View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:12 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Erased (a CYOA-like RTD) 

Post Erased (a CYOA-like RTD)
I didn't feel like I was contributing enough to the community so here's something from the depths of the mind of Yolady. Be warned that no chances are taken, no punches are pulled and nothing is or is not as it seems at this level. User discretion is advised.

GAME INFO
This game is muti-user input driven - that is, no-one and everyone is a player. There is one character - THE protagonist - in this game. I will use a six-sided die to determine outcomes (because I like the six-results system) HOWEVER I will not publish the results of said dice rolls.

Actions will be chosen based on how well they fit the character or situation. If there are multiple, I'll just choose one to use. No hard feelings.

In order for you to contribute an action, you must format your action like thus:
This is an action, and
"This is speech."

All other formatting will be IGNORED NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE. NO EXCEPTIONS.

To start off, I will write the story in the next post, 'cos that's how I roll.

If you wish to read each story in sequence, search for THISISABARCODE in this topic. Every part of the story has that keyword at the beginning.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Post Re: Erased (a CYOA-like RTD)
THISISABARCODE
Just like every other day on the bus ride home from University, you're looking out the window listening to your music. It's 4 o'clock and the traffic is moderately tight so the bus is going pretty slow. School kids chatter from the seat both in front and behind you but you ignore them, just like every other day.

A car pulls in front as the bus enter a round-about intersection and the bus halts suddenly, a deep throaty honk voicing the bus driver's aggression. You lean into the aisle to see out the front, just because, then settle back to watching the bland scenery go past outside.

You start imagining what would have happened if the bus kept going and hit that car, or the car hit it. You imaging grabbing the seat in front of you as the bus jerks sideways and tips, people falling from their seats and clinging to the many poles and handles as gravity seems to shift sideways. You shake yourself from your daydream and back to reality, only to look out the window again.

The bus enters a round-about intersection and the bus brakes hard as a car inconsiderately continues on in front. The driver pushes the horn and a honk akin to a foghorn sounds, voicing the bus driver's thoughts of that car. Because everyone else does, you lean into the aisle to see out the front for a moment but then sit back to watch out the window again.

You wonder what would have happened if the bus didn't stop in time - if there had been a collision. You imagine falling sideways out of your seat, people frantically holding onto arm rests and seats. You imagine seeing the grey bitumen through a broken window as your head breaks through and-

You blink and give a start, scaring yourself.
Whoa, you think, deja vu.

A young girl across the aisle looks at you and holds something out.
"Here, you dropped this."

It's your photo ID. What information is written on it, and what does the photo look like?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:00 pm

"Oh... thanks."
> The ID reads,
James Ferris (Jim)
Student
ID Number: 3013

The image shows a shoulder and head view. The kid on the card has disheveled blond hair and dark, murky green eyes. It is possible to tell from the view on the card that he's wearing a grey hoodie. He did not smile for this picture.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:32 pm

"Thank you..."

Aleck Miller
Age 20
Student
ID 657

The image shows a head view he has brown hair and grey blue eyes and a slight smile

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 pm

THISISABARCODE
"Oh... thanks."
The ID shows a picture of a young adult male with dirty-blonde long hair and grey-green eyes. His name is Alex Millar, aged 19, with a student number beside the DOB.

You, Alex Millar, take the ID from the girl and pocket it.

The bus eventually gets to your stop and you get off. The doors squeal as they close and the bus chuggs away. Across the road is the apartment block you live in. As you walk up the drive, a FedEx van pulls up behind you and the driver leans out the window.

"You Alex Millar?"
You nod.
"Got something for ya'."

You walk the few feet to the van as the driver reaches over the back of his seat. He grabs something and hands you a digital touchscreen device with a stylus.
"Sign that."
You do, and he hands you a small wrapped box that you can hold in one hand.

"Seeya." The driver reverses out of the driveway and down the road.

This is odd. You didn't order anything lately. Maybe it's your roommate's? Speaking of which, who is your roommate and where are they?

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:32 am

Your roommate is Matt Springer, a short-ish, brown-haired, brown-eyed kid well known for his intellect, fancy vocabulary, impulsiveness and frequent lack of common sense. Right now, he's probably just screwin' around town with some friends or his girlfriend.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:45 am

THISISABARCODE
You bounce the small package in your palm as you go inside the building. Inside, the stray cat that lives in the laundry room runs past you and outside. You go to the elevator and push the *UP* button, but it doesn't glow like it usually does. You push it twice more and presume that the elevator is broken.

Instead, you cross the room to the stairwell door. The homeless cat living in the laundry room runs past and scratches at the front door beside you, so you open the front door and the cat walks out happily. As you close the door you frown at nothing.

Hm.

