View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41
 Roll to Dodge - Blue Thunder 
Loose Canon

Post Re: Roll to Dodge - Blue Thunder
You're a sniper, she's a melee, and she has superpowers.
I'm trying to guide things away from "EVERYTHING IS DECIDED BY DICE" a bit. The dice are still powerful influencers, but the character themselves and their attributes are going to be more important.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Activate defensive ability, has no effect on enemies attacks. Good job hk.

"..."
>Poke a few buttons, Sit back, cross arms, wait.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:17 pm

I know I'm not even in this, but I have to say, I vouch for Fail Flail. I mean really - how can you say that dice are a "powerful influence" when he rolls a 10 and gets PUNISHED? I just do not see how that makes any sense. If your reasoning is that he should be trying to fight at a range since he's a sniper, also consider the fact that he is a giant mecha with a giant fist, so his melee can't be considered weak either.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:47 pm

In times like these, you abuse your powers.

> Use reverse healing boosted with Galileo Galilei (when did I get these?) on the closest Nairle.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 pm
Loose Canon

Nighthawk wrote:
I know I'm not even in this, but I have to say, I vouch for Fail Flail. I mean really - how can you say that dice are a "powerful influence" when he rolls a 10 and gets PUNISHED? I just do not see how that makes any sense. If your reasoning is that he should be trying to fight at a range since he's a sniper, also consider the fact that he is a giant mecha with a giant fist, so his melee can't be considered weak either.

Consider this example.
Medieval battlefield, Fail is an famous archer with a bow taller than he is and arrows that can punch through platemail twice. #2 is a huge armored knight on a similarly huge armored horse.
The two face off. Fail is currently on a 10 foot tall solid stone mound with extremely steep sides. Cannot be climbed, he is essentially invincible. He sees the armored knight approach.
Gets the brilliant idea of leaping his leather-tunic covered ass OFF the mound so that he can punch the knight in the face. Fail rolls an 8 for leaping off, and his punch gets +2 for war cry.
The knight lols and stabs the archer mid-jump with his lance and roll of 7.

To be honest, that example doesn't paint a slanted enough picture. Yes, Flail is in a future-tech mecha (shrunken down to normal human size), but he gave up his only form of defence and ignored his very powerful primary weapon, choosing to go into melee combat which he is very much unsuited to, with a superpowered woman who is currently using her full power and wielding a future-metal sword.

Had #2 failed badly, sure, but she suceeded pretty well, and Fail Flail put himself in an extremely vulnerable position.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:03 pm
Profile WWW

I see your point, Torrent, but I can't help but empathize with Fail. I mean come on - nobody wants to just do one thing all the time. Variety makes RtD more interesting for both parties.
I guess this is why we need more stats - to better spell out what you're good at vs. what you're bad at.

Also, it's very difficult to pull off badass one-liners when all you're doing is shooting people from a mile away over and over and over. I'm guessing that's why Fail chose to Falcon Punch in that situation.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:54 am

Attempt to ensnare whichever Nairle is threatening me most (I'm not exactly sure where they're positioned) with painfully-barbed chains; if any projectiles come at me, put up several layers of psionic barricades. If someone gets too close for comfort, try and slice them to bits with either dagger.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:01 am
Loose Canon

GLOWSTICK

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41