View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335 ... 343  Next
 World Reader 
Loose Canon

Post Re: World Reader
"Ow... Dimmer please.
Otherwise yes."
> Once it's less bright, grab a pair of tweezers and something to wipe blood and look closely.
"Most people would be lying down if they had bullets in their stomach."

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:21 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Ow... Dimmer please.
Otherwise yes."
> Once it's less bright, grab a pair of tweezers and something to wipe blood and look closely.
"Most people would be lying down if they had bullets in their stomach."

Bezel: "Probably."

The light dims a few notches - no longer blinding, but still plenty enough to see.

Bezel transfers herself to a sleeping bag on the floor, and after grabbing an unused towel to wipe away some of the blood and a pair of tweezers, you take a look at the wounds.

Bezel: "I turned off my sense of pain, so don't worry too much."

Getting to work, you carefully open the wounds and, one by one, begin extracting the fragments. As you move the pieces on to a cloth, you occasionally catch Bezel with a strange expression on her face, something like frowning eyes with a half-smile on her lips.

Locating the fragments is fairly easy - they're very distinguishable from flesh by their dark matte color and the way blood seems to slip off, and Bezel is able to detect roughly where they are in her body so you don't miss any.

After the last piece is removed, you drop it in the cloth and wrap it up, walking away from Bezel with it so she can close her wounds via light magic.

Bezel: "Thanks."
7419-12-04 Thursday

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:50 am

"Anytime.

Things turned out okay in the end, but it could have gotten messy. Next time we pull something like that, we'll need to work out an exfil plan, or at least learn proper sign language.
The antimagic ended up being more trouble than it was worth, too. Without it, we could've just made a decoy AM crate and been on our merry way."

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:53 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

Areku wrote:
"Anytime.

Things turned out okay in the end, but it could have gotten messy. Next time we pull something like that, we'll need to work out an exit plan, or at least learn proper sign language.
I- ♥♥♥♥.
Listen to me. 'Next time'. We just broke into a lawless militarized bandit base, stole their weapons, and I'm thinking of how to do it better in the future.
And, and you got SHOT! Bezel, you got shot! In the stomach, three times!
How... how are you so calm still?"

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:58 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Anytime.

Things turned out okay in the end, but it could have gotten messy. Next time we pull something like that, we'll need to work out an exit plan, or at least learn proper sign language.
I- ♥♥♥♥.
Listen to me. 'Next time'. We just broke into a lawless militarized bandit base, stole their weapons, and I'm thinking of how to do it better in the future.
And, and you got SHOT! Bezel, you got shot! In the stomach, three times!
How... how are you so calm still?"

Bezel: "Well, getting hurt isn't new. I'm also used to sneaking around places I'm not supposed to be.

Shooting someone though, that's not something I normally do."

Bezel wipes the rest of the blood off of her body and then puts her shirt back on. She turns her head, looking slightly away from you.

Bezel: "When the first one shot at you, I, I almost expected the armor to fail, I thought, 'he's shooting ralph, kill him now.'

When the one with the rifle shot at me, I was, relieved? Even if the armor failed, I would be alright. We'd both be alright."

7419-12-04 Thursday

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:21 am

"...

True, I'm not the best at combat. Or, survival, in general. Heck, I'm a book nerd who's in way over his head.

But I don't want you to act like that. You're important, both to me and in general. You say you'd be alright, but what if you misjudged the situation? I, hate to see you hurt, too.

Please put yourself first, Bezel."

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:26 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"...please don't think like that. You're, well, incredible, the most amazing single person I've ever met. But, that doesn't mean invincible.
If one of those had hit your liver, you could bleed out in minutes. And you'd have one of those, stuck DEEP inside you.
I, I don't want to see that happen. I don't want to lose you..."

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:33 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"...please don't think like that. You're, well, incredible, the most amazing single person I've ever met. But, that doesn't mean invincible.
If one of those had hit your liver, you could bleed out in minutes. And you'd have one of those, stuck DEEP inside you.
I, I don't want to see that happen. I don't want to lose you..."

Bezel looks away, silent.

Bezel: "I'll try to be more careful."
7419-12-04 Thursday

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:02 pm
Loose Canon

> Nod.
"Yeah. I will too."

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:05 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
> Nod.
"Yeah. I will too."

Bezel eventually stands up and retrieves a ration can.

Bezel: "You hungry?"

You nod - it's been a few hours since you last ate.

Walking back to the table of constructs, you look over it again.

Rows and rows of cards, "spells", you guess, which can be loaded into a variety of small, compact constructs, powered by mana stones.

Bezel stands beside you, handing you a heated ration can with the lid popped open already.

Bezel: "Wonder where all this came from."
7419-12-04 Thursday

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:20 am
Loose Canon

"Not sure. The SN's on the big pods are scratched off, no surprise there.
These ones here are so varied use that it makes me think they're not military, or at least not developed for them originally."
> Look over the cards and small constructs for any branding or identification numbers.
"Bright side, the pods almost certainly confirm that we didn't just steal perfectly lawful weapons from perfectly lawful people."

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:30 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Not sure. The SN's on the big pods are scratched off, no surprise there.
These ones here are so varied use that it makes me think they're not military, or at least not developed for them originally."
> Look over the cards and small constructs for any branding or identification numbers.
"Bright side, the pods almost certainly confirm that we didn't just steal perfectly lawful weapons from perfectly lawful people."

You look at the cards and constructs.

The cards and the constructs all have the same branding on them - some company named CardCaster. Serial numbers, model numbers, all that stuff.

Meanwhile, Bezel looks through the pile of newspapers that the items were wrapped in.

Bezel: "I think these papers are from the UEN?"
7419-12-04 Thursday

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:41 am
Loose Canon

"These, definitely look commercial. You recognize the company CardCaster?
I'm guessing that they either ordered or intercepted a shipment of these. Though, hm, the manufacturer wouldn't put them in newspaper. Secondhand, then. Maybe stolen and repackaged, sent down here? Could just be a black market purchase, in which case the trail is probably well covered.
Kinda far from home, if they're originally from the UEN."

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:43 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"These, definitely look commercial. You recognize the company CardCaster?
I'm guessing that they either ordered or intercepted a shipment of these. Though, hm, the manufacturer wouldn't put them in newspaper. Secondhand, then. Maybe stolen and repackaged, sent down here? Could just be a black market purchase, in which case the trail is probably well covered.
Kinda far from home, if they're originally from the UEN."

Bezel: "Never heard of them. Look at this though -"

She slides one of the papers in front of you -

Nolea Wins '14 Dueling Championship

The image on the page shows a young man posing with a pistol-like construct, and the article describes him as the victor of one of the games in the "National Mage Sports". Dueling, specifically, which is a tournament with one-on-one arena fights with the competitors using various "autocasters" such as Projector, CardCaster, and LoadStone.
7419-12-04 Thursday

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:57 am
Loose Canon

"Sports equipment, then. Potentially dangerous equipment.
But, '14? Damn, this crate's been bouncing around for a while."
> There a full date anywhere on here?

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335 ... 343  Next