View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 49  Next
 FG Lounge 

Post Re: FG Lounge
Hmmm... Is it going overboard to make a drawing for everything that I feel like drawing? Like monsters and characters and stuff?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 am
Loose Canon

Feel free. Your players'll love it.

Arcalane wrote:
Not if you want to keep your players interested and playing. Forcing the plot along is called railroading. If you're going to do that you might as well call it a book and write everything yourself.

I'm avoiding that in my current thread by giving the players clear goals and objectives, which they, being members of a military force, have a very good reason to carry out. I mean sure nothing is really stopping them all piling in that APC and driving off into the forest and then across the sea to the nearest island, but they have an incentive not to, even though they're relatively fresh personnel and thus not as experienced or disciplined as other members of their force (in theory).

Yes, it's important to give your characters freedom, but if you give them too much, then they feel lost and confused.
"Where do I go? What should I do? I can do anything? Cool, but what? Should I go explore a forest? Maybe go find a dungeon? Hit up a bar and find a quest? I do not know, too many options!"
I've experienced this feeling myself more than once. It's good to have some structure or guidance, or at least a big neon sign that says "Hey, quest over here. Feel free to do your own thing though."

Of course in some games it's moot, like in Blue Thunder. That's just characters in an arena fighting enemies. If I left them to their own devices in THAT, then it'd get boring fast.

It's a tricky thing to strike the right balance. Also having a flexible plot, with a few end goals/milestones/key events that need to happen and the rest being filled in by the players can work quite well. For instance, way back in Blue, I knew of a few set pieces I wanted to do (which were CONSTANTLY fluctuating), and pretty much all the random craziness in between, and even DURING, was a result of the players giving actions and rolling crazy results. The giant volcano-dragon? That was planned. Benpasko becoming one of the most dangerous enemies in the whole game? Not at ALL planned.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:53 am
Profile WWW

I updated those stories of the RtD2 Prequel characters. Link in my sig.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:48 am

Woohoo, just one more character down the line before Mr. Ivanov!

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:42 pm

No!!!!!!!!!! Emi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, well... I still have the game... Okay. Anyways, I decided to post the game before I finished absolutely everything, because I realized that it was more practical to release the game sooner and type stuff up as it goes. Making up items in the middle of a game is easier than making up items before the game, too, it seems.

Yay! I have officially become the master of making off-topic comments! (At least out of me and me.) And...! I actually don't have anything to say. That's about it. Well, I guess I can say that I got back into modding from being on the forum so much recently... Yeah. Not really anything to say anymore. Wah. Nothing to say. There.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:11 am

To Torrent, if you see this:
That new avatar captures my frickin' attention EVERY time. I can't look at anything else on the screen.
And it doesn't help that there are drills....

I can't ignore it...! :cry:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:31 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

On the ORZ/OTL dilemma: They are inter-changable.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:56 am
Profile WWW

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:28 am

2 things . One: 500 Posts!!! Two: I'm in Melbourne in the moment, so I won't be able to roll, or action until caturday, many apology for the inconvenience, and upon my return I will roll and anounce that I won't roll for another 2-3 weeks due to exams and me crying at my results after said exams. Also its very late and I am typing on a phone and I have forgotten about grammer and backspace so sorry for that to.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Damn wish Fail had said soooner. id invite him to come play arcade games in the CBD. i know a wicked arcade.

Also wish he'd posted a few generic actions for Pioneers of space. Will just have to darken his colony for now.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Anyone ever hear of the "Iron Hearts" game?

Was a Person = squad game. Pretty fun. Might run something like it (its easier on the typing than another Hexed)

Basically you had a number of squads, like classes and a player would control one squad in battle.
Scout
2-4 Members
Move: 2/4 (2 while ready to shoot, 4 with Action Points needed to raise weapons)
HP: 3 (per squad member)
Armour: 1
Weapon: SMG

Infantry
3-5/10 Members (At 6, your squad splits into 2 fire teams)
Move: 1/3
HP: 3
Armour 1.5
Weapon: Assault Rifle

Support
Move 1/3
2-4 Members
HP 3
Armour 1.5
Weapon: LMG

Walker (mech)
Move 2
1-3 Members
HP 6
Armour 4
Weapon: MMG

Vehicle (From Humvees to MBT's dependent on level)
Armored Car
1 Member
Move 2/10 (+/-2 a turn) (move on vehicles takes a little getting used to)
HP 8
Armour 4
Weapon: MMG

After each battle you earn XP to level. different squads can buy different things, buying new members or new guns.
Scouts can get Marksman rifles, Shotguns, Flamethrowers, Assault Rifles, Better Armour, Grenades, Radio beacons, Mines, Explosives.

Anyone interested in a game? Ill probably start working in what little spare time i have. will post here.

Tue May 01, 2012 4:04 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Psygnosis wrote:
Anyone interested in a game? Ill probably start working in what little spare time i have. will post here.

Hmmm.

Looks quite fun. Make a thread so more people notice :D

Dibs on infantry.

Tue May 01, 2012 5:56 pm
Profile WWW

caekdaemon wrote:
Psygnosis wrote:

Hmmm.

Looks quite fun. Make a thread so more people notice :D

Dibs on infantry mecha.

Tue May 01, 2012 6:07 pm

I'd play. It sounds fun. T'would use either a scout squad or a vehicle.

Tue May 01, 2012 8:39 pm

I would probably go support.

Tue May 01, 2012 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 49  Next