View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 7132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474 ... 476  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Alright, today's plan.
I'm much more familiar with libraries than the Guild, so I'll stick to that and search some news archives. I figure Oliver will want to do that to.
So, Valerie and Evelyn I'd say you two ask the Guild if they have any info, and the local guard or militia if nothing turns up from that."

Valerie: "Will do."

Oliver: "Ready whenever."

[To the library!]
[Other]
7419-01-17 Tuesday

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:16 am

>To the library! Look for maps and geographical records, try to locate the names and history of the old cities, before they fell. Consult newspaper records to see when weird things started happening, and when/why the region was abandoned.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:30 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>To the library! Look for maps and geographical records, try to locate the names and history of the old cities, before they fell. Consult newspaper records to see when weird things started happening, and when/why the region was abandoned.

You look at some maps - It looks like the two big cities in the area are Aileen and Teirce. History - well, they were ruled by the Daeli for the last few hundred years, as were most other places around here.

Teirce was a large textile producer and exporter, while Aileen was a major shipyard and port that served as a trading hub for the area.

There aren't a lot of records as to what happened to the northern cities during the Caelum-Daeli war, other than some people fleeing due to shelling and different sources seem to point to different offenders. Some reconstruction was performed after the war, but communication between cities was almost nonexistent until almost years after the end of the war.

By the time everyone connected with everyone else, they realized that the northern cities were still quiet.

Digging through newspapers with Oliver, there's only post-war mentions of the north, and only of people travelling there and never returning.

Oliver: "Guess the war really messed stuff up."
7419-01-17 Tuesday

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:20 am

”Yeah... We usually think of the East coast as pretty civilized, but things got really bad just a few decades ago.

Anything else jump out at you?”

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:37 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
”Yeah... We usually think of the East coast as pretty civilized, but things got really bad just a few decades ago.

Anything else jump out at you?”

Oliver: "Strangely high number of corruption eaters in this area, accordin' to newspapers. No witches dropping from the sky or anything, though. What're they eating?"
7419-01-17 Tuesday

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 am

”...You’re right, it IS strange. Maybe something big is rotting there, or-

A portal, maybe? Like the dead zone in the northern continent. I wonder if I brought Bezel’s corruption detectors along, we might need them.”

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"Underground core beasts that die near the surface? Weird HM hazardous waste from magic experiments? ...maybe someone's feeding them on purpose?
Hm. Wonder if it's an escaped Daeli pet or something. Or an active crazy Daeli.
Not enough info right now, but I'm glad we all have suits with corruption meters.

Hm. Probably not enough information here to figure it out, but how regional are the corruption eaters? That'd at least tell us where the food source is. Maybe some danger survey maps could piece that together, if they have something like that..."

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Underground core beasts that die near the surface? Weird HM hazardous waste from magic experiments? ...maybe someone's feeding them on purpose?
Hm. Wonder if it's an escaped Daeli pet or something. Or an active crazy Daeli.
Not enough info right now, but I'm glad we all have suits with corruption meters.

Hm. Probably not enough information here to figure it out, but how regional are the corruption eaters? That'd at least tell us where the food source is. Maybe some danger survey maps could piece that together, if they have something like that..."

Oliver: "Don't think there're any maps like that, but sightings are more frequent to the north of here towards the ruins, almost none to the south. Probably not a coincidence."
7419-01-17 Tuesday

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:02 pm
Loose Canon

"Yeah, that would've been an easy money bet.
Hm. If we assume that those few people wandering around were, well, brainwashed... then it's something that can do telepathy and mess with peoples heads, and also produces large amounts of rotting HM..."
> .....what the ♥♥♥♥ this sounds like Aldente experimenting, using rotting HM corruption beams to image spirits.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:06 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yeah, that would've been an easy money bet.
Hm. If we assume that those few people wandering around were, well, brainwashed... then it's something that can do telepathy and mess with peoples heads, and also produces large amounts of rotting HM..."
> .....what the ♥♥♥♥ this sounds like Aldente experimenting, using rotting HM corruption beams to image spirits.

Oliver: "Captive parizard holed up somewhere? That doesn't explain the HM though...

Was thinkin' maybe the eaters are goin' after HM machinery, but I didn't read anything about the cities havin' any notable constructors."

7419-01-17 Tuesday

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:10 pm
Loose Canon

"I doubt it's the machinery at least. When Bezel and I went to the facility on the north coast it was full of machinery, but no real corruption to speak of. I wouldn't think a smart constructor would make very corruption vulnerable or emissive machinery.
And, admittedly I'm guessing, but I wouldn't think that delicate magic machinery would have the kind of bulk to sustain this many HM eaters.
Actually, how long have the eaters been booming? Was it pretty much right when the Daeli rule fell?"

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:18 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"I doubt it's the machinery at least. When Bezel and I went to the facility on the north coast it was full of machinery, but no real corruption to speak of. I wouldn't think a smart constructor would make very corruption vulnerable or emissive machinery.
And, admittedly I'm guessing, but I wouldn't think that delicate magic machinery would have the kind of bulk to sustain this many HM eaters.
Actually, how long have the eaters been booming? Was it pretty much right when the Daeli rule fell?"

Oliver: "It's not clear. No one was really travellin' when the Daeli fell, no one makin' reports. Earliest mention of abnormal numbers of corruption eaters is about seven years ago, about the same time the railways were reestablished up here."
7419-01-17 Tuesday

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:36 pm

”Hmmmmm.

Well. I imagine that’s all we’ll find out here. Shall we go meet the others?”

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
”Hmmmmm.

Well. I imagine that’s all we’ll find out here. Shall we go meet the others?”

Oliver: "Sure."

~

The two of you meet Valerie and Evelyn back at the tavern.

Evelyn: "Didn't get anything too useful from the Guild. Parties of Guild members have made a few attempts to scout the ruins, but none have returned. Largest party was eight men.

A few have gone up to the hermit village for information and have returned without issue, so they don't think the hermit is responsible for any of the disappearances.

Blind woman, wears a band of cloth around her head, covering her eyes. Nice enough to let travelers stay for the night, and tries to change their mind about going to the ruins."

7419-01-17 Tuesday

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:32 am

”Makes sense. Hmm.

We did not find much of use, either - The towns were isolated after the fall of the Daeli, and seemed to just... Up and disappear, at some point. Only concrete piece of information we found was an increase in the number of HM eaters in the area, coinciding with the first expeditions to the ruins, some seven years ago.

So. There’s probably something creating a lot of corruption in there. Whether it’s ground-based witches or something more nefarious, no way to tell.

Well - Unless anyone has other ideas of where to search, I think we should get back to Ingret and visit this hermit lady. She seems to have gone to the ruins and come back alive, at least.”

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474 ... 476  Next