View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Roll to Dodge - Fantasy 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Roll to Dodge - Fantasy
I'm in a writing mood so fierce right now that I actually forgot that I hadn't fully started this thing yet.

Characters, please.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:10 pm
Profile WWW

In case others don't post their characters any time soon.

Name : Seppo Ilmarinen
Race : Dwarf
Faction : The Kingdom of Glinrock Mountain
Traits : Dwarven Resilience, Smithing Excellence
Appearance :
Dwarf Fortress wrote:
A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
He has the appearance of somebody that is eighty-six years old.
His medium-length sideburns are neatly combed. His very long moustache is arranged in double braids. His medium-length beard is braided. His very long hair is arranged in double braids. He is average in size. His slightly rounded turquoise eyes have very large irises. His teeth are tangled. His lips are thick. His nose bridge is convex. His eyebrows are low. His somewhat short ears are broad. His pink skin is slightly wrinkled. His hair is raw umber with a touch of grey.
He is almost never sick, incredibly tough, mighty, incredibly quick to heal, and slow to tire.
Seppo Ilmarinen likes rhyolite, iron, blue jade, cuttlefish leather, pig tail fiber fabric, suns, floodgates, sheep for their tendency to flock and rope reeds for their precise lines. When possible, he prefers to consume elk, seahorse, swamp whiskey and quarry bush leaves. He absolutely detests mosquitos.
He has a great creativity, a great feel for the surrounding space, good intuition, a good memory and a way with words, but he has a meager kinesthetic sense and a poor ability to manage or understand social relationships.
He is often nervous. He tends to avoid crowds. He is often cheerful.

Background : The first thing Seppo remembers is smashing a hammer down on a hot piece of iron. He was under the tutelage of his mentor, Surma Kullervo. He didn't know much about his past, and never had much time to ask. He worked hard every day in their private workshop, forging at the request of individuals willing to pay fair sums.
Work didn't stay this way, however. Many larger blacksmith organizations were able to mass produce objects, and were slowly driving us out of business.
Seppo awoke one day to find the shop empty. Surma was nowhere to be found; all that remained was a key on a table. Seppo did his best to hold the shop together and wait for Surma to return, but he never did. Soon the shop was torn down by debt collectors, and Seppo had to leave the mountain to escape their mounting debts and make his way on his own.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:44 am
Profile WWW

Name: Ashurbanipal III
Race: dwarf
The kingdom of Glinrock Mountain
Traits: affinity for machinery, smithing excellence
Appearance: he is a short, even for dwarven standards, bulky man with a great, deep red beard flowing from his face. His eyes are almost black, the sclera being the only differential part of it. His hair is medium length, without any form of combing or grooming seen, however clean. He is commonly seen with a pair of glasses to enhance his vision, as he tries to enable himself to pick out flaws in his works more easily. Some question his dazed appearance; nobody knows whether he is zoned out of reality, or on drugs of some sort.
Background: He was known as Ashi to most. All through his schooling years, he was teased about his young age (having skipped several grades) and his short height. Although he have little care to the teasers, this is what motivated him to work his body to near perfection. Ashi was born into a long line of metalsmiths of various assortments, his father being a well known goldsmith. At an early age, he discovered his brilliance with mechanics and crafts. He built his first coal powered engine at age 16, and his first solar cell engine at age 22. He continued through his schooling, coming out second in his class (only losing by .0047 points) at age 30, just before his next birthday. It was now that he had developed a well known reputation as smith that could repair and build the toughest and highest quality weaponry around .
At current times, he is a well known miner and metalsmith of his town. Well known here, however, does not always mean understood or accepted. There were few people he could call friends. Most people only talked to him when they required the best gear, and there was no other option. They say that he had a quaint feel about him, like he is constantly zoned from reality, and is in his own worldly adventures.
His only family now consists of his father, mother, and his true friend Pno.

Sorry about the wait and any errors this might have. I retyped this on my phone.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:01 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I'm tempted to the Fourth Dwarf, and pull resilient pertrolwerker, or advanced fragmenter.

Name: [Something]
Race: Deft Elven Dancer > Axin > Mage Caste
Traits: [Another Thing]
Background: [Last Thing]

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:19 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Blimey there are a lot of dwarves.

No love for Merchants, though. Or the Empire :(

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

caekdaemon wrote:
Blimey there are a lot of dwarves.

