View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 am



Reply to topic  [ 3921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 262  Next
 World Reader 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 8688
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
>Study the figure for a moment.

"...Bent them to her will? That, sounds a lot like a certain pasta-loving creature we know."


Claire: "Yup. Bliss drakes and the variants are the only known core beasts to demonstrate advanced, large-scale telepathy.

And, this. Except, this has never been confirmed to be a real creature. No remains found, no other drawings or descriptions of anything like this outside of Heldhalm and derivative works.

So either our pasta friend is a lizard, or a 'Porcelain Enchantress'. Both sound pretty unlikely, to be honest."


Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:08 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 3376
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Well. I wouldn't straight up discard the possibility of a bliss drake, but it seems unlikely. There are recent reports of them, and Aldente said she hadn't met another of her kind in decades.

This, though... The sillhouette, it kinda reminds one of a doll, doesn't it? Which seems to be a bit of a theme with her surrogate bodies.

What else does the book say about it?"


Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:13 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 8688
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
"Well. I wouldn't straight up discard the possibility of a bliss drake, but it seems unlikely. There are recent reports of them, and Aldente said she hadn't met another of her kind in decades.

This, though... The sillhouette, it kinda reminds one of a doll, doesn't it? Which seems to be a bit of a theme with her surrogate bodies.

What else does the book say about it?"


Claire: "Nothing too useful. No mentions to abnormal strength or speed for its size, so no kinetics. The Enchantress is described as 'lazy', which is why it hijacks the minds of so many people. Lives in a fancy mansion in the village that it had the villagers built. No mentions to any sort of reproductive or regenerative traits that would explain how Aldente makes all the puppet bodies. The only thing it provides is pictures, really."

Several pages show the Porcelain Enchantress wearing a variety of human-like clothing, specifically made to fit her larger body.

Claire: "Heldhalm kills her by tricking all of the villager-puppets to search around the outskirts of the village for him. He then locks himself and the Enchantress inside of the mansion and spears her to death. Dies pretty easily in the story."

Another image, this one of the heroic lupus lancing the Enchantress with his weapon, breaking through the porcelain shell and piercing the flesh underneath.


Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:35 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 3376
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Is there any mention of where the village was located, or its name? Or, some sort of chronology to it all? It's a popular storybook, there should be some research about it... Right?"


Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 8688
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
"Is there any mention of where the village was located, or its name? Or, some sort of chronology to it all? It's a popular storybook, there should be some research about it... Right?"


Claire: "No dates, though most people agree it was written within a few hundred years of the Corruption Event. The locations seem to be somewhere in the far north, with all the snow and cool weather. The village itself is unnamed in the story, somewhere mountainy not very helpful with geographical clues.."


Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:19 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 3376
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Hm. I imagine it's not *our* enchantress, if it ends up being one at all, then. The whole 'mansion' thing reminded me of the abandoned manor where we saw the limwulf. Ended up never exploring it, after all.

Hm. Now that we know the town's name, actually, I guess I could search for references to Aldente in old records and the like. Most likely will only find cookbooks, but it's still worth a shot."


Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 8688
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
"Hm. I imagine it's not *our* enchantress, if it ends up being one at all, then. The whole 'mansion' thing reminded me of the abandoned manor where we saw the limwulf. Ended up never exploring it, after all.

Hm. Now that we know the town's name, actually, I guess I could search for references to Aldente in old records and the like. Most likely will only find cookbooks, but it's still worth a shot."


Claire: "I thought you saw a besthus?

I'm not sure what researching the town of Aldente would do - we still don't really know what the Aldente-creature is. Are you expecting there to be sightings or something?"


Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 3376
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"...Yup, besthus. I, really need to make a cheatsheet for core beast names.

Also, she sounded like she knew the town well, and had been there for a while. If the enchantress in your story controlled her entire village, why not Aldente? We might find out she's been more involved in human affairs than we imagined, at least before the witches invaded."


Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 8688
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
"...Yup, besthus. I, really need to make a cheatsheet for core beast names.

Also, she sounded like she knew the town well, and had been there for a while. If the enchantress in your story controlled her entire village, why not Aldente? We might find out she's been more involved in human affairs than we imagined, at least before the witches invaded."


Claire: "Lots of people missing, I'd assume. Hm. If Aldente was controlling most of them, I don't think there would be any information concerning what she is, just strange behavior among the townspeople."


Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:07 pm
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2991
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Well, we did find a truckload of bodies down there.
Aldente IS pretty clever, managed to figure out a good amount about spirits. Might've figured some flesh-warping or something too, to grow the doll bodies. Though that sounds really unlikely too.
Maybe captured a medic or some kind of bio mage, had them do work for it?

How smart are bliss drakes?"


Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:06 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 8688
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Well, we did find a truckload of bodies down there.
Aldente IS pretty clever, managed to figure out a good amount about spirits. Might've figured some flesh-warping or something too, to grow the doll bodies. Though that sounds really unlikely too.
Maybe captured a medic or some kind of bio mage, had them do work for it?

How smart are bliss drakes?"


Claire: "Not anything close to people, probably less than dogs. The extent of their telepathy skill is long-range paralysis, nothing like the complexity that Aldente has shown with remote body puppeting and illusions.

The Enchantress in the story is shown to be intelligent enough to talk, so that's a thing."


Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:11 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 3376
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"...And, what did she say?"


Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:13 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 8688
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
"...And, what did she say?"


Claire: "Verbally directing people, saying various villain-y things, exclaiming why Heldhalm was immune to her enchantments. Probably some embellishment in this, being an old story."


Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:17 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 3376
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
>Ponder gravely, then shrug.

"Yeah, I suppose there's a certain element of doubt in any single account, especially one this old.

Well. What other book would you like to read?"


Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:28 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 8688
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
>Ponder gravely, then shrug.

"Yeah, I suppose there's a certain element of doubt in any single account, especially one this old.

Well. What other book would you like to read?"


Claire: "Dunno. Guess I'll just reread this. I'll be here for a bit anyways."

You pull up a chair, grab one of the books, and read alongside Claire.

A story about mischievous little child-sized creatures with spidery limbs and black skin, hiding in various nooks and crannies and causing trouble in a town. It isn't until a young man with a keychime (an instrument with a piano-like keyboard with metal chimes that are struck for sound) was found who plays music that causes the gremlins to appear and dance along to the music. The town asks the man, Charles the Chime, to lead the gremlins away in return for payment. Charles agrees to lead the gremlins away, but after he does, the town refuses to pay. To get back at the town, Charles plays music to bring all the gremlins back into the town, and plays songs to make them go on a rampage, damaging buildings and destroying crops. The townspeople catch Charles and throws him into a jail cell without his keychime, but when winter arrives, the townspeople all starve due to their devastated crops. Charles starves to death in prison as well.


Well, that was a grim story.

It's later in the day now - probably time to head home for the night. Claire is still reading Heldhalm, which is a fairly hefty tome.


[Head home]
[Other]


Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 3921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 262  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.031s | 17 Queries | GZIP : Off ]