View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:42 pm



Reply to topic  [ 3845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 257  Next
 Ad Infidium (Roll 307) - ON HOLD TEMPORARILY 
Author Message
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 4496
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 10)
>Put plan into action.

>Locate source of cobblestone; Inquire about local quarries and the like.

>Whenever possible, take a stroll back to the road and clean up further.


Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 10424
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 11)
Roll 11



Name: John Freemaneth (TorrentHKU)
Race: Human
____________________

P’orihc: "I expected as much. Let's see what can be done!"

"She wasn't kidding. Well, maybe I can still glean something."

You grab Magic Weapons and Constructs, find a comfortable place to sit, and get reading.

The book starts with a brief history lesson.

Magic constructs would not have ever been invented if it wasn’t for the corruption event long ago, resulting in beasts that were capable of immense magic power. The slaying and studying of the beasts led to the discovery of crystallized masses inside that were capable of storing magic energy, as well as veins that acted as magic canals that focused and directed the magic. Experiments were soon done to see if the parts of the corrupted beasts could be extracted and assembled into autonomous casting constructs, and with time the experiments yielded results. Magic scholars learned how to synthesize the crystal cores (which were often called “Mage stones” or “Mana stones”) and veins, and made weapons that allowed the humans, chirop, and lupus to reclaim much of the land from the beasts.

All magic constructs have the same basic components:
-Power source
-Mana sparker
-Circuitry (“veins”)
-Focusing crystal
-Release crystal

The power source is exactly what it sounds like: A source of mana. Mana stones by themselves, natural and artificial, are unable to release energy without an initial, small jolt of mana or electricity.

The mana sparker is responsible for providing the initial jolt of energy to get the power source to release mana.

The circuitry is a system of veins that connects all of the components together, and contains gates that control the flow of magic in particular patterns for complex constructs.

The focusing crystal is used to shape the magic energy into a useful form, such as thermics/kinetics/electric.

The release crystal is where the spell and its necessary energy are contained until the user is ready to cast.

With the exception of an electric mana sparker, all components have to be synthesized with magic, and the book doesn’t quite explain how to do that, though it does have some detailed blueprints of some simple constructs.

-Torch: A rod that produces a continuous flame as long as it has energy, operated with a physical switch.

-Levitator: A plate that, when activated, lifts all objects above it, height specified with a dial.

-Motor: A simple device that creates rotational force on an object without physical contact needed.

-Cutter: A blade that enhances its cutting power with kinetics.

-Shooter: A pipe that launches whatever is inside upon activation.
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 4/4
Mana: 4/4
AP: 3/3

Cut: 11/40 (Patched up)
Strength -11 => -7
Evasion -11 => -7



Name: Kleigg (TheKebbit)
Race: Human
____________________

You exit the temple and flag down the nearest passerby, a hard-working man by the looks of it, and asked what happened.

Man: ”You from the other side of the ocean or somethin’? After the Equilibrium war, all of Caelum’s mons were burned down around here.”

Mons? That must be what they call the temples.

Man: ”There’s still a lot of bad blood between the lord and what’s left of the religious sects’ members, I’d suggest you don’t poke your nose into the shenanigans else you want to lose your head.”

The man heads off, continuing on his way.
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 4/4
Mana: 4/4
AP: 3/3



Name: Wolf (Areku)
Race: Lupus
____________________

You walk around town, inquiring about local quarries and the such. You learn that there’s a mine a short distance to the North, and they have free loads of stone as long as you cart it away yourself. The Anri river is right to the west of the town, plenty of sand, and the town produces a fair amount of pitch to make mortar, though the pitch ain’t free.

After your info hunt, you head back to the road and clear it up a bit more, earning another 12 copper from travellers. All the physical labour is also good exercise, and you feel a bit beefier from the time spent unearthing grass.
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 8/8
Mana: 2/2
AP: 2/2



Name: P’orihc (Asklar)
Race: Chirop
____________________

P’orihc: "I expected as much. Let's see what can be done!"

John: "She wasn't kidding. Well, maybe I can still glean something."

You pick up Basic Magic Theory, get comfy, and start reading.

The book first explains several theories on how magic works.

The first, called the Spirit Theory, was composed long ago and is not maintained as an accurate theory, but still taught for the sake of history. It states that unseen entities, spirits, are manipulators of magic, with humans, chirop, and lupus naturally possessing a spirit. It was believed that only living beings, or the lingering spirits of once-living beings, could use magic. The theory was disproved with the invention of magic constructs, and research into electricity, which is a physical phenomenon, not a magic one, and can interact with magic.

