View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Exodous to the Void. Colonies of the Outer Rim.. 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Exodous to the Void. Colonies of the Outer Rim..
I think this is where you need to work on the technical details, and the mechanics as opposed to the actual fluff.
Also, why is this about you, and not psy.

Eh, dropping out, too confused.

[Consensus of Foe, MLC, HKU: The stats are weird, and can be combined/nerfed]

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:44 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Foa wrote:
I think this is where you need to work on the technical details, and the mechanics as opposed to the actual fluff.

Psy and Keb both know what they are doing. Especially Psy, since he started the entire damn strategy RtD genre. Destiny and Afterworld are both following Pioneers footsteps, so it is quite clear that the game is mechanically sound. I see nothing wrong with the game mechanics, all they did was forget one category of ship component, an understandable mistake in a large scale game.

For an example of a bad game mechanic, take a look at Destiny's morale system which I am going to be ripping out.
Foa wrote:
Also, why is this about you, and not psy.

They have worked on it cooperatively. From what I can tell, Keb wrote most of the descriptions for the ship components. I think this works well as it plays to their strengths, as Keb is great at description (Just look at his RtDs ) and Psy is godly at running an RtD (Pioneers. Enough said.)
Foa wrote:
Eh, dropping out, too confused.

Why not ask questions about issues? Me, keb and Psy talked quite a bit last night via Steam to help me with background information so I could better make my colony an Imperial colony.
Foa wrote:

In my opinion, the stats are just right. Remember, they aren't just going to be stats, but also the base level of your technology when it comes to different categories or the amount of something brought along in the case of cargo holds and population.

Destiny was going to be even more complex with a separate land, air, naval and space military categories. Agriculture was going to be divided into primary food production, secondary food production (livestock) and luxury foods.

My only want is an extra two points so I can get level 2 cargo hold and level 2 education. But they are purely icing on the cake.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:04 pm
Profile WWW

I was sick last night, and it showed in my reduced ability to actually discuss things like a human being.

Foa appears to be the only one with serious misgivings about the point-buy system, so I don't plan to tear down or utterly rework everything I can if she's already departed from the game.

Corrective edits to close a few loopholes, the elimination or merger of an unused category or two, and clearer mechanics descriptions may be in order - as it stands, however, I only know of my botched handling of Education/R&D differentiation and some of the more unfortunate implications of T5 Cargo tech.

Hit me or Psygnosis up if you have any questions or major concerns that demand attention. I go by Toposophic on Steam.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:17 pm
Loose Canon

Foa wrote:

The only consensus actually reached was that it needs a Manufacturing stat.
There are mixed feelings on all sides about various stats needing splitting or clarification, but no strong agreement.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:29 pm
Profile WWW

And a manufacturing stat, yeah. It was already written when the OP was posted and managed to slip out of memory. That'll be added with a few edits.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:39 pm

(OP has been edited to include the missing stat, Pardon our Dust)
Quote:
clarification

Apologies For this, OP v1.0 was eaten by a Chrome crash (♥♥♥♥ planetside2) which resulted in a rewrite at 6:30am.

Thus i bring you clarification.

Size; Provides some basic abilites to your craft
Note 1 & 2 are not transatmospheric.
Modular; cheaper to upgrade
Aerodyne; Aerodynamic style, requires a runway to land.
Sphereoid; Spherical / Raindrop shape (both this and above are battletech terms)

Speed;
Straightline acceleration / deceleration

Mobility:
Turn rate and in-combat dodge chance (the latter is affected by military quality)

Weaponry;
Various stats are given to each weapon, However these are also boosted by military quality and sensors.

Armour
gives either a deflection chance, or straight up mitigation (or both #5) each also has a durability.

Hull Construction
Also called Hull integrity, this is the core HP of the vessel, loose this and the ship is a could of scrap metal.

Sensors; Range (Communication, Detection, Analysis) Quality of return (radar, optical, infrared, Electromagnetic) Electronic Warfare capabilities (Military stat applies) Cryptology (Education stat applies)

Extraction;
This is the raw output and quality of minerals and metals mined from planets. (The latter is also affected by sensors)

Refining
Quality that can be processed and the quality of resulting goods.