No love for Merchants, though. Or the Empire :(

I was going to be a merchant, or a petrolwerker, but that'd be silly.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:44 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Foa wrote:
I was going to be a merchant, or a petrolwerker, but that'd be silly.

How so?

With Petrolwerks you can make a chainsaw, or a motorcycle. Or some other engine based object.

And merchants with the guild connections can get quick gear as well as some unique items only attainable by that way. Same thing with True Prayer for the Terris.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I could go with being a shock trooper, but I feel inadequate to others that seemingly could disassemble, and be capable of reassembling the special machines I make. Or with a group that I have a better idea of than the Mage Axin.

I'm just going to play by ear.
Also, what would be a neat naming convention for Axin?
Also, is an Axin a sub-race of elves? I feel as though I'm ♥♥♥♥ up again.

Name: [Something]
Race: (Deft Elven Dancer? >) Axin > Mage Caste
Traits: [Another Thing]
Background: [Last Thing]

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Please don't take too long for this.

Axin are a different species, by the way. No trait combination goes.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:42 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Axin aren't a sub race of Elves, no. For the most part, they age much, much faster than a regular human. They are equivalent to twenty years old at five years, and usually die of old age by 40.

There are no fifty year old Axin. Atleast, none of them known. Your trait is your caste. When the game starts, you'll receive a trait pack relating to your caste choice. It's harder for you to gain new traits, physical ones anyway.

Axin names are structured based on concepts and groups. Even though Axin society is hive structured, the castes do have their own individual sects based on the way they do their task. For example, some Hunters hunt using webs, others using trapdoors and others with leaping based surprise attacks.

That'll take their last name. For first name, it's a concept of something relating to their caste. Mages can have colors or other things in there aswell.

So, three examples,
Bloodshed Loneblade - Warrior caste. Loneblade in this case means that they use swords but prefer to work alone or only use one.
Silent Webtrapper - Hunter caste. Webtrapper means they'll quickly set up webs in the middle of a fight to trap enemies or to block their path of retreat.
Energetic Longfighter - Mage caste. Longfighter means they'll be fighting from a distance.

Actually, have a few more. There can be a "the" between the first and last name if desired.
Slaughter Whirlwind - Fast attacks with small weaponry to overwhelm an enemy.
Darkness the Jumper - Means they'll leap at a target across a distance to pin them to the ground, then kill them.
Light the Lifefighter - Lifefighter can mean that they are either healers or healer-fighters.

Lots of variation available!

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Well, I figured out who I want to be my character.
My dream involved someone named Orange, some angry android I had angry sex with after getting in a scuffle or something.
She had a sword, and apparently liked to get personal. Even if they are dealing with a Martial Artist.
One of us was stabbed in the face, through it, or something.

Name: Orange the Deftdancer
Race: Axin > Mage Caste
Traits: She has a small and lithe figure, and is generally a head shorter than others, even in a human body. Her skin is a flat tan; her hair is white and shorn, and it's recently come to encroach on her ears. Her lower body starts around her pelvic ridges, and prothorax which seems to be from the Reduvius Personatus species. The common posture in this form is to have the fore, and mid legs by the sides of prothorax whilst the hind legs reach far back, standing near the end of her abdomen. The chitin is generally dark colored, through and through, but is generally covered in a layer of dust, or sand.
Background: Her first name comes from her fixating orange eyes, and preponderance towards medium contrast of her chitinous lower body with orange, and beige. [INC]

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:46 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Thanks to there being six characters, surprise finished sprites.

They don't look good, but getting better from there would require a insane investment of time. Besides, I plan to carry the story with writing, not sprites. Still, of you want your sprite adjusted a bit, just ask now before I start the RtD on the eighth.

Amboss is bigger than Ashi because his description lists him as being giant by dwarven standards and Ashi as being small by their standards. I tried to make Pill seem more round. For Amras, I had to improvise a few details like eye color.

Also, @Foa, a little trouble with the white hair color and getting the correct skin tone, but it looks alright.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Since there have been no objections to sprites, let us proceed!

Maart3n/Amras Culnámo
[0] Amras was on the hunt. A petty mob boss this time, with the hit placed on him by a member of the city guard who lost his family thanks to the mob. The poor fool didn't know that he was being tracked as Amras creeped across the rooftops. As he turned to his home to put the key in, Amras had his chance. He jumped from the roof of the boss's own home, conjuring a dagger as he fell forward. He slammed into the spine of the boss who, with a scream, fell forward, the blade digging into his flesh, then disappearing. Amras must've hit an artery as the blood poured from his body.

