View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:31 am



Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1441
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
"GREETINGS. YOUNG. BROTHER. PERHAPS. WE SHALL SEEK OUT OUR BROTHER WITH THIS CONTACT INFORMATION WE ACQUIRED?"
After what to most of the party appeared to be an awkward one sided conversation the two techpriests walk out.
Isabel shrugs in a way that tells you this is just how the servants of the machine god operate. The ensuing silence is broken by a murmured question from Toggle:
"We need to find the... cultists? Yes. But where. Where do cultists live..."
"Why don't you accompany Ekaterina on her scouting of the neighbourhood, but please leave the shield behind or at least throw a tarp over it, we can't give away our presence just yet."


GROUP SPLIT TIME!


Group 1: Thiemo and Cornelius

The Cargo 12 takes you to a small church of the machine god. A wide metal domed building with a cog shaped door that slowly rolls out of the way to allow you access.
You enter into a room eighty meters long and twenty wide. Along the sides of the room you can see doors leading to the different sections of the building, to the right are the armoury and garage, to the left the sleeping quarters and offices. But more impressive than the vast architecture of the massive edifice are the two hundred skitarii soldiers lined up in perfect rows next to the red carpet leading from the entrance to the shrine at the other end of the room.
You both receive the binary prayers from the priests within.

DSMK2 - Thiemo Olden

TheKebbit - Cornelius

Group 2: Ekaterina and Toggle

Toggle begrudgingly covers up his prized shield and follows Ekaterina out onto the busy street.
The front for your safehouse is a block of houses in a middle-class neighbourhood. Several agents of the inquisition live in the houses and act as guards.
A few blocks away is a commercial area with several shops selling groceries, clothing and the like. The only thing that stands out is the lone car dealership.
Ekaterina picks up groceries and some pastries to disguise herself as any other civilian. After an hour of walking you come to the following conclusion:

If there's cultists in this part of the hive they either gather in a basement or travel to cult gatherings in different areas of the hive. Either way they'll be hard to find, which is probably why the Inquisition has next to no intel on cult activity in this section.

You relay this information to Inquisitor Isabel upon your return.
Now what?

CaveCricket48 - Ekaterina

TorrentHKU - Toggle Justiceson

CrazyMLC - Casmir Geier

You study yourself in your hand mirror, a few hairs are not exactly where they should be, you quickly fix this imperfection with your other hand.
"Doubtless they cower in the sewers with the rest of the city's unmentionables."
You say to no one in particular. But the Inquisitor overhears and is not pleased with your arrogance while the others are busy.
"Why don't you go and check in with you peers in the upper hive prince Geier?"
The Cargo 12 has since returned and you hitch a ride to the nearest landingpad to take an antigrav speeder to the upper hive, putting the expenses on the Inquisitorial credchip instead of your own.
During the 15 minute flight you have some time to read up on the local Houses.

First there's the relatively small house Hark, all of it's sons either officers in the Guard or distinguished veterans. They may not be the richest but their political power is obvious.
Second on the list is house Eyl, the Inquisition has a lot of files on them after the Administratum mistakenly related them to the Blood Pact general of the same name. The richest house with several mining stations on the system's other planets.
Directly competing with house Eyl is the newer house Rawne, offworlders who came to the Medusa system to invest in mining. Rumour goes they previously had a sector spanning gambling empire but decided to go legit.
Lastly there's the local Navigator household, not quite a royal house but nevertheless a presence in the upper hive. They mostly keep to themselves in their sizeable compound surrounded by a private army.

Or you could go shopping for clothes.


TheMysticDreamer - Clynt Westbark

Since you forgot to tag along with anyone you're stuck in the compound with Inquisitor Isabel, you still feel uncomfortable around her and decide to direct the servitor that's unloading all your gear and equipment. Now that Geier is gone you can set up the psychic dampers that provide another layer of stealth to your safehouse.
When you're done you feel a presence behind you and turn around with one hand on the grip of a pistol. The Inquisitor is in the corner of the storeroom, despite your great reflexes you didn't hear her coming in.
Still creepy.
"When you're done with that you can head out, I've got it from here. Ekaterina should be back soon, you can either go with her or try to blend in with the underhivers."


Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:23 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:19 am
Posts: 1004
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
> Return blessings to the priests. Listen for any untoward binary bursts in the air.
*Rasp*
> Remember the contact details of the Techpriest we are looking for. Ask a fellow priest where we can find our fellow.
"PRAISE THE OMNISSIAH BROTHER. WHERE MAY WE FIND THIS PERSON?"


Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:31 am
Profile
Online

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:04 am
Posts: 208
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
>Hitch a ride on the Cargo 12 when it gets back, and head to the underhive. Try to observe.


Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:48 pm
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2991
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
"They hide their treachery sneakily, like a sneaky sneaker who treachers.
We need a way to catch them unaware, with their treacher trousers by the ankles. Some way to seem... harmless.
EKATERINA! You can medicate successfully, not just unsuccessfully, yes?"


Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:05 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 7399
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
TorrentHKU wrote:
"They hide their treachery sneakily, like a sneaky sneaker who treachers.
We need a way to catch them unaware, with their treacher trousers by the ankles. Some way to seem... harmless.
EKATERINA! You can medicate successfully, not just unsuccessfully, yes?"


> Cock my head at this strange question.

"I medicate in whatever manner you wish."



"Perhaps we should purchase new clothing. If we are to catch anyone by surprise, we need to look inconspicuous."


Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:46 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2991
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
"Ah! A blending of the locals, clever indeed.
You should medicate the colonists! Heals, not harms! Show them a side of you not covered in blood! They will trust you!"


Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:49 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 7399
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Ah! A blending of the locals, clever indeed.
You should medicate the colonists! Heals, not harms! Show them a side of you not covered in blood! They will trust you!"


"Very well. I will tend to the locals' medical needs after we acquire new clothing."


Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:53 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:20 am
Posts: 4766
Location: Good news everyone!
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
Hate to say it, but clothes can wait. Maybe until after I speak with the Hark house.

> Try to arrange a meeting with the Harks.


Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:14 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 2728
Location: NORTH
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
>Listen to the content of the prayers. Are they correct? Orthodox in all respects?


Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:41 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 7399
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
> Go clothes shopping for regular-looking clothes. Keep an ear out for conversations, gossip, news, things like that.


Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:57 pm
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2991
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
> Accompany Ekaterina to the Clever Disguise Store.


Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1441
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
Will be rolling tomorrow, to give you some time to finish conversations etc.


Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:23 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1441
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
Group 1: Thiemo and Cornelius

Thiemo approaches one of the praying techpriests and with his trademark subtly and appropriate volume ask:
"PRAISE THE OMNISSIAH BROTHER. WHERE MAY WE FIND THIS PERSON?"
While sending a pict image of your contact over a binary connection. The shocked techpriest seems a bit disturbed by the sudden intrusion upon his praying mind but considers the question and answers over binary to not disturb the other priests anymore:
"The one you're looking for is Junior fabricator Dreygur, he left this room approximately 247 seconds ago in the direction of the armouries to check the completeness of the inventory."
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP BROTHER."

You vocalize, seemingly oblivious to the disturbance you're causing. If it weren't for your impressive armaments the other techpriests might have spoke up in protest to your behaviour.

Meanwhile Cornelius studies the prayers themselves for heresy.
"Praise be to the Omnisiah twelvefold, once for each tooth on the gear.
Praise be to the dragon of mars eightfold, once for each of his mighty limbs.
Praise be to the mineral, for it's contents will be forged to become weapons.
Praise be to the flesh, for without it there could be no servitors."

A localized version of an older mechanicus prayer.

DSMK2 - Thiemo Olden

TheKebbit - Cornelius

Group 2: Ekaterina and Toggle

"They hide their treachery sneakily, like a sneaky sneaker who treachers.
We need a way to catch them unaware, with their treacher trousers by the ankles. Some way to seem... harmless.
EKATERINA! You can medicate successfully, not just unsuccessfully, yes?"

"I medicate in whatever manner you wish.
Perhaps we should purchase new clothing. If we are to catch anyone by surprise, we need to look inconspicuous."

"Ah! A blending of the locals, clever indeed.
You should medicate the colonists! Heals, not harms! Show them a side of you not covered in blood! They will trust you!"