You open the stairwell door and go up the stairs, looking at the little parcel you've got. It's addressed to the unit you live in, but not to any person in particular. Well, you live where it's addressed, so it must be OK for you to open it, right? You rip the top off and tip it end-up.

Into your hand falls a cassette player and a piece of paper. The paper says DISGUISED SHOCK WEAPON - USE WITH DISCRETION. There is a large button on the side, which when pressed produces two sparks from one end of the device. You raise an eyebrow at it and turn it over in your hands as you reach the landing on your floor.

As you open the door, a lady screams from just down the hall. A balaclava-wearing man is threatening her with his back to you.
"I said shut your mouth, ♥♥♥♥♥!"
Without thinking, you take a few steps and jab the 'cassette player' into the aggressor's back and push the button with your thumb. There is a CRACK and the man jerks twice before falling to the floor. The woman falls to her knees and starts crying.

You back up, shaking with shock. Your door is right there next to you, so you unlock it and go inside, slam the door behind you and lean against it, breathing heavily.

You look at the thing in your hand. A wisp of smoke drifts from the dangerous end, but inside is a cassette tape. You also notice an envelope on the floor, pushed from the other side of the door.

What do you do?

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:05 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

>Get envelope, open envelope, read envelope.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:08 pm

>Pick up envelope, then look for my old cassette player

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:24 pm

"♥♥♥♥, man!"
Shakily open the envelope and read it. If there's enough room in the action left, go see if I can find a tapedeck and put the tape in.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:07 am

THISISABARCODE

You pick up the envelope and take the letter out. It's handwritten and messy, but you're used to your roommate's handwriting by now:
Quote:
Salutations Roommate,
My companions and I have decided to have a few alcoholic beverages at the local tavern and then stay at the hotel opposite to avoid any unnecessary situations with driving. I will arrive back at approximately noon tomorrow, assuming you receive this letter on the same day I leave.
Katie should come by tonight and inform you of any differing decisions I have made that conflict with this statement.

Thank you for your understanding.
Matthew Springer

Looks like Matt is taking on the town tonight. Again.

You drop the letter and shocker on the front table and go to the electronics drawer near the TV. Not only does Matt have an impressive vocabulary, he is also very particular with where he keeps things, though only after the mess is big enough. Like an automatic clean-your-room command.

Right at the back of the drawer is the tape deck. You drag it out and blow the dust off then stick the cassette in and press play. The spindles whir quietly for a few seconds.

"Hello Alex. I'm sure you are wondering what is happening to you."

You sit the tape deck on the table and drop into a chair, listening intently.

"You have passed the first test. Good. Now look out the window."

Sceptical, you stand and brush the curtain out of the way and look down to the street.

"The stray you saw earlier is crossing the road. Watch it."

You lean a bit to the side and see, sure enough, that the stray is crossing the road.

"It is about to be run over by the same delivery van you got this cassette from."

You look at the tape deck in shock of what it just said, and screeching tyres from outside make you go back to the window. Just like it said, the FedEx van is stopped in the middle of the road, angled slightly, and the driver is looking underneath the front of it and holding a hand to his head.

"You should now check your bank account and get two-hundred dollars from the ATM on the corner. You will need it for tonight."

The tape deck clicks once - end of the tape. The computer monitor across the room flickers for some odd reason.

What do you do?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:01 am

Check dat monitor, foo'!

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:06 am

>Check monitor, go to atm

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:02 pm

THISISABARCODE

You go to the monitor, which flickers again once while you walk to it. You sit down in the wooden dining chair and navigate the mouse pointer to the 'Internet' shortcut, then browse to your bank's website and log in. The page loads a bit slowly than usually:
Code:
Error: Account number doesn't exist.

What? you think. How does my account not exist?

You enter your account number again, and the same error page comes up. You even check your first-ever debit card for this account, which you kept just to be safe a year ago when they upgraded to a new card, and it still produces the error.

Instead, you pick up the phone and dial the number on the website. You put the phone to your ear and there is no dial tone.

You blink and frown in confusion then set the phone back in the cradle and try again. Still no tone. Getting a bit scared, you open Skype on the computer and even that fails to recognise your account. Then the phone rings in your hand and you jump.

"He- hello?"
"Good afternoon, am I speaking to Mister Alex Millar?"
"... yes ..."
"My name is James, calling from East Coast Ethernet. I have just received notice that your internet connection is available but not associated with an account. Could you tell me if you have an internet connection under your name?"
"... uh, yes. I do."
"Okay, well I apologise for telling you but I have to disconnect and cancel the connection to your dwelling for matters of security. I hope you understand. Good bye."

He hangs up.

What do?

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:45 pm

Obviously this has something to do with the message you think

Call roommate ask if he knows what the hell is going on

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:19 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next