The second theory, called the Dual Particle Theory, or the Light-Dark Theory, is the longest believed theory and is still maintained as accurate, but recent research suggests that it may not be entirely true. This one is based on the belief that physical matter is composed of many, tiny base units, and that magic works the same way. The basic unit of magic is composed of two particles, one Light and one Dark. When the particle is in an uncharged state, both aspects are in contact and motionless. When the particle is charged, a force holds the particles apart. Releasing the force causes the particles to slam back together, and the impact releases energy that can affect physical matter, with Light energy applying a positive force such as heat/acceleration, and Dark energy applying a negative force such as cold/deceleration. Special organs located in the brains of organisms are specifically developed to utilize electricity to manipulate magic and select Light or Dark to use in a cast.

The third theory, Fabric Theory, is the most recent, with new studies still being performed. Instead of magic being a discrete quantity of particles, Fabric Theory states that there is a single, immense “fabric” that is everywhere, but only certain parts of it are in contact with the physical world. Those contact points are where magic interacts with physical matter. The “fabric,” despite being called so, is believed to be a fourth or higher dimensional substance, and it “stretches” in one of the higher dimensions to store energy, and “retracts” to release it. Light and Dark are different dimensional directions of pull, and Negation is a force that disconnects the fabric from the physical world, nullifying magic. The fabric is automatically attracted to specific materials or forces, which is how certain materials seem to be able to store magic energy, and how electricity can manipulate magic to a degree.

After the confusing theory explanations, the book moves on to basic magic operations.
Usage of magic is broken down in four basic steps:

Gather: Mana is gathered from the user’s innate reservoirs or an external source.

Focus: The mana is focused into a particular aspect, Light or Dark, and then further into a branch (thermics, kinetics, electric, etc.)

Coordinate: A spell is constructed, usually a well-practiced scheme that organizes the magic into something useful (Thermics to fire/ice, kinetics to impulse/fortification, electric to telepathic/lightning).

Cast: The magic is released and its effects begin.

Because the process of focusing magic into a particular branch is handled by a physical part of the brain, learning new magic branches take immense practice for the body to adapt itself to properly use a new branch. Magic capability is also a commonly inherited trait if the parents’ have a natural affinity for it.

With practice, one can also skip the focus and coordination phases, expelling raw magic energy. While not a useful ability by itself, it is a required skill to store mana externally.
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 2/2
Mana: 8/8
AP: 2/2



Name: Ki’stha (Roast Veg)
Race: Chirop
____________________

You find a bread stall run by an old woman.

"I'm looking for work."

Old Woman: ”We could always use an extra hand on the farm, milling grain and tending to the animals. Farm’s East of the town, Gregory should be there, ask him you’re looking for work.”

Thanking the woman, you head to the east, and on the edge of town you see the farm she’s talking about, also the same farm you happened to wake up in. Heading over to the barn house, you see the same pitchfork-wielding man there moving straw from a wheelbarrow to one of the stalls.

"I'm looking for work."

Gregory: ”Same bat-ears from earlier, eh? Well, I suppose we could use a hand around’ere. There’s a load of grain in the windmill, shovel it into the mill, collect it in an empty cart. I’ll pay you 4 copper a cart.”
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 2/2
Mana: 8/8
AP: 2/2


Last edited by CaveCricket48 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:40 am
Profile
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 4496
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 11)
>Locate vaguely trustworthy street urchin or urchins.

>Offer 1 copper to each if they continue to remove weeds from the road while you're away, with another 1 copper if the job's well done when you come back.

>On the meantime, locate a wheelbarrow.


Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:07 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 3782
Location: NORTH
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 11)
>Find a magical facility or shop and have this mysterious fabric appraised.


Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:22 am
Profile
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:01 am
Posts: 6211
Location: In your office, earning your salary.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 11)
"This knowledge is suprisingly good for a library of this sort, though scarce sadly. We should get started with this!"

> Ask the young lady if there's anyone in this town that practices magic.

> Ask if we could take any of these books.


Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:39 am
Profile
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 4521
Location: Constant motion
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 11)
>Start filling


Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:26 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2991
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 11)
"I'm not surprised. I could read about this for hours, but it's of little practical value. Actual magical application knowledge would be better found in a barracks or academy.
Met a nice girl and learned about magic weapons at least."
> Thank the nice girl and follow along. Practice little controlled bursts of Kinetic energy while we walk.


Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:44 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 10424
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 12)
Roll 12



Name: John Freemaneth (TorrentHKU)
Race: Human
____________________

P’orihc: "This knowledge is suprisingly good for a library of this sort, though scarce sadly. We should get started with this!"

