View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 3912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 261  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
> They'll have to be a pretty trustworthy someone, considering the book's subject matter... Maybe we can find an old reference for lupus alphabets and use that.

Maybe. Could visit a library later, the university in Darson has a nice one and they wouldn't care if you're sitting around there reading.

maart3n wrote:
Make some small talk with my travel companion about the reports she's reading.

You feel like making small talk with your travel companion. You're at a loss of words at the moment, so you just stare at her while she reads the paper.

She notices your gaze and returns your stare.

Iiri: "Hm?"

*stare*

You suddenly recall the lupus texts that the diary mentioned, and the book with lupus writing that you found stuffed in the same chest as the diary and other books. Must be a coincide-wait, no, you're pretty sure it's not a damn coincidence. Like, at all.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:03 am
Loose Canon

"Nothing.
Say, you know any lupus scholars? Like, scholars of lupus things?"

Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:46 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Nothing.
Say, you know any lupus scholars? Like, scholars of lupus things?"

Iiri: "No. What for? Found something lupus related?"

Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:34 am
Loose Canon

"I think the unreadable book is written in some old lupus language, needs to be translated."

Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:37 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"I think the unreadable book is written in some old lupus language, needs to be translated."

Iiri: "Ah. Sounds like you'll have to head west, or south. What's that one say?"

She gestures at the diary.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:49 am
Loose Canon

"Diary stuff mostly, day to day life. Mentions those other books, they're apparently all heirlooms or something. The unreadable one is supposed to be some Ruhe holy texts, but without translation they're just scribbles."

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:00 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Diary stuff mostly, day to day life. Mentions those other books, they're apparently all heirlooms or something. The unreadable one is supposed to be some Ruhe holy texts, but without translation they're just scribbles."

Iiri: "Huh. Seems odd that something related to the Ruhe would be near... Close to Niir."

Niir used to be a chirop city - tall towers, which are still standing, and a big 'ol basin for water, though that only partially fills now due to development on the land just north. Lot of canals built to divert water to farmlands instead of the basin.

So, humans got their hands on a Ruhe text, and ended up living near a Chirop city for a while, and from what you can tell, fled or died during the War of Blades.

Iiri: "Wonder if the owner or descendants of the owner are still around."

She looks down, thinking for a bit, with the report resting on her lap. You can make out a few words from your seat, looks like it's the one where the Daeli attempted to take Vranhal and catastrophically failed.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:11 am

>Smile at her.

"A copper for your thoughts? I assume you're not just trying to make sense of my terrible handwriting."

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:32 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Smile at her.

"A copper for your thoughts? I assume you're not just trying to make sense of my terrible handwriting."

Heh, copper. Coins are still in use for small monetary increments, but paper is the main currency, unlike the east.

Iiri: "The whole 'Right to Stockpile Arms' thing that Vranhal has is kinda terrifying. I mean, it's one thing if citizens are allowed to have a rifle or something, but every citizen is allowed to stockpile, well, super weapons. Military-grade constructs, no capacity limits on mana stones or regenerating stones. The fact that they're able to keep everything intact with all the super weapons lying around is amazing.

Though, that's part of the reason why they were able to defeat the Daeli. The Vranhal military was more or less crushed, but every noble and witchhunter strolled into their personal armories, grabbed their biggest toys, and just, went at it.

Well, they had more finesse than that."

She flips through a few pages.

Iiri: "All that experience hunting witches, they were great at handling chaotic situations where squads would be broken up or random allied units would suddenly find themselves in a group with no clear chain of command.

Vranhal hunters operated in a large number of two to six man squads, while the Daeli are used to having a single Conquest caster supported by several dozen mages and soldiers. Vranhal hunters had the advantage of being extremely mobile and capable of changing their squad dynamics on the go, switching members with another squad to fill a need and still keep everything flowing smoothly.

Plenty of anti-magic usage and countering made Conquest difficult to be used to any extent, Vranhal's long-range telepaths kept track of every single Daeli unit at all times.