"Very well. I will tend to the locals' medical needs after we acquire new clothing."


After a short discussion the two of you settle on a plan of action. Before leaving to buy new clothing you instruct one of the many Inquisitorial guards of your plan to set-up a medicae station. He tells you that one of the front can be converted for such needs quite quickly since the torture room is disguised as an operating chamber. Before you can agree he sets off to instruct a nearby servitor to carry the medical supplies to building D.

Ekaterina picks out a servant outfit for the less than pleased Toggle who refuses to take off his Purity seal cape. Since there's no convincing him she instead has a tailor make a flag with some made up heraldy - A lion clutching the symbol of the medicae - to cover up the huge inquisitorial =I= on his shield and a regal looking helmet to pass him off as her personal guard.
Satisfied with Toggle's disguise you head back to the safehouse to find a literal stack of servitors mounting your medicae sign above the door to building D. A small desk has been placed in the greeting room with a cogitator on it to handle appointments. Across the room is a bench for patients.
The backroom is the aforementioned torture room, the guard you spoke to earlier is hosing it away the last bloodstains.

CaveCricket48 - Ekaterina

TorrentHKU - Toggle Justiceson

CrazyMLC - Casmir Geier

You look longingly at some handmade suits as you walk past an up scale tailor on the way to house hark, hesitating for a second before deciding to not waste any time.
House hark inhabits a huge castle like mansion with sentry turrets dotting the walls like gargoyles. This is probably the best defended building after the PDF headquarters you think to yourself as you make your way towards the gate. A gilded servitor greets you:
"Good afternoon and welcome to the estate of House Hark, how can I be of humble service?"
"I would like an audience with Lord Hark."

You reply, the servitor responds with a simple:
"DENIED!"
You should have expected nothing more than this and pull out your Inquisitorial Rosette, as Isabel's most trusted henchman you carry a fraction of the Authority that she has but it is still more than enough to legally enter any home.
Lights flash green and the gate opens, suppressing a grin you walk across the cobblestones towards the massive wooden front door of the house. When it opens the reason for it's size becomes immediately clear, it's not made to impress but to allow the truly huge house guards entry to the building. Standing a good 8 feet tall and easily 5 wide the armoured behemoth carries a spear the length of two men that would require a combination of gene therapy and augmetics to just carry. Strapped to it's left leg is something that is best described as a cannon.
It's voice is somehow quite polite for such a fearsome being.
"If you would please follow me sir, His Lordship will meet you in the dining room."

Lord Hark is looks no more than 50 years old, probably due to rejuvenant treatments, and has an impressive scar on his left cheek. He gestures for you to take a seat at the other end of the table.
"How can I be of service to the holy ordos?"



TheMysticDreamer - Clynt Westbark

Not one to get passed over twice you hop into the Cargo 12's cab the second it returns.
"Take me to the underhive!"
The driver just nods and sets of towards the massive elevator that will carry both of you to the underhive. You've seen many impressive things since joining the Inquisitors retinue but the elevator tops them all, an acre of plasteel hanging from chains the size of battletanks carries yours and dozens of other vehicles down through the hive.
Instead of stopping at evert level a secondary smaller elevator on each one follows the humongous platform to help vehicles disembark.
The driver gets of near the bottom of the hive, or as he calls it: as far as he can go before going back up as a Cargo 8. You thank him for his service and set of along the wide street looking for a way to put your skills to use.
The side streets are full of beggars, mutants and other undesirables that you ignore as the cry for attention. After a good ten minutes of walking you find what should pas for a salloon in these parts. Although the term "hole in the wall" would be quite a bit more appropriate.
Inside it stinks of piss and cheap almasec, making you think of similar places back home. There's a bounty board in the back next to a knifethrowing target, but there's also an empty seat at the bar.



Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:22 am
Profile
Online

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:04 am
Posts: 208
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
>Order something unusual, but that won't make me horribly ill


Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:34 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 7399
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: Roll to Dodge: Inquisition of the Grimdark future
> Prepare the operating room - sanitize everything, make sure things are tidy and professional-looking. A place of healing, not torture.

Wait for some patients to appear.


Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Areku, TheMysticDreamer


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.060s | 16 Queries | GZIP : Off ]