John: "I'm not surprised. I could read about this for hours, but it's of little practical value. Actual magical application knowledge would be better found in a barracks or academy.
Met a nice girl and learned about magic weapons at least."


The two of you head to the front of the library, livelier than the back with the thought-chatter of the librarian.

P’orihc asks the young woman if there’s anyone in town who practices magic, and if he can borrow the book he grabbed. You ask if you can take your book as well, after a quick change of thought.

???: ”Yup, I just need your names for the checkout log.”

She pulls out a stack of papers from behind the counter and readies a pen.

???: ”As for magic practitioners, there’s a shop in town called Eitulta’s Lamps, it sells magic-powered light sources. I’d assume the man who runs the place is a mage of some sort, or at least has someone there that is. If not, then you’d be better off looking in Vranhal.”
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 4/4
Mana: 4/4
AP: 3/3

Cut: 10/40 (Patched up)
Strength -10 => -6
Evasion -10 => -6



Name: Kleigg (TheKebbit)
Race: Human
____________________

You look around town for some sort of magical facility. It doesn’t look like there’s anything of the sort, until you pass a shop called “Eitulta’s Lamps.” The lamps visible in the window look like lamps alright, but instead of wicks and combustible fluids or candles they have crystals. Maybe they’re magic powered?

Heading inside, the shop has a large collection of lamps, from handheld lanterns to lamps you would wear on your head or mount on a pole. At the counter is an aged man, grey and white speckles on his beard and short hair, but seems lively enough.

???: ”Welcome to Eitulta’s Lamps, how can I help you?”

You present the mysterious fabric to the man and asks if he can provide information about it. He reaches for it, asking “May I?”, to which you nod. The fabric is set on the stone counter, and the man peers closely through his spectacles.

???: ”Interesting, it seems to be absorbing any light that touches it.”

After a few minutes of poking, he stands up.

???: ”From what I can tell, it absorbs light and magic energy. It seems to be a mana stone that is only operated with electricity. A bizarre object, maybe it’s a construct? I can’t really tell you for sure, unfortunately, this kind of thing is out of my league. Maybe you can run it up to Vranhal, I’m sure they’ve got a mage that has an eye for this kinda thing. Where did you find this? Or, maybe I’m being a bit nosy.”
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 4/4
Mana: 4/4
AP: 3/3



Name: Wolf (Areku)
Race: Lupus
____________________

You take a walk around town, looking for vaguely trustworthy-looking street urchins. A trio catches your eye, the three of them handing a large crate to an old man standing in a doorway.

Old Man: ”Thankee young lads! These ol’ bones of mine aren’t so great at liftin’ these days.”

Swordsman 1: ”No problem, we’re just doing a bit of work for dinner.”

The old man gives the trio a few coppers before thanking them again and closing the door.

Wait… You know that guy! Swordsman 1! And Swordsman 2 and Archer are with him as well!

The trio turns to head off but their gaze catches you.

Swordsman 1: ”Wait, you’re that guy! Player 3!”

Well, they seem trustworthy enough. You give them the run-down on the plan.

Swordsman 1: ”Huh, I see. Not bad. Yeah, we’ll get them roads clear, leave it to us.”

A quick deposit of a copper each sees them off, and you go on a hunt for a wheelbarrow. It takes a while, but you find a banged up cart abandoned in an alleyway with the left wheels detached. A little elbow grease and some nails harvested from old broken crates and the cart is good enough for hauling.
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 8/8
Mana: 2/2
AP: 2/2



Name: P’orihc (Asklar)
Race: Chirop
____________________

"This knowledge is suprisingly good for a library of this sort, though scarce sadly. We should get started with this!"

John: "I'm not surprised. I could read about this for hours, but it's of little practical value. Actual magical application knowledge would be better found in a barracks or academy.
Met a nice girl and learned about magic weapons at least."


The two of you head to the front of the library, livelier than the back with the thought-chatter of the librarian.

You and John ask if you can borrow the books you grabbed, and if there’s anyone in town that practices magic.

???: ”Yup, I just need your names for the checkout log.”

She pulls out a stack of papers from behind the counter and readies a pen.

???: ”As for magic practitioners, there’s a shop in town called Eitulta’s Lamps, it sells magic-powered light sources. I’d assume the man who runs the place is a mage of some sort, or at least has someone there that is. If not, then you’d be better off looking in Vranhal.”
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 2/2
Mana: 8/8
AP: 2/2



Name: Ki’stha (Roast Veg)
Race: Chirop
____________________

You haul the grain as best as you can, switching out the carts when they’re full.