Manufacturing;
Speed at which objects can be manufactured and their wastage.

Agriculture
Quality and Volume of food that can be cultivated or is pre-loaded aboard the ship.

Education:
Provides a small boost to efficiency and longevity of colonists (thats right timmy, sticking your head in the reactor while its turned on is not a good way to check for leaks!)

Culture;
This is what citizen morale is based upon, and their loyalty to their lands of origin. This also provides small bonuses wherever jolly co-operation is required on large scales.

(While Education focuses on the individual, culture focuses on the many)

Medical;
Colonist longevity is increased also prevents the spread of disease and infection (along with its affects on morale/efficiency)

Living quarters
Also known as Habitation, this affects colony morale and by extension efficiency

Cargohold;
How much can you fit in your colony and the logistics of doing so. Later levels increase the goods you start with.

Military;
Effectiveness of your armed forces. Each level is fairly self explanatory.

SCIENCE!
The speed at which you can research projects, and the quality of said research.

Population;
The sheer size of the population.

Last edited by Psygnosis on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:28 am

Turn one; What does it mean?

GagarinX-1961
Modular craft Gagarin closes in on the two stars fiercely orbiting each other arcs of plasma rip from one to the other filling the area with wild magnetic fluctuations and exotic materials.
The closest orbiting object is a swirling ball of dark gasses, sensors read strong weather effects at an atmospheric level however fail to penetrate deeper. Mass categorization places it as Asteroid level.

Further out a more stable planet is detected however it is totally lacking atmosphere. With no atmospheric interference the sensors return very strong readings of large metal and mineral deposits. Low resolution imagery depicts a mars like topology with great mountains and valleys.

Behind this, the third planet is a massive gas giant, possessing no real atmosphere great waves and weather formations reach out from the planet and leave a wake around the stars. Its orbital path is laden with micro-meteorites condensed in the heart of the planet and shot out by its immense forces. Your sensors read these micro-meteorites as incredibly pure minerals mixed with occasional high metal content.

Two more planets stretch back into the space beyond however your sensors detect little through the stars radiation and the 3rd planets trail of mineral dust.

The news spreads like wildfire throughout the colony via the use of personal media. Several popular personalities have begun their attempts to name the new planets.
The science team stands ready, absorbing every scrap of information the sensors return of the planets.

DRON##@
The Neutron star to the human eye is tiny white hot glowing disc of matter. To the ships sensors, it is a giant of incredibly powerful radiation as its own immense gravity collapses almost all matter that comes into contact with it to sub atomic particles. Scientists observe that its not the stars diminished fuel that causes the lack of light but that the light simply cannot escape the gravity at work.

The nearest stable orbital exists far from the star itself a tiny desert planet with a thick dry atmosphere. Sub surface its mineral content is roughly earth like, while metal content is rare. Despite the stars best attempts it appears forces are at work on the surface maintaining the planets atmosphere, some form of eco-system at work.

Orbiting the planet a small asteroid sized object. This too boasting its own thick atmosphere, below that a cold wet marshland covers the moonlet. With moderate mineral coverage and thin metals it represents another avenue for colonization but leaves little for the refineries and extraction teams.

Beyond that as the stars heat quickly falls off a frozen ball of ice maintains a languid orbit, Terran normal atmosphere wraps the planet, but does little in face of such pitiful heat. Resources are scarce adding nothing more to the planet.

The final planet in the system is a standard Terran planet, or was formerly, Through the stars death its atmosphere has transformed into a thick maisma of minerals shards that distort and interfere with ground side detection at this range.

Long-range sensor suites are slowly picking up more information on the 4th planet as gaps in the weather formations allow good data returns however at such a distance it is slow going.

IEF Conquest

According to what i can see youve only spent 3 additional points into culture. Size+2, Hull+1, Sensors+1, Extraction+1 Refning+1 Agri+1 Culture+3 = 10.

The IEF Conquest a traditional style military and civilian ship arrives at the main sequence star designated Sol.214 by imperial cartographers.

The first planet orbiting the star is an impressive sight, Both the planet and the moon are wrapped in a dust cloud of atomized materials playing havok with the sensor suite the Terran normal topography of the main planet with a thick atmosphere returns sensor readings indicating a high metal content. What makes the planet more interesting is the moon orbiting it.