He turned to leave, but for some reason the sky must've been dark for he saw only darkness. Stepping forward cautiously, he reappeared in another place with a number of people he didn't recognize. Never to mind the black ball distorting light with weird dots around it.

Race : Elf
Factions
Sikhari Elves,
Inventory
Clothes - Equipped.
Traits
Blade Dancing I - Ignore an enemy's shield when attacking. This ability is toggled on and off. Excessive use in long bursts can result in fatigue. With time, you'll get used to the excessive demands required of it and the fatigue penalty will lessen.
Conjuration Magic I - You can summon an assortment of items. They'll remain stable for thirty or so seconds. They aren't very powerful, but with practice Conjuration will increase in strength.
Abilities
Summon Weapon I - You can summon a weapon at any time you need. They won't be too deadly, but they'll get the job done. They'll last thirty or so seconds.
Summon Armour I - If needed, you can summon weak armour which'll last only a short time. Still, it will help if you are about to be attacked.
Summon NPC I - Sometimes you just need a distraction. You can conjure a weak creature to fight at your side for a short time.
Stats
Health : Good

Kebbit/Bitter Pill the Observing
[0] Bitter Pill hovered and looked at the book. That is if you can consider gazing upon an object while you have no eyes to be looking. It drifted over to it and looked within itself to see if it knew what this book was.

No, it did not. That meant only one thing.

It must be learnt.

The Wraith drawed the book into the inside of it's form and rapidly flipped through the pages, learning all from it's cover. The book was titled, "A Beginners guide to Music," but what was music? What was a beginner? What is a guide?

Bitter Pill must learn this. Devouring the knowledge of the book, it learnt swiftly. Sound. Sound is music. Music is good. Bitter Pill could create music.

Bitter Pill then turned it's attention to trying to create what it learnt. It created sound. A harsh, deafening wail, fluctuating in pitch from high to low. Bitter Pill was proud.

Bitter Pill had learnt and created music. It sensed more knowledge nearby, in a strange construct of wood filled with more books in the room next to this one. Bitter Pill however, sensed something more odd.

It sensed nothing. A black void next to it. It glided over to this strange nothingness to learn of it's emptiness.

Within an instant, Bitter Pill was somewhere else, surrounded by the unknown.

Race : Wraith
Factions
Observers,
Knowledge
Sound I - The knowledge of what sound is. You can produce ear ruining wails of sound. Or you can create low hums. A you learn more about sound you'll be able to control sound better, perhaps even be able to talk like the physicals can.
Traits
Observer I - You are an Observer, a Wraith in the physical plane. You are noncorporeal and lack a physical form in the traditional sense. But you can still be harmed. You gain power and size by learning of new things. Explore the world, read books and more to gain more power. You can create the things you learn, but some things can only be learned by a greater Observer.
Form Shifting I - Whereas conjurers create items, you become them. Your power is not increased by the transition, it is just represented differently. You can hold the shifted form indefinitely, but the quality of your transition will increase as you gain power, as well as by practice.
Abilities
Become Weapon I - If desired, you can become a weapon that other people can use. At your current strength, you are quite weak but it would still be better than fighting bare handed. As your size and skill increases, so will the power of your weapon form.
Become Armour I - When you become armour, the armour is truly alive. Do not fear, though, if the armour is struck you won't take damage, instead, the stability of your armour form will decrease. For now, your armour is weak, but you can cover the entire body of a person by spreading out.
Formshift I - Whenever you want, you can turn into anything you have learnt. The power of that form is linked to your own power. Only with practice and growth will you become truly great.
Observer Projection I - Once you have learnt something, you can create it as needed. For now, the quantity is small and the quality poor...But time improves all things.
Observer Mindbreak I - By forcing yourself onto the senses of a sentient being, you can show them flashes of the true forms of things you have learnt. As you learn more things, your ability to break minds will only improve.
Stats
Integrity - Good

TorrentHKU/Amboss Symphonian
[0] "It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!" Amboss rejoiced as the Lead Golem he had just created took it's first steps around the lab. It had already recognized him as it's creator and now it was his willing and eager servant. It was barely even sentient however, more like a dog than a dwarf. Still, it could carry the other things around. He sent it off to grab another dozen bars of lead. They were heavy to carry but thankfully the Golem could carry dozens of them. Dumping them into the furnace to melt and getting another mold ready, he was about to create another one.