It's almost like the Daeli walked right into an anti-Daeli city."

She flips to another part of the report.

Iiri: "Their government is, interesting. Technically a monarchy, with nobles and hunters having a high degree of influence. Lord Warren died during the beginning of the Daeli attack, and the nobles kept everything operating smoothly for a bit before selecting Lord Eitulta. Not many people liked him, but Vranhal keeps itself under control with a large number of telepaths, it seems like, who were currently controlled by a noble party. Elizabeth Hopluit pulled several telepaths to her side, captured a large number of others, and after getting support from the witchhunters as muscle, kicked Eitulta out of the Lord's office and took control herself.

There wasn't too much fighting that happened, no one actually died during the usurpation. Once the telepaths and witchhunters were on Hopluit's side, the nobles more or less gave up.

Things have been, oddly smooth after that. The noble house that used to be in control is still given some influence to keep them sated, and they still have their wealth and land and such. Witchhunters have risen the ranks and are now on the same level as nobles. Telepaths have been toned down a bit.

The common mass has more or less been unaffected, so they're not too concerned with the sudden change of control. Lord Hopluit apparently is doing a good job at keeping everyone happy.

It seems strange. I mean, it doesn't seem like anyone really holds a grudge over there. If some political party suddenly took control of this country, there would be assassination attempts, civil unrest, just, not fun times.

Vranhal, they're just, okay with it."

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:33 pm
Loose Canon

"Going to need more than just a copper for all those thoughts.
I suppose it does seem odd. Might have to do with her being a satisfying leader, and improving life in general. Or maybe they're just used to leaders getting switched rapidly due to wars or cullings by monsters.
Or there's always the possibility of brainwashing I suppose, if we want to be spooky about it."

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:51 pm
Profile WWW

"But it could be that Vranhal actually managed to make a system where being the leader is a liability, rather than a route to power. Because of that, nobody actually wants to be the leader, unless they're crazy or are doing it as a public service or something. I'd imagine that's why Elizabeth and Eitulta still work together, it's more like she forced him into retirement."

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:11 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Going to need more than just a copper for all those thoughts.
I suppose it does seem odd. Might have to do with her being a satisfying leader, and improving life in general. Or maybe they're just used to leaders getting switched rapidly due to wars or cullings by monsters.
Or there's always the possibility of brainwashing I suppose, if we want to be spooky about it."

Iiri: "Maybe.

Though their education system's received a lot of flak for teaching kids to be very critical about things, which goes against a lot of other nations' intent on instilling nationalism and respect for authority and whatnot. And then issues with religion and whatnot.

I've talked with a Vran before, he was a bit strange. Dealt with his issues as if they didn't involve him, like, he was watching someone else deal with the issue? I don't know. Critical about things, but calm. Almost, like a machine."

CrazyMLC wrote:
"But it could be that Vranhal actually managed to make a system where being the leader is a liability, rather than a route to power. Because of that, nobody actually wants to be the leader, unless they're crazy or are doing it as a public service or something. I'd imagine that's why Elizabeth and Eitulta still work together, it's more like she forced him into retirement."

Iiri: "I guess being a leader is a pretty big liability to yourself if everyone and their mother is packing enough heat to level the block. Do something wrong and you might not be in a single piece the next morning."

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:16 pm

"Yeah, exactly."

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"The critical thinking probably is part of the witchhunting thing, have to think clearly and quickly when your opponent could have any kind of weird powers and can also twist your own magic and constructs around to bite you."

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:23 pm
Profile WWW

CrazyMLC wrote:
"Yeah, exactly."

TorrentHKU wrote:
"The critical thinking probably is part of the witchhunting thing, have to think clearly and quickly when your opponent could have any kind of weird powers and can also twist your own magic and constructs around to bite you."

Iiri: "I guess that makes sense."

The two of you stare out the window, watching the scrolling landscape with the only sound being the faint rumble of the train.

[Write-in more dialogue]
[Time-skip]

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 261  Next