Due to the weak gravity of its parent planet the moon orbits a long distance from the planet in an elliptical orbit, a thick hot atmosphere wraps the desert moon. Sensors detect strange, regular radio patterns however due to the gas cloud are unable to receive clear proof of their origin.

Further out another planet orbits, out side of the cloud, this one has a terran normal atmosphere with strong weather patterns, green growth covers over 60% of the planets visible surface.
The moon orbiting this has a hot, thick atmosphere concealing the only planet nearing 1.0g in this system.

UKNS Pagoe
Exploring the furthest reaches of the sectors main sequence stars the ship arrives in safety. Bristling with guns at the ready they find a fairly quiet system with 3 planetary bodies.

The first two planets are a pair that approach Terran normal standards, if it wasnt for the fact they orbit each other in a shared orbit. Both possess thick atmospheres, One with lower gravity has a thick terran normal, while the other with higher gravity has a thick cold atmosphere.

Further out a snow covered planet slowly orbits the star thin atmosphere and sub-zero temperatures leave for a hostile barren planet.

Last edited by Psygnosis on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:24 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Looks like you were right, I must've trailed off somewhere. Take one point from ship size and shift that over to culture, that way I can keep my buff and it's still very early in the game so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Scan the terran-like world for good settling places, preferably grassland with good access to water.
>Once found, start landing key colony development personnel while keeping a skeleton crew onboard.
>Send down critical supplies for the foundation of the colony. Raw materials and food/water.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

Psygnosis wrote:
Cargohold;
How much can you fit in your colon and the logistics of doing so.

Sir I'm pretty sure we don't allow those types of games on this forum.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:15 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
Psygnosis wrote:
Cargohold;
How much can you fit in your colon and the logistics of doing so.

Sir I'm pretty sure we don't allow those types of games on this forum.

Oh i hear all about your shadowrun game on IRC.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:21 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

This message is going out to the Empire and to the crew.

"The colony ship has arrived at it's destination and is heading to a Terran-like world, now designated Frey. It's surface is mostly covered in plant life and there are other objects in system of scientific interest and it has a moon, called, Ostara. IEF Conquest out."

Gonna name all my planets.

Quote:
The first planet orbiting the star is an impressive sight, Both the planet and the moon are wrapped in a dust cloud of atomized materials playing havoc with the sensor suite the Terran normal topography of the main planet with a thick atmosphere returns sensor readings indicating a high metal content.

This one shall be Woden.
Quote:
Due to the weak gravity of its parent planet the moon orbits a long distance from the planet in an elliptical orbit, a thick hot atmosphere wraps the desert moon. Sensors detect strange, regular radio patterns however due to the gas cloud are unable to receive clear proof of their origin.

This shall be Tiw, god of war.

And the gas cloud shall be... Frige.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:36 pm
Profile WWW

>Vector near the fourth planet and begin low-orbit surveys of surface conditions, sweeping for cracks in the dust storm with conventional optics and extended spectrum tools.

>>Weld a few layers of extra heat shielding onto both survey pods. Ferry as many colonists and supplies as possible to a polar and an equatorial dropsite, respectively. The colonists should focus colony construction around small bunkers in the drop terrain and erect sensor arrays for collecting environmental data.

>Begin assembly of four communications satellites equipped with our advanced systems. If one is completed this cycle, kick it out into high orbit over the ex-terran world.

Last edited by TheKebbit on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:13 am

So there are no colonizable planets in my system?

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:21 am
Profile WWW

Anything is colonizable.

Just not necessarily Earthlike. You can always drop a token population to develop here before jetting to sink your teeth into another system, one which might have biomes more to your liking.

(You've also got two planets you know jack squat about.)

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:24 am

> Examine the remaining two planets in the star system.

> Propose to the population that we settle one of the planetary bodies here before making our way to the yellow star system closer to human lines, where we may find more hospitable planet types. Allow them to choose which planets to colonize through a vote, to see which spikes their scientific curiosity. Use the Gas Giant as a fallback.

> Once that issue is settled, commence colonization and set up communications so we can stay in touch during our voyage.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next