He turned to his work bench and saw his Lead golem staring at a strange dark void in the air. The golem, instinctively trying to protect his master, punched the void. The void however, simply pulled the golem in by the hand. Amboss too was pulled in and thrown out on top of his golem in a forested clearing with a number of other people and a flying dark ball.

Factions
The Deeplands,
Inventory
Clothes, - Equipped
Golems
Lead Golem I - Status : Intact, Quality : Average, Attack power - 6 to 12.
Traits
Affinity for Machinery I - All dwarves have the ability to glance at a machine and guess how it works. But some are more gifted at it than others. Your natural affinity for machinery means that you can dismantle and recreate objects that you have seen. Of course, practice makes perfect and this is no exception.
Golemworks I - Creating a golem, a living machine, is a difficult task. Only few are capable, and fewer still are truly great at it. For now, you can produce simple cast-metal golems. But the more you create, the better they'll get!
Abilities
Create Golem I - With the proper resources at hand as well as the proper tools and with your expertise, you can create a golem. All you need is the materials and a half decent forge. Still, they are quite crude. For now, anyway.
Create/Dismantle machine I - When glancing at an object, it can be quite clear how that object came into existence. A few screw holes here, a weld there all tell the story of how an object came to be. It also says how an object can be taken apart. As you practice dismantling objects, you'll get more usable parts from the dismantled ones and the created ones will be better.
Stats
Health : Good,

CaveCricket48/Paladin Amelia Oaks
[0] Amelia gazed across the empty fields. There was nothing left for her here but questions and memories. The family she knew and loved when young was gone, long gone now. Why did the Gods forsake her service? Were they displeased at her?

She started to walk back to Terrisar, contemplating why her Gods, the Gods that she swore to fight for, the Gods that were kind and generous in all the stories, had abandoned her family in their hour of need. Surely if the Gods were kind, which they were, they'd have helped her? She looked up to the heavens and asked, "Why have you abandoned me?"

As if on cue, a darkness overtook her. She immediately started to pray for mercy from the gods, but no smiting came, nor any visions of miracles like the priests. Or anything for that matter. Her trained senses betrayed her, there was truly nothing around. Then she was thrown forward, landing in some forest clearing surrounded by others and a young Wraith that must've only manifested a short time ago.

Race : Human
Factions
The Kingdom of Terris,
The Order of Paladins,
Inventory
Clothes - Equipped
Paladin Surcoat - Equipped.
Traits
Robust I - Humans are famed across the world for their sheer survivability. Blows that would stop other species dead in their tracks will in most cases only cripple a human. All damage taken is down by one, in addition to above average injury healing and partial immunity to instant kill attacks. To improve this trait, you must train your body by being hurt.
Holy Reading I - The Order of the Paladin's has always taught the ancient art of Holy Reading, the ability to see into other people's thoughts so as to find out the truth behind their words. For those without practice, however, the thoughts can be clouded and in some cases, they can resist the reading altogether.
Abilities
Holy Reading I - Some may question the offensive usage of Holy Reading. After all, how is reading a person's mind useful in a fight? The answer is that it allows you to know what their next action will be before they do it. An early warning you can pass onto your team mates, for instance.

Offendo/Ashurbanipal III
[0] Ashi took a look at his latest creation. It was a sword commissioned by a local lord. It was strong and well decorated for a lord of importance. A large ruby sat in it's pommel, a display of wealth from the Lord. Still, it was a good sword, balanced and hardy. He took a few steps back and fell into...something?

Or nothing?

Ashi looked around, desperately thinking that something bad may have happened. He was surrounded in a black darkness and falling constantly. What was this?

The strange darkness released it's grasp on him and he saw the light again, this time in a forested clearing far from home. A group of people were here, none of them he recognized. That, and a similar darkness to the one that took him, this one hovering in the air and distorting all the light he saw.

