View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Risen Champions 

Post Re: Risen Champions
Been doing a bit of number work on the combat system, and I wanted to share a balance concern that I think we could resolve pretty easily. It's mostly about the imbalance of the Death Knight's weapon choices.
I will provide many statistics to back up my reasoning, using http://www.anydice.com to chart the possible result of attacks and their probabilities.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Been really, really busy, but that should be expected when you're juggling eight or more stories - this'll probably be switching to fortnightly rolls till the schedule clears up a little, but even so that means there's a roll due today that I'm going to be working on now.

CrazyMLC wrote:
Been doing a bit of number work on the combat system, and I wanted to share a balance concern that I think we could resolve pretty easily. It's mostly about the imbalance of the Death Knight's weapon choices.
I will provide many statistics to back up my reasoning, using http://www.anydice.com to chart the possible result of attacks and their probabilities.

I can see where you're coming from on this, but there's one major problem with adding any new types of die: the complexity of running the game. Oh sure, you're probably shaking your head when I say that, but I am very, very bad with numbers. Extremely so, since I've probably got dyscalculia or something along those lines. It took me over an hour just to do the calculations for the previous roll, adding an additional set of numbers to be worked out during the roll is going to make things even harder for me when it comes to battles.

I think I'll just give one handers an additional block die. That substantially increases their protective capability, since adding that one block die to the two of the shield make them likely to block most attacks, whilst adding an additional offensive die would actually make two handers obsolete since they would have four die and one block if they run with a parrying dagger instead of the shield.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:08 pm
Profile WWW

If you give one-handers an additional block die, that'll actually make two-handers even better!

That's because then if a one-hander tries to attack another one-hander, they'll do no damage 93% of the time.
This would make two-handers absolutely mandatory, since they'll only do no damage 30% of the time - a significantly lower failure rate. They would be the only way to damage anyone with a shield, in addition to being the best way to kill lightly armored enemies. It exacerbated the earlier problem.

This example hones us in on the crux of our main problem. This biggest problem is that one-handers suck against anyone with any defenses, at least compared to two-handers. That's a really big part of what's holding them back.

So here's an idea. If you want the rolling to be simpler and more balanced, here's what you do. Have one-handers ignore 2 block dice. That would obviously make them good even against someone with a shield! It makes shields a way to protect yourself from the vicious two-handers, like they mostly were in reality.
While they still might not do a lot of damage against anyone with heavy armor (no damage 55% of the time) it's at least not a total wet noodle fight if they both have shields as well. Plus, you have to roll fewer dice. Seems like a win to me.

Also if you do that, then increasing the block dice of shields to 3 actually makes sense, so they'd actually deflect two-handers a somewhat respectable amount of the time. Huzzah!

You could also let parrying daggers use the single block die they provide against one-handers, so they become a choice for people who are dueling someone else using a one-handed weapon - just like they were in reality! And since they still get to go around shields, they remain a healthy competitor for the two-handed sword, being deflected less often but doing less average damage. (lower risk, lower reward)

A change like this would be a decent buff for one-handers that would make them much more competitive, or at least a bit more comparable with two-handed options, without overcomplicating the system.

You could even make it simpler by just saying attacking with a two-handed weapon makes shields gain 2 block die, and reduce shields to 1 block die, or something like that. Probably easier than reducing it for one-handers, since they seem more common. Just different wording.

You could also make shields count as armor against two-handers.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6