View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 262  Next
 World Reader 
Loose Canon

Post Re: World Reader
"My sensor is more or less saying that no corruption is leaking out after they eat chunks of decaying core. Is that due to bulk, their spirit, or is there some specific layer or membrane blocking the corruption?"

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:25 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"My sensor is more or less saying that no corruption is leaking out after they eat chunks of decaying core. Is that due to bulk, their spirit, or is there some specific layer or membrane blocking the corruption?"

Claire: "I don't know what their spirit is like, but their body is definitely shielded against corruption with specialized HM. Even when dead, they block corruption with their exoskeleton and digestive tract. Their 'stomachs' are especially resilient, it's like a flexible chamber that holds HM and can emit corruption of its own to aid in breaking things down.

The army's tried making armor out of HM eaters before, without much success. Even tiny gaps can kill you because corruption gets inside the armor, reflects around the insides and screws you up. Visibility was an issue, too.

They didn't have Bezel though, so maybe it's only possible with a constructor."

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:44 am
Loose Canon

"How's it do against regular magic?"

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:15 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"How's it do against regular magic?"

Claire: "Dunno. It's breakable with sufficient physical force or heat, maybe similar to steel? So it's a lot better at resisting corruption than 'regular' magic."

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:41 am
Loose Canon

"So, blocks corruption VERY well, without impeding regular magic?
This sounds promising. Aside from the obvious armor, wonder if we could use it to boost the scanners, mostly for long range. Have them bounce a larger area onto the sensor."

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:56 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"So, blocks corruption VERY well, without impeding regular magic?
This sounds promising. Aside from the obvious armor, wonder if we could use it to boost the scanners, mostly for long range. Have them bounce a larger area onto the sensor."

Claire: "Oh, that's what you meant by 'regular magic'. It'll uh, probably block it? I didn't test that."

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:00 am

>...

"So, who's up for some HM eater wrangling?"

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:01 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"Yeah, I figured it would.
Well still, wouldn't hurt to get some materials of one. Wonder if the military out here collects any, or if we'd have to grab one ourselves."

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:14 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yeah, I figured it would.
Well still, wouldn't hurt to get some materials of one. Wonder if the military out here collects any, or if we'd have to grab one ourselves."

Claire: "There's a bunch of materials leftover in the warehouse back at Meglunda. Adult HM eaters are pretty hard to kill without some big guns, and the military doesn't really like shooting them. Makes them scared and the next few battles they won't show up to eat the rotting cores. Makes cleanup and movement a bit harder."

By now, the former battlefield is now infested with the bright yellow-orange lights of HM eaters, swarming the smaller chunks or standing in crowds around larger ones waiting for the corruption to lower to a comfortable level.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:37 am
Loose Canon

"Think you can get them to ship some materials down here for R&D?
Jeez, look at them all. How often do they die of natural causes?"

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:26 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Think you can get them to ship some materials down here for R&D?
Jeez, look at them all. How often do they die of natural causes?"

Claire: "Not sure. I don't think I've seen one actually die, that wasn't from being killed by something else. I've read that once they get old enough, their stomachs create corruption stronger than it can handle and basically eats itself and kills the Eater. I think they decay completely after that, so no dead bodies left over."

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:24 am
Loose Canon

"Huh. Hell of a way to go.
So, the corruption deflecting, is it reflective like a mirror or so 'dense' that it bounces off?"

> That's all I got, let's head back.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:43 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Huh. Hell of a way to go.
So, the corruption deflecting, is it reflective like a mirror or so 'dense' that it bounces off?"

> That's all I got, let's head back.

Claire: "Uh. Dense, I guess? It's not just the surface that's stopping corruption."

~

You, Bezel, Claire, Kalob, and Byron crowd around the dinner table where the analyzer-and-display construct is sitting. A graph is shown on the screen with large collection of dots, showing a very clear trend comparing size of core and time until corruption begins.

Byron: "Looks pretty straight forward. The bigger they are, the sooner they'll self-destruct."

Claire: "And if they hit the ground before that, they'll attempt to recompress, reform their body, and flee."

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:39 am

>Gaze at the data a bit more. What about reforming time? Is there some sort of correlation between the witch's size and how long it takes to recompress?

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:23 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Gaze at the data a bit more. What about reforming time? Is there some sort of correlation between the witch's size and how long it takes to recompress?

You press an arrow key on the keyboard to change to several other graphs, looking at other data. You get to a screen that shows you data concerning recompression times, but it seems to be nearly random - no recognizable pattern between core size, height dropped, and recompression time.

Claire: "Now that we have the necessary information, you'll be practicing on small cores, right Bezel?"

Bezel: "Yeah. It'll be a bi tricky with my current mana reserves, though."

Claire: "Now that the rails reach here, we can go to Meglunda quickly and I can grab some mana stones from the core warehouse. There are a lot of mana stones in the vault that you can use."

Bezel: "If everyone's okay with that, sure."

Claire: "The military doesn't exactly have a use for them other than selling for funds, but they're more concern about research than money right now. And you'll be using them for 'research', too!"

Bezel: "Alright. When's the next train?"

Claire: "Tonight at six, I believe."

Bezel: "Okay. Ralph, you coming?"

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 262  Next