Factions
Glinrock Mountain
Inventory
Clothes - Equipped
Glasses - Equipped
Traits
Affinity for Machinery I - All dwarves have the ability to glance at a machine and guess how it works. But some are more gifted at it than others. Your natural affinity for machinery means that you can dismantle and recreate objects that you have seen. Of course, practice makes perfect and this is no exception.
Smithing Excellence I - You have started on the long path of excellence that is metal working. You can already craft Common gear like a professional and never have to worry about a Poor piece of work. Indeed, you can create strong weapons and armour with suitable material, as well as repairing anything Uncommon or below!
Abilities
Create/Dismantle machine I - When glancing at an object, it can be quite clear how that object came into existence. A few screw holes here, a weld there all tell the story of how an object came to be. It also says how an object can be taken apart. As you practice dismantling objects, you'll get more usable parts from the dismantled ones and the created ones will be better.
Repair item I - With time, things break or wear down. Swords aren't as sharp as they used to be, armor plates become loose or other problems. With some care, it is possible to repair items in the field with simple tools. In the case of a Poor item, it is upgraded back to Normal quality. Other items when repaired will stop any quality decay.
Create Item I - The functional side of Smithing Excellence allows you to create an item if you have the materials and the tools available. As with all other things, practice makes perfect and with time you'll be able to produce truly legendary weapons and armour.
Stats
Health : Good,

Foa/Orange the Deftdancer
[0] Orange was walking through the forest. She was comfortable in her natural form, not having to be cramped up in the strangeness that is only two legs. Still, it was nice to be away from Skaxin for a short time. Whereas the Worker caste were chemically bound to stay near the Hive, the Hunters, Warriors and Mages were free to wander. Orange had decided to go and see this forest. It was a relaxing place, not tight or cramped like the Hive, but open and green. She took a look around.

A beautiful flower, large and white, just in front of a great tree. She stepped forward to pick it.

Then the darkness took her. The light forest was replaced by an eternal darkness. Which inturn was replaced with a forest once more, this time however she was surrounded by a group of unknown people, a strange ball of...something and that she was in her human form.

Race : Axin
Factions
Skaxin
Inventory
Clothes - Equipped,
Traits
Mage Caste I - The caste system of the Axin is a key defining feature of their society, and you are a member of the Mage Caste. You have the natural ability to channel magical energies freely. Where as the Warriors and Hunters might be bigger, you are small, but with the ability to cast spells, just as deadly. The Mage caste tend to have small bodies and be lightly armoured, but are well suited to fighting from the rear of the party. The caste system cripples any physical development past the constraints of your caste, but each caste member comes fairly well developed. No one knows how a caste member develops... Except you, a member of that caste.
Channeling I - Whereas the other magical races create new energies, you use what is already there. At the roots of it all, every object is slightly magical. By channeling the existing magic power of an object, you can wield their power to smite your foes. For example, a humble torch on the wall of a castle is magical, but only very faintly. With it's power channeled, it can become a roaring blaze to turn your adversaries to ashes. Practice this ability well and be prepared for changing situations.
Pacts I - Be cautious, for the Pacts are truly dangerous. No one knows how the Axin learnt of them, but a few whisper of demonic sorcery and blood magic. You have the unique ability of creating one of these pacts and reaping the rewards. But remember, each pact comes with a price. Pacts are passive buffs. Accepting the pact means accepting the potential consequences of your actions. The pacts are a ladder, but how deep does the ladder go? All pacts are permanent - once you seal a deal you can not back out.
Acrobatic I - Describing an Axin as acrobatic is something of a mistake, but it's the only word we have in our language for the physical feats that a Axin is capable of. At this level, you can walk on walls and stay on them. Ceilings however, are just out of your reach. You can sprint at a high speed for a long time and can climb steep cliffs.
Abilities
Channeling I - You can take the inherent magical power of the land around you and coerce it into doing your bidding. Simply put, you can get the world to do your bidding. But at this point, it will only do a little of what you ask. You must practice and grow to be able to force the world to heed your commands.
Form Toggle - You can switch in and out of your humanoid form at any time you want. There is no cool down or other things associated with this ability.
Pacts
Pact of Blood - By sealing this pact, you gain the ability to take the life force of an enemy and redirect it to your team-mates or yourself whenever you deal damage. The price for this isn't inflicted on you, but on the people you harm who forever lose a part of themselves for all eternity.
Pact of Steel - If you seal this pact, you can with but a touch warp the items of those around you, or direct the curse from a distance. These items are a dark mirror of their normal version. Who knows what might happen when used? Those who wield this dark equipment will themselves start to warp with time, for good or ill.
Stats
Health - Good,

Game Events

The six people have been brought to some unknown forest by a strange portal. What has brought them here is unknown, but Bitter Pill senses something nearby. A container of wood and iron, with a note.

Game Map

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:54 pm
Profile WWW

Take a few silent steps back and conjure a Karambit like knife behind my back.
Say nothing just yet, stand and observe.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Just to clarify, you aren't naked :p

It's just that I'm pretty bad at spriting. Consider it that your clothes are vests and trousers or something of that line.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next