You fill one carts in no time! Though, your noodly chirop arms aren’t quite suited for manual labour. Maybe this isn’t the best job.
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 2/2
Mana: 8/8
AP: 2/2


Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:47 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2991
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 12)
> John Freemaneth shall sign the paper.
"You know, we never caught your name."


Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:01 am
Posts: 6211
Location: In your office, earning your salary.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 12)
> Sign the paper.


Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:50 am
Profile
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 4521
Location: Constant motion
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 12)
> Do another cart then claim my payment


Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 3782
Location: NORTH
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 12)
>Depart for Vranhal.


Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:50 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 4496
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 12)
>HEAD FOR THE QUARRY

>Retrieve as many cobbles as possible before getting overly tired, pile next to road. People must see this is being worked on!

>Pay assistants.


Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:59 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 10424
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 13)
Roll 13



Name: John Freemaneth (TorrentHKU)
Race: Human
____________________

Both you and P’orihc sign the paper in the space indicated.

"You know, we never caught your name."

???: ”Sanoa. Some people call me ‘Sano,’ others ‘Noah,’ I don’t mind either.
Well, you’re all set to go, Mister Freemaneth and P’orihc-ekis.”

____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 4/4
Mana: 4/4
AP: 3/3

Cut: 9/40 (Patched up)
Strength -9 => -5
Evasion -9 => -5



Name: Kleigg (TheKebbit)
Race: Human
____________________

You retrieve your mysterious loot and leave the shop, with the man shouting a “come back again!” as you leave the door. A quick questions to a passerby points you to the North East to get to Vranhal, and you set out on your journey, which is apparently a fairly long walk. Once you reach the edge of town, you peer in the distance, seeing vague mountains in the distance, but Vranhal is a bit too far for the naked eye. To the North however, you see some sort of camp or something closeby, maybe a quarry, there looks to be huge piles of rocks and such.

You take a moment to think. When you first arrived, your party encountered bandits fairly quickly. On a long trek like this, it seems like your chances would be much higher, and going alone might not be the best idea.

But, you’re not going to let that stop you! Or are you?

… Oh look, it’s Wolf heading North to the quarry place while hauling an empty wooden cart. In a few minutes he’s back again, the cart full of stones. He heads towards the South end of town before disappearing amongst the buildings.
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 4/4
Mana: 4/4
AP: 3/3



Name: Wolf (Areku)
Race: Lupus
____________________

TO THE QUARRY

Like your sources said, it’s a short trek North to the mines, where there are a few camps and mine entrances, as well as loads and loads of piles of stone. You load the cart up as much as you can, wave to the miners taking a lunch break, and head back to the road you’re working on, passing Kleigg on your way through town.

You drop your haul of cobble on the road near the town entrance, overly tired (but not really, you’re a lupus, they’re built for physical labour) and make way to find your workers.

You see that your assistants did an excellent job clearing the grass, the double wheel trails now a proper dirt road from the town to a far off distance to the south. One of the men spots you and gives you a wave, before going back to shoveling. By the time you reach them, they’ve cleared another good chunk of distance and hand you 9 coins, which you give three back, 1 each.

Archer: ”Three parties passed by, your plan really is working out. I can’t believe we didn’t think of this.”

Swordsman 1: ”Aye. Also nice feeling like I’m doing legitimate work, good honest work for good honest pay.”

Swordsman 1 and Archer are using hoes for their work with Swordsman 2 wielding a shovel, better suited for the job than your banged-up halberd.

It looks like you’re making progress. The dirt road is being steadily lengthened and your assistants, who are also managing the toll. From a hilltop, you can see the river to the west where you need to get your sand, and you probably have enough funds to get a good amount of pitch to start making mortar.
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 8/8
Mana: 2/2
AP: 2/2



Name: P’orihc (Asklar)
Race: Chirop
____________________

Both you and John sign the paper in the space indicated.

John: "You know, we never caught your name."

???: ”Sanoa. Some people call me ‘Sano,’ others ‘Noah,’ I don’t mind either.
Well, you’re all set to go, Mister Freemaneth and P’orihc-ekis.”

____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 2/2
Mana: 8/8
AP: 2/2



Name: Ki’stha (Roast Veg)
Race: Chirop
____________________

You finish up one more cart before heading over to the barn to collect your payment.

8 copper, not too shabby for short work. You’re not going to be buying a house anytime soon though.
____________________

Conditions:
Stamina: 2/2
Mana: 8/8
AP: 2/2


Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:46 am
Profile
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:01 am
Posts: 6211
Location: In your office, earning your salary.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ad Infidium (Roll 13)
> Head to Eitulta’s Lamps and ask if anyone there is a mage of some sort.


Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:55 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 3845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 257  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Areku


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.031s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]