead, checking the integrity of the walls and ceiling as the team descends.

Using Observer, you constantly check the nearby hallways for potential threats as you direct everyone towards the vault. The halls are old, dirty, and full of various grubs and worms, but otherwise unoccupied and uninteresting. The rooms might have more items of interest, if it didn't look like all the paper in them was completely rotted.

Reaching the vault, you shine a light on the sealed entrance, no larger than a standard house door.

The dusty grey vault door appears featureless - no handles, buttons, or displays of any kind.


Oliver: "What now?"
7420-06-22 Saturday


Sat May 23, 2020 10:04 pm
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Archaeology!"
> Investigation time. Touch the door. Examine the frame. Look around the room for anything of note.
"Evelyn, do you see anything interesting? Magic nodes or ports or interfaces for the vault? Oliver, how much of this is HM?"


Sat May 23, 2020 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Archaeology!"
> Investigation time. Touch the door. Examine the frame. Look around the room for anything of note.
"Evelyn, do you see anything interesting? Magic nodes or ports or interfaces for the vault? Oliver, how much of this is HM?"


Oliver: "Seems like HM walls underneath the stone ones. HM door. Extends down some distance, can't tell how far."

You poke the wall in various spots, nothing happening in response.

The frame looks almost perfectly flush with the door - smooth, no hinges visible, with ordinary stone walls built in front of the vault's HM walls.

The room is perhaps thirty yards wide and twenty feet long - a few old rotted chairs line one side, but you can't find anything that might be a switch, button, or interface.


Evelyn: "Um, it looks like the surface of the door has little circles of HM different from the rest of the door. In the center, a square grid of dots.

I think it might be for detecting a signal? So you would need a construct, 'key', that emits the right signal to open it."

7420-06-22 Saturday


Sat May 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Damn, was afraid of that. Any good vault would be locked.
Hm. Maybe it's down here somewhere. Unlikely, but this place has been undisturbed for god knows how long. Let's look around."


Sat May 23, 2020 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Damn, was afraid of that. Any good vault would be locked.
Hm. Maybe it's down here somewhere. Unlikely, but this place has been undisturbed for god knows how long. Let's look around."


Your team begins searching the rooms for anything that could be a construct key. Most of them appear to be private quarters, others offices, and a few storage rooms. Rotted furniture, powdered books, rusted metal, nothing that looks useful.


As your team carefully picks through the latest room, Evelyn starts looking around in the air, like a dog that caught scent of something.
7420-06-22 Saturday


Sun May 24, 2020 5:09 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Problem?"
> Observe towards the entrance.


Sun May 24, 2020 5:10 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Problem?"
> Observe towards the entrance.


You send Observer to the entrance - no wildcats, or any other creatures, in sight.

Evelyn: "No.

I think there's HM above us."

7420-06-22 Saturday


Sun May 24, 2020 5:12 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Hmm?"
> Observe UPWARDS!


Sun May 24, 2020 5:13 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 12527
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Hmm?"
> Observe UPWARDS!


Sending Observer upwards, you find your view inside the dense ruins above - dirt, stone fragments, glass, bones, assorted bits of metal - difficult to find what she's sensing without HM detection on Observer.
7420-06-22 Saturday


Sun May 24, 2020 5:15 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Hmm. There's a big hodgepodge of debris above us, and I can't tell what is and isn't HM. We may need to dig some more."
> Just, check the surface too real quick to make sure she doesn't mean a core beast is stalking around.


Sun May 24, 2020 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 10646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.026s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]