View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3932 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 263  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
"Well, at least now Bezel knows where to look. The... Center of it all.

What kind of weaponry should we expect from the witches? Just... Firing energy beams, or do they have some other kind of magic at their disposal?"

Claire: "Weapons, mostly their thermal beams. The initial target is usually explosively heated by stronger witches. The weaker ones is more like really long-range extra-hot welding torch. The military has a thermal-reflective coating on their vehicles with a special camouflage coating on top of that. The camouflage quickly vaporizes when high levels of heat are applied, letting the reflective coating keep off a large amount of heat. Problem is, the air around the witch's beam is super-heated as well as the target, which can still roast soldiers inside the vehicle if it's not completely sealed, or wear away at the reflective coating. Better than nothing, but it's not a guarantee save.

They also various hidden vents on their body that they can emit fire or hot air from. Mostly used for propulsion.

There's one incident of a queen that apparently filled all the empty space in its core with water, and used its vents to create large clouds of water vapor to cover the battlefield. That queen was eventually killed with a lot of casualties on the side, and no other queen replicated that trick yet."

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 am

"...Seems like artillery is the only way to deal with that, yeah.

Thanks for the info, Claire! I'll go see how Bezel is doing."

>Procceed to do so.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:54 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"So they're not organized (or intelligent) enough to share tricks. But they make up for it with tenacity and fast queen growth. Or...
Hm. What if they can't stop growing into queens? They've evolved into such warmongers that some of them just automatically develop into queen doves even when the original is still around?"

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:18 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"So they're not organized (or intelligent) enough to share tricks. But they make up for it with tenacity and fast queen growth. Or...
Hm. What if they can't stop growing into queens? They've evolved into such warmongers that some of them just automatically develop into queen doves even when the original is still around?"

Claire: "It'd be a first if that was the case. I'd also think there'd be far more queens if they didn't stop growing. The soldiers say that plenty of witches will retreat if they sense the battle is lost, they aren't suicidal. Not, completely, anyways."

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:43 am

"Hmm. Would you know if they're physically capable of flight? Because, if they're just using kinetics to propel themselves around (which sounds like a very witch-y thing to do), couldn't we use antimagic fields to ground them, or at least oppose their movement with force constructs?

Seems like it'd be a less damaging way of restraining them."

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:56 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
"Hmm. Would you know if they're physically capable of flight? Because, if they're just using kinetics to propel themselves around (which sounds like a very witch-y thing to do), couldn't we use antimagic fields to ground them, or at least oppose their movement with force constructs?

Seems like it'd be a less damaging way of restraining them."

Claire: "Not sure, but we don't exactly have a bunch of constructors sitting around to build us massive antimagic machines. Not that it'd work well against witches anyways, if anything it's the witches that would be using antimagic against us."

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:17 am

"Might not have a bunch, but you have a *very* good one at your disposal, now."

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:23 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
"Might not have a bunch, but you have a *very* good one at your disposal, now."

Claire: "Seems to me like a waste of her time. I think you're forgetting that witches regularly use magic in and around corruption fields."

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:37 am

>Be miffed.

"Okay, I suppose..."

>Go silent for a while, watch Claire's work. Watch Claire as well.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:40 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Be miffed.

"Okay, I suppose..."

>Go silent for a while, watch Claire's work. Watch Claire as well.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:36 am
Loose Canon

"Ah. Yes. That they do. Not quite used to the realities of magic use around me."
And I guess
>Go silent for a while, watch Claire's work.
Cause I have no better ideas.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:20 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Ah. Yes. That they do. Not quite used to the realities of magic use around me."
And I guess
>Go silent for a while, watch Claire's work.
Cause I have no better ideas.

You go silent while watching Claire work. It looks like she's making diagrams of core components that are below the "city" surface of the core - large, hidden magic machinery that does who knows what.

She occasionally takes small glances at you while drawing, every few minutes or so, until she turns to face you.

Claire: "Do you, not have anything to do?"

Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:04 am

"Better than being close to you? Absolutely not."

>Wink, offer her a rose.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"I'm an archaeologist, not a constructor or researcher. I can dig through dirt and books pretty well, but cores? Not so much. Kind of biding my time for now.
Unless you know of anywhere around here that people used to live in the past. Ruins and such. Well, that aren't in the path of laser birds."

Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:22 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"I'm an archaeologist, not a constructor or researcher. I can dig through dirt and books pretty well, but cores? Not so much. Kind of biding my time for now.
Unless you know of anywhere around here that people used to live in the past. Ruins and such. Well, that aren't in the path of laser birds."

Claire: "There's some ruins to the west, some old town that was destroyed by the witches. Meglunda's military pushed the witches back and it's relatively safe now, but you'd need a vehicle to get there in a timely manner."

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 3932 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 263  Next