View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:34 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Magitech: Frontiers 
Loose Canon

Post Re: Magitech: Frontiers
I am heavy sword guy.
And this is my sword.
Is simple.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You guys want setting material?

Fine.

Give me some time to make a background, then you DMs make use of that.

I will edit this post with it.

EDIT :

And here it is gentlemen. The setting for the now.

Hyboro, capital city of the realm of Chermanshire, is a large city with bustling market places and a even larger industrial district. The cities economy flourishes - it is the only place in the known world where merchants, from Stein or Olvitium can make business with one another with little difficulty, apart from the occasional fight. The industrial district of the city, located to the east of the fortress, leaning towards the land of Stein, are factories, much smaller then their Steinen cousins. They still cast smoke, but it is not black, but rather a pale misty grey, with magic cleaning the smoke to manageable levels, with few power plants that harness the power of coal.

Towards the west of the city lies the Magi quarter, closer to Olvitium. Many magical wonders are performed here, especially with the aid of scientific instruments made in the industrial district, like perfect crystal balls, alembics, and the like. These tools are used to create potions of varying kinds, the most common include health potions, endurance and the rumoured Potion of Long Life, said to be able to restore youth.

Whether such potion exists, however, is open to speculation. In the residential district to the south, lies many houses of all sizes. From small apartment blocks to underground laboratories, there is lots of activity here. This is also the cities primary entertainment district, with a large number of taverns, entertainers and the occasional brothel. Even in spite of the city guards attempt to stamp out scamming, some working class bars are true hives of scum and villainy, where the hopeless try to find hope, and where people con someone into buying stolen or counterfeit goods.

To the north of the city centre, lies the military district. Normally, the district would be buzzing with off duty soldiers, but is unusually empty today. Only small token guard forces remain to look after the quarters and armories, both now empty as the Chermanshire Rifles are stationed at all entrances to the city, and the walls are covered in soldiers, both manning cannon, musket and staff, ready for the enemy to approach. This unusual military activity has sparked a panic in the city, and few Rifles are available to stop the looting and riots that may start any minute now.

The city centre, Castle Grey, is on high alert. The castle tower, known to all as The Spire, has had all its cannons brought to combat positions, and a magi circle are ready at the top of the tower, ready to cast spells to function as magical artillery. Lord Robert himself has donned his battle armour. Well designed plate, intended to not restrict the wearers movement, glowing with wards of protection, and his sword, Balance, a mechanical sword, red runes glistening in its surface.

From The Spire, if one looks to the east, they can see black clouds rising from the advancing Stein army. They are bringing legions of soldiers, both man and machine. The infantry are equipped with a supposed semi automatic rifle with a small bayonet attached, wearing steel combat armour covering most of the body, with automatic gears to let the joints remain functional. The helmet, a full facial helm with a built in gas mask, also comes with a adaptable series of optics, allowing excellent long range vision, or supposedly perfect eyesight to those who are deficient in those regards. The mechanical monstrosities that Stein would call men, however, are large, hulking juggernauts made out of gears, with huge arms and a titanic boiler, attached to their backs. Thick metallic plating covered the chest plate, and two small, glowing blue "eye" stalks were attached to a head, itself in a fixed position merged directly into the torso. Their arms occasionally dissipated electricity, arcing to the ground and occasional sparking the ground to a flame, were quickly extinguished by the advance of the army.

And of particular note, was a single battle train, surrounded by a infantry column. This train, unlike its civilian brothers, could go onto a battlefield without need of track. A black cloud came from its mighty smoke stacks, and massive artillery pieces lined its carriages, filled with elite soldiers. The train appeared to have twelve carriages. Eight of them were intended for battle, the "windows" either being firing ports for the men inside, or covered with a rumoured fully automatic weapon, but the truth of that rumour is questionable. The remaining four carriages, however, were assault vehicles that would detach when the fighting began, to reach into the parts of the city where the train itself could not go, or to hit faster then the train itself could travel.

To the west however, no one could see what was going on. A massive, white fog, had descended that side of the battlefield. There was only one thing that could mean.

The armies of Olvitium were approaching Chermanshire, and there was a Arch Magi in the group. There is no solid evidence that even a Arch Magi could cover a battlefield in fog, but everyone deep down knew they could. Some say even a regular magi can throw a fire ball capable of incinerating ten men where they stand. The combat power of a Arch Magi, however, was completely unknown. No one has ever even heard of one going to a battlefield, yet alone actually fighting in it. Even with the fog however, the skilled watchers at the top of the Spire could just about make out a large army, filled with Magi and their conjured servants, golems, elementals, even the creatures of darkness, the imps and demons. There were golems of stone, dirt and iron. Elementals of Fire, Water, Air and Earth. Demons of War and Death advanced together, the horned demons of War barely containing their fury, while the cloaked reapers of Death patiently waited for the slaughter to begin.

The ground in the city trembled at the march of these two forces, and every man was ready to do his duty. Ready to die for his country. Many men, blacksmiths, bar keepers even merchants, have joined the Chermanshire Rifles on the walls, and they too, are ready to do their duty.

This would be their finest hour.

END OF SETTING

There. Is that adequate enough to get this roll...

Rolling?
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Last edited by caekdaemon on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:18 am
Profile WWW

Well noone has rolled yet, so Imma skip to my turn and do it. It's go time!.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:55 am

*slow clap*

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:11 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I shouldn't type so much, I'll get carpal tunnel.

Now, lets get this thing under way, shall we?

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:12 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Magitech : Frontiers
(Izen) Skeev
Healthy
Within a short guard tower on the outer edge of the Northern Military district, Skeev and two Rifles circle around the long and winding staircase to the top.
"... if only that damn Repairmagi had shown up today we'd be riding the lift platform instead of walking up these stupid stairs!" says one, who is particularly tall and gangly.
"Them Magi ain't t' be trusted, I say. Scoundrels an' swindlers the lot of 'em. Unreliable bunch o' fools." the other, older and gruff man replies.

Skeev doesn't say anything right away - he doesn't know these two men too well. The three of them arrive on the landing at the top of the tower facing a closed steel door with a peep-slot at the top. There is a shelf and chest with ammunition, health packs and a few potions in and also two rolled up papers sitting on a small out-of-place end table. The older man grumbles and walks to the door - the jangle of keys signals he is unlocking it.

There. I put the order that we roll in the first post for everyone, but Nighthawk is next. Order of rolling is stupid.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:26 am

Very nice description of the city, caek. It helps very much.
Here's my bit:

Quote:
(TorrentHKU) Anthony M. Lovegale
Healthy
Anthony leans comfortably against the wall of a near-abandoned tavern in the southern city district. Most of the common folk seem to either be outside finding a good perch from which to see the cause of commotion outside the city, or taking shelter in their homes. The barkeep watches his only visitor with a curious and careful eye, as if expecting him to make some sudden move. And he isn't the only one who's high strung. There is a tension in the air, the cause of which can only be the coming bloodbath.

Anthony has already caught wind of the situation, and fingers the handle of the sword strapped to his belt as he considers his options.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:44 am
Loose Canon

Let there be Roast.

(Roast Veg) Aeos Drintal [-]
Aeos dozes off slightly, leaning forward, then jerking back awake. He looks down and decides to make his best effort to stay awake. It would suck to fall from here. The western buildings aren't built quite as high and large as the eastern, but a fall from the second story straight down to a cobblestone road would still hurt quite a bit. And this being a, *ahem*, Boarding House for Less Than Reputable Women, there's not likely to be much high quality medical care inside. Plenty of potions to cure diseases, sure, but nothing for broken legs.
Despite the fact that he's sitting on the roof of a magical whorehouse, dangling his legs off over the street, Aeos finds himself plentifully bored. The fog blocking the view of the west isn't helping either, since he can't even watch for any stray explosions from the Olvitium.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:02 am
Profile WWW

I thought there was a designated turn order?

I mean, I'm done with my roll but Fail Flail has to go first.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:05 am

Not any more.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Turns are supposed to be happening at the same time anyway, it doesn't matter so long as we all take one turn.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 am

Quote:
(Psygnosis) Tarik Morskorj
Healthy
You sit on a battered stool, in a dingy tavern flooded with weak yellow light from a mage-lantern. It makes the few people drinking here look even more gaunt and decrepit than usual. You wonder why they're all so depressed; they're in soldiers' uniforms, shouldn't they be off fighting glorious battles to defend Chermanshire? There's been a lot more of them rushing about lately.

The bartender, Old Harold Chumsley, with his blood-runed iron leg and hacking cough, sighs and folds his hands in what could be a prayer. He looks over at you and sees that you don't have a drink. With a tap of his wrinkled nose (which is not a pretty sight), he fills up your glass with Chermanshire ambrosia. The best stuff, straight from the rich distilleries for the mage quarter. You take an appreciative sip of the golden liquor, which goes down like fine wine.

He opens his mouth to speak, falters, and starts talking again.

"This is for ev'rythin, Tarik. Been a long time since you first walked into the Broken Drum, hah, sure taught them Stein bastards a lesson, eh? Woulda got me real good if you hadn't stepped in, crack, end o' poor old Harold. So drink up, there's something evil in the air."

"Lik' wha?", you slur, the magic-enhanced ambrosia already taking effect. It doesn't last long, but while it does, it's a hell of a drink.

"Smells like the blood from th' Old War. From the flaming hell that Stein and Olvitium made. From m'dear Annette, when she fell. From my little Dan, when the golem tore down our house. It ain't that far away. Ha'ent ye noticed all the soldiers?" he croaks, waving a gnarled hand at the men drowning their sorrows around him. Then he sighs and pours one for himself, taking care to bring the old Thundercracker blunderbuss up from its rest beneath the counter. Somewhere out of sight, you can hear the quiet drone of an engine and the muffled whup-whup of rotors.

You sit on a battered stool, in a dingy tavern flooded with weak yellow light from a mage-lantern. You've been the bouncer here for five years, held that oaken door against man and monster and mage and beast.

What do you do?

good enough roll for everyone?

Last edited by TheKebbit on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:10 am

Quote:
good enough roll for everyone?

Uh. Yeah. Don't make us look bad or nuffin. I do like "dialogue" to be bolded though.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:17 am

Fix'd.

And yeah, I'm just excited to be writing again.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:18 am

(nicolasx)Verigon
Healthy
Quote:
The Mended Drum lies empty, unusual for a tavern at this time of day but understandable given the situation.
Click
Fire

The only occupent is a lone Spell Sword, nursing half a glass of rum in one hand, and practicing an age old spell in the other.
Click
No fire

Click
Fire

Click
No fire

"You should be out helping them you know."
Click
Fire

You know that, but what could one mage do?
Click
No fire

If the Olvitium caught you you'd be sent into the nether for treason...
Click
Fire

and the Stein want you hung for murder.
Click
No fire

"Coward"
Standing up, you make your way to the door, drinking isn't going to make your problem go away, but outside sounds like a nice place to start.

Ah, sorry bout the late roll, we have an order?

EDIT: Damn you Kebbit! Why do there have to be other Disk World fans in existence :oops:
Alright, think, bar name, a bar name..... eureka!